Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone going to the Movement Festival this Memorial Day?

Anyone else going to Movement this year? Who are you looking forward to seeing? For me this year, Flying Lotus is my main focus. I am also looking forward to RJD2, and the usual contingent of Detroit talent [[Saunderson, May, Goree, etc). I'd say Adam Beyer and Marco Carola, but I'm sick to death of minimal. It will be nice to see a live performance from Octave One again.

Sorry, that thread title should say Memorial Day weekend.

I wish all a great festival and nice weather. I'll be at a rented cottage on Lake Huron, near Grand Bend. Probably our last trip to Canada for quite a while. Looking for work, and will delay our purchase of Passport Cards or enhanced Driver's Licenses until good employment is found.
    Very glad we prepaid for the cottage!

Is it going to cost $100 bucks this year?

^really.
    I went all the time when it was free like the jazz festival. I think the $40 or whatever it costs could be much better spent. There's pleanty of other stuff downtown this summer that isn't a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Is it going to cost $100 bucks this year?
    Presales for the full weekend pass are $40 on Paxahau's site [[paxahau.com).
    There's a VIP package as well, not sure how much that runs as I never bother.

Figured I'd try again by shamelessly bumping my own thread... Anyone going at all? Would be cool to meet a fellow DYeser or two.

This is the one festival downtown that I really would like to go to, but since I'm always camping on Memorial Weekend, have never been able to visit. Luckily I never have plans on Labor Day weekend, and therefore get to spend the weekend enjoing Jazzfest.

Movement always [[used to for me) kicks off the summer and Jazz fest kinda brings it to a close. Best times of the year, between labor day and memorial day.

I plan to see Flying Lotus...looking forward to that portion. Do they just offer a one day pass? Or you have to purchase a pass for the entire weekend?

I wonder will there be any progressive hip-hop at the festival.. non-bling, non-gangster.. Public Enemy should be invited to the show..

Quote Originally Posted by BasementBeat View Post
    I plan to see Flying Lotus...looking forward to that portion. Do they just offer a one day pass? Or you have to purchase a pass for the entire weekend?

You can buy a day pass. Last time it was $20 I think.
    Also going mainly for Flying Lotus, but I'll probably stay most of the weekend.
    He's playing live as well, not a DJ set.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I wonder will there be any progressive hip-hop at the festival.. non-bling, non-gangster.. Public Enemy should be invited to the show..

Not sure about this lineup. The Roots, Mos Def, and Slum Village have all played in the past.

Maybe the E-tards could point the speakers into the city of Detroit instead of towards Windsor. Nothing I like better than hearing the same fucking beat from noon until midnight for 4 nights. It is fucking annoying to say the least.

diver1369 Guest

no no no no

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mclark View Post
    ... I'm sick to death of minimal.
    ^Amen to the end of belly-button gazing undanceable sound. Fine for a concert hall, awful for a festival.

On my list is Afrika Bambaataa, for historical curiosity as he is one of the non-Detroit godfathers of techno and Seoul vs Linder 2x4.

Linder aka T Linder is my favorite. Those of you who attended the first DetroitYES forum meetup back in 2001 ["Fabulous Ruins Night" at the Cass Cafe] will remember him as the DJ who performed for us that night.
    Last edited by Lowell; May-07-09 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ^Amen to the end of belly-button gazing undanceable sound. Fine for a concert hall, awful for a festival.

On my list is Afrika Bambaataa, for historical curiosity as he is one of the non-Detroit godfathers of techno and Seoul vs Linder 2x4.

Linder aka T Linder is my favorite. Those of you who attended the first DetroitYES forum meetup back in 2001 ["Fabulous Ruins Night" at the Cass Cafe] will remember him as the DJ who performed for us that night.
    Yeah, Tom [[T Linder) is an awesome guy and a great DJ. I don't know Seoul but I've seen him play many times. Looking forward to the tag. I've seen Afrika Bambaata a few times now and he is always entertaining. I can only imagine how sick of "Planet Rock" he is by this point though.

Yeah!! I'm going to the movement fest!! It's a world class event in the D! Everyone should embrace this even if they don't plan on attending. All events with a positive economic impact for the city of Detroit is always welcome in my book! Love it!

RJD2 will be cool. Benny Benassi will also be sweet. Can't wait!

Where are the detroityes'ers meeting up?! I love this blog!

We should plan some sort of meetup... so far that makes 3 or 4 of us. Any suggestions?

Yeah, RJD2 will be cool. I've never seen him before, but I only have Deadringer and maybe one other record of his.

I really really wish they'd book Shadow or Krush one of these years. I haven't seen Shadow in years and never caught Krush.

If you like Tom, you will dig Seoul [[Bill). All good guys. Just saw a few of the DTM [[Detroit Techno Militia) guys here in Charlotte. Good to hear some proper techno here.

Missing the fest, but already did WMC this year. Maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mclark View Post
    We should plan some sort of meetup... so far that makes 3 or 4 of us. Any suggestions?

Yeah, RJD2 will be cool. I've never seen him before, but I only have Deadringer and maybe one other record of his.

I really really wish they'd book Shadow or Krush one of these years. I haven't seen Shadow in years and never caught Krush.

RJD2 will be there? Will this be a live set?
    And I would love to see Shadow or Krush!

I'm pretty sure RJD2 is doing a DJ set. Still, that will be cool to see.

23. Default

I can't justify the $40 either. It needs to be free again...and have better performers again. The after parties are better. My husband and I are going to see Dieselboy, can't remember where he is going to be...maybe if you're there mclark [[or anyone else) we'll bump into you.

Years past is what made this event - kids that go now don't even know what it used to be.

I am old. lol.

Vintagesoul - Dieselboy is going to be at CPOP Gallery, I think the first night of the festival. Along with Tech Itch. I'll probably try to stop by there as well.

And yeah, it's changed a lot since 2000. I do miss the old days of the festival, and I hate not being able to take in my own water and food. And I really miss not hearing minimal all day... hell, I miss Richie Hawtin playing the harder shit, instead of the Euro crap he plays now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast