Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default R&B Hall of Fame wants to call Detroit home, but struggles to gather support

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...all_of_fa.html

LaMont Robinson, CEO of the Rhythm & Blues Music Hall of Fame, a former Harlem Globetrotter, and Detroit resident wants Detroit to be the permanent home of the R&B Music Hall of Fam, but he said he hasn't found much in the way of support from local businesses and city officials.

"Robinson believes Detroit is one of the music capitals of the world and that bringing the Hall of Fame to the city could cement that status."

"But the city is also home to the Motown Museum, which preserves the legacy of Motown Records greats like Marvin Gaye, The Temptations and The Supremes, among other household names."

"A lot of people, a lot of businesses feel as though [[the hall of fame) may overshadow Motown [[and) that's kind of been our problem," Robinson said.

https://www.eurweb.com/2017/06/rhyth...motown-museum/

The above article from June of last year states that a building on West Grand Boulevard, just down the street from the Motown Museum, has been identified as a possible home of the R&B Music Hall of Fame.

" The board did announce to the council that they’ve have found a city-owned building on West Grand Blvd., which was the site of a former nursing home which is less then a half mile away from the Motown Hitsvile USA Museum."

"From the information the Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame board has culled, regarding the new plans for West Grand Blvd, and the $50,000,000.00 [[million dollar) development for the Motown Hitsville USA Museum, they could could easily see an influx of 500,000 [[thousand) to 1,000,000 [[million) tourists visiting the new Rhythm & Blues Hall of Fame Museum on West Grand Blvd."

What do you think about this group's struggle to land the R&B Music Hall of Fame in Detroit. Do you think Detroit would be a good home for this?

I'm still a little peeved that the National Museum of African American Music will end up in Nashville of all places.

It belongs in Detroit [[or even Memphis) IMO.

As I had said in another post; Detroit politics at it's best. You will not obstacle in your way if you open a business that is non threatening to a favorite locally business that is already here but to open a nationally recognized business here then you will blow all four of your tires from the potholes that the city will dig in your path

I don't understand what they need from the city government and business leaders. Can't they just buy the building and do it?

The link from June 2017 does not really provide all of the information,it appears as if the building is city owned and they are looking to have it donated,they raised 8 million of a 50 million goal.

I think it should really be up to the voters ?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The link from June 2017 does not really provide all of the information,it appears as if the building is city owned and they are looking to have it donated,they raised 8 million of a 50 million goal.

Here's an idea, don't buy a building that is city owned, there are plenty that are not. It looks to me as if they're creating their own problems

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Explain to is why a business deal is up to voters? Did we vote on Dan Gilbert? Did we vote on originally having a Motown hall of fame? I don't remember voting on construction of the new Hudson tower. Why Is this different. Also, how is that legal????