Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Downtown Retail

Default Downtown Retail

Found this job opening on LinkedIn. Looks like more retail is coming to Downtown Detroit. https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/548750801

Yes! They're not in our market. Great find, good brand that will attract shoppers.

Oh wow really? I didn't have a clue this denim company was still in business. I wore a lot of their denim [[almost exclusively) when I had the money to both afford to live in Boystown Chicago and buy their jeans.

This doesn't mean I'm paying 120 a pair again

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Yes! They're not in our market. Great find, good brand that will attract shoppers.
    This is key! If we can attract retail to downtown that is not found anywhere else in the metro area or state, then downtown becomes more of a draw to come to shop and eat [[and hopefully live)

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    This is key! If we can attract retail to downtown that is not found anywhere else in the metro area or state, then downtown becomes more of a draw to come to shop and eat [[and hopefully live)
    attract? dan g subsidizes these folks with teaser lease rates, not different than a subprime mortgage.
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...it/1045602001/

https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...ock/429174002/

bedrock also actively and aggressively pursues all of the punch bowl socials and warby parkers that have 'come' downtown recently.

as with subprime, rates adjust after 5 yrs, and we're approaching the first turn for the initial wave of folks that came down in the 'bad time' 2012-13'. hope we have enough critical mass to string this thing along...

I'm more interested in organic retail growth in areas like west village + ave of fashion [[neighborhoods - imagine that!)
    Last edited by hybridy; March-16-18 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    attract? dan g subsidizes these folks with teaser lease rates, not different than a subprime mortgage.
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...it/1045602001/

https://www.freep.com/story/money/20...ock/429174002/

bedrock also actively and aggressively pursues all of the punch bowl socials and warby parkers that have 'come' downtown recently.

as with subprime, rates adjust after 5 yrs, and we're approaching the first turn for the initial wave of folks that came down in the 'bad time' 2012-13'. hope we have enough critical mass to string this thing along...

I'm more interested in organic retail growth in areas like west village + ave of fashion [[neighborhoods - imagine that!)
    The 2 articles are not related to your claim that he is pursuing these retail companies using "subprime" rates. Are you saying that all of these national retailers - Under Armour, John Varvatos, Warby Park, Bonobos, Lululemon, Moosejaw, and Nike - are here only due to the wooing of Mr. Gilbert. He is responsible for all of those companies?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The 2 articles are not related to your claim that he is pursuing these retail companies using "subprime" rates. Are you saying that all of these national retailers - Under Armour, John Varvatos, Warby Park, Bonobos, Lululemon, Moosejaw, and Nike - are here only due to the wooing of Mr. Gilbert. He is responsible for all of those companies?
    I would agree that Danny G has been a major force in attracting the retail. In part because he's rehabbed these buildings so they can be used and yeah probably cheaper rent. But to assert he's misguided brands that are businesses themselves and have legal departments into near illegal lease terms like they're swindled Americans in 2006 is quite a stretch.

Neighborhood retail would be great too and I would fully support a store as such as I need it, but downtown needs brands, anchors, and destinations where people want to see and be seen.

I see where Gilbert is taking the downtown retail market. I am leaning more toward midtown and the way that Sue Mosey is taking it with retail such as Carhartt that cater to low to middle income people such as myself. I want the Mack corridor from Cadiuex to Morross to develop with retail as well as East Warren from Alter to Mack. Both have potential growth especially since Starbucks had opened a store on Mack and Radnor. Getting back to Midtown; I would love to see more middle end stores such Home Goods, Bath and Body Works, Old Navy, Gap, etc. As far as the neighborhoods such as Gratiot and Harper, Fenkell and Wyoming, West Warren and Livernois, there would still be more crime clean up to see retail to open in those areas. Pele Pele had tried opening an outlet store on Jefferson near Chalmers and had a lot of trouble staying open due to break ins. The unique high end retails are unique as long as there is a market for them. If not; then you will have a lot of empty storefronts once again.

Detroit Free Press: Store that sells $340 jeans coming to Detroit

http://on.freep.com/2u1rM7q

Nothing much yet, but now it's out there.

I had been wondering for a few years of who is Gilberts target customers for John Varvatos sits practically empty while Under Armor and Warby Parker are getting most of the customers. Is he flirting these businesses to move downtown or is it the DEGC or both. I would rather see Urban Outfiters or some unique affordable clothing or outerwear to open downtown. But this is Gilbert's playground he call the shots. I will continue to shop at Carharrtt how ever that it is spelled. I still think that Levi Strauss would do good downtown

Detroit Free Press: Store that sells $340 jeans coming to Detroit

http://on.freep.com/2u1rM7q

Nothing much yet, but now it's out there.
    Can’t help but wonder lately if the local papers just rip stories right off this board. They have exactly as much info as the OP posted last week.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; March-20-18 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Can’t help but wonder lately if the local papers just rip stories right off this board. They have exactly as much info as the OP posted last week.
    Both this and the Michigan Central Station info appeared here first.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I see where Gilbert is taking the downtown retail market. I am leaning onmore toward midtown and the way that Sue Mosey is taking it with retail such as Carhartt that cater to low to middle income people such as myself. I want the Mack corridor from Cadiuex to Morross to develop with retail as well as East Warren from Alter to Mack. Both have potential growth especially since Starbucks had opened a store on Mack and Radnor. Getting back to Midtown; I would love to see more middle end stores such Home Goods, Bath and Body Works, Old Navy, Gap, etc. As far as the neighborhoods such as Gratiot and Harper, Fenkell and Wyoming, West Warren and Livernois, there would still be more crime clean up to see retail to open in those areas. Pele Pele had tried opening an outlet store on Jefferson near Chalmers and had a lot of trouble staying open due to break ins. The unique high end retails are unique as long as there is a market for them. If not; then you will have a lot of empty storefronts once again.
    I don't see retail such as that taking off in the neighborhoods of Detroit outside of the villages. Crime and not being able to find workers that can pass a piss test is the issues. A high end or even mid level retail location in the neighborhoods would basically need armed snipers, no windows to smash and a metal layer within it's walls to prevent stolen cars from being run into them overnight.

Crain's is reporting H&M is scouting for a location...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-detroit-store

A Uniqlo or Century 21, if they wanted to expand to the Middle West, might bring more draws, but this is still exciting.

A Uniqlo or Century 21, if they wanted to expand to the Middle West, might bring more draws, but this is still exciting.
    This would be an excellent addition to the downtown shopping scene. While living in Europe at least 80% of my daughters clothes came from H&M. More times than not we went in there and came out with a lot of stuff without spending a ton of money. Traditionally their stores in urban centers cover 2-4 floors in smaller footprints.

This forum has been pining for more affordable clothing options downtown, and it doesn't get much more affordable than this.

Great addition; their retail stores in downtowns are always well designed.

EDIT: Before I cause an uproar, by "affordable" I'm talking in terms of fashion retailers. Yes, Walmart, Meijer, Target, Kohls, etc. are all cheaper, but they aren't as fashion minded as the H&M's and Uniqlo's of the world.
    Last edited by EGrant; April-06-18 at 02:27 PM.

Good news if it happens. I hope they have a home section as well. There should really be a row of shops like these, next up would obviously be Uniqlo, but also a Zara, Top Shop, and Muji. There needs to be a critical mass of shops for it to be a real shopping destination.

A downtown retail manager said G Star Raw will be moving next to Bonobos north.

Also learned that G Star Raw is a franchise, which is very unique in the retail clothing business. This means someone bought a franchise and wanted to open in Detroit. That's pretty bold.

This is great news for downtown need a draw store that people of most income could shop at. I wonder what part of Woodward would that pick. Maybe the spot next to Detroit is the New Black. I would had picked the spot where the Carr Center is occupying but it is taken up. I'm still waiting for SEE optical and maybe a Levis/Docker store to open downtown and for the ladies Ann Taylor's Loft

The way things are going, I’d expect a major department store at the Hudson.

A downtown retail manager said G Star Raw will be moving next to Bonobos north.

Also learned that G Star Raw is a franchise, which is very unique in the retail clothing business. This means someone bought a franchise and wanted to open in Detroit. That's pretty bold.
    It's a bold move considering how Detroit put a lot of red tape in the paths of any national chain that want to open inside city limits especially downtown. Let's hope that this move will encourage other national and quality local retail to move into the downtown midtown area

Great news! So bedrock was holding up upcoming retail ride see how the current one are profiting. Now that retail will line Woodward from downtown to Grand blvd I could see the Qline being filled with riders kumping on and off carrying shopping bags from different stores. I hope that H and M get the space next to Under Armour

G Star Raw has opened. For anyone who cares lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast