Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit missing out on marijuana industry?

According to the Free Press it sounds like the city of Detroit can't come up with a viable strategy to regulate medical marijuana, and if it becomes legal recreationally they could miss out on a hundreds of millions, and possibly billion dollar industry. How big of a missed opportunity would this be for the city?

Here's the article in the Free Press
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ney/389134002/

Note the irony that Detroiters might have to go to the suburbs to purchase their drugs instead of the other way around.

It's just wrong that the system so often opposes the will of the voters. I thought these referenda went through some approval process before being put on the ballot. Allowing a judge to instead reverse a vote after the fact undermines the very spirit of voting.

In the meantime, Ontario is handling Canada's legalization process pretty swiftly and cleanly, with a large cannabis store that can legally sell to anyone 19 and older set to open in Windsor in July [[in addition to full province-wide online retail availability).
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-06-18 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    In the meantime, Ontario is handling Canada's legalization process pretty swiftly and cleanly, with a large cannabis store that can legally sell to anyone 19 and older set to open in Windsor in July [[in addition to full province-wide online retail availability).
    So instead of Windsor’s infamous kiddie bars will we now have pottie bars? Sorry I couldn’t resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    So instead of Windsor’s infamous kiddie bars will we now have pottie bars? Sorry I couldn’t resist.
    As I understand it, home use only will be permitted [[except for some medical usages) in Ontario, and lighting up in public will still be illegal. So, no, no "pottie bars".

Here is a rundown from the Province of Ontario on what is about to happen this summer [[although it could be delayed a bit beyond that, if the Canadian Senate drags its feet):
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/cannabis-legalization
    Other provinces may be more permissive though [[for instance, the legal age in Quebec will be 18).

Windsor was one of the first 14 cities in Ontario chosen for a retail recreational cannabis store.

You would think by now they would have plenty of available resources to see how it has worked in other cities and states. Do any of you think that voters will turn out and legalize it for recreational use this year?

It sure doesn't seem like Detroit is missing out by how much of it you can smell on the roads and in parking lots/stores these days. You know it's bad when you can smell it on the freeway with the windows rolled up on both your car as well as theirs! Of course, erratic driving is at an all-time high too...

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    It sure doesn't seem like Detroit is missing out by how much of it you can smell on the roads and in parking lots/stores these days. You know it's bad when you can smell it on the freeway with the windows rolled up on both your car as well as theirs! Of course, erratic driving is at an all-time high too...

Ain't that the truth. Took Warren the other day and ended up hitting the gas and passing some guy because I was getting buzzed following him. Aren't people afraid cops can smell it, or doesn't it matter anymore?

^^^ Yeah, the smoke is public, often.

But you best not light a cigarette on earth for fear of offending via that second-hand smoke.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-13-18 at 05:44 AM.

I don't think Detroit is missing out. We headed to the original Buddy's on Saturday and saw at least 5 dispensaries in a span of a few miles driving 8 mile from Eastpointe on down. Just a few names I remember...Starbuds, Code Green, The Reef.

I think I have a good idea how to use that weed. I've read some great info on https://cannasos.com/news/cannabis-1...l-a-cone-joint that can help us be in a great mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I don't think Detroit is missing out. We headed to the original Buddy's on Saturday and saw at least 5 dispensaries in a span of a few miles driving 8 mile from Eastpointe on down. Just a few names I remember...Starbuds, Code Green, The Reef.
    My favorite is House of Dank.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarite View Post

From the Dave Jordano thread.

https://davejordano.com/marijuana-di...nsaries-1-2016

Missing out?

Only on the tax revenue. Detroit, the State of Michigan...

No worries tho, the conservatives have it all figured out.

The rest of of us who do not spark up will just pay more of our share of taxes as the weed economy grows constantly.

Next we all get to pick up the tab for attempting to enforce laws that can’t even dent the availability of a weed that does grow in fact anywhere.

Basements, closets, spare bedrooms, garages, backyards...

Good thing they have a plan that works!

^^^ I dunno, if the ethicality of everything is based on tax revenue......?

I remember that summer of 2016 before the regulations when they were popping up all over, especially on eight mile!

Some non-marijuana spots started using the green neon lights too. Marketing has many colors!

Last edited by Zacha341; May-08-18 at 05:52 AM.

Yeah, before basic regulations came about it was nuts. I saw near shacks putting up their green shingles/ bulbs, back to back. One on Linwood was not more than a lean-to with an intermittent flickering green bulb! The remaining shops are less garish/ gaudy!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-08-18 at 05:52 AM.

Seventh row, middle pic at least dispenses [[pardon the pun) with the green screaming neon. Kinda cool lighting there, circular signage.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ I dunno, if the ethicality of everything is based on tax revenue......?
    If a minority is imposing their ethics on a majority is it ethical?

and that one too!

It is when you agree with the ethic!

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    If a minority is imposing their ethics on a majority is it ethical?
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-06-18 at 05:26 PM.

Promoting further decline of society and especially those in Detroit. This weed crap is such a joke. In my eyes 75% of the patients are only smoking for fun. Fine if you have an ailment and it helps. See and smell so many people smoking while driving also. Sure... add high drivers to the road now since it’s so easy to get. Again it’s a total joke! I’m disabled-can’t work and need weed. F$&@ these people

Prefer NOT to have even more stoned idiots driving around, thank you.
    We have plenty of them already, all around/in greater metropolitan Detroit .

I had the fun of renting a car and when I got in it stank of weed. I quickly requested another vehicle. I don't want second hand smoke of any kind around me [[tobacco or weed).

Some folks use the vape device to minimize the smell and residue.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-06-18 at 09:19 PM.

There, there you're sounding very, VERY intolerant----!

Jokes aside, no, I don't desire to be driving along side folks drinking in their cars, no less smoking marijuana. I work in very social settings, and don't want that tell-tell smell upon my clothes, so I refuse to get into or take a ride in a car with active smoking. I have a friend who uses edible marijuana at night for insomnia, as they want to preserve full functioning of their lungs. And avoid the drama of their home, clothing, etc smelling of marijuana.

Course some say weed has no impact on their performance, lifestyle or health. How wonderful, a medicinal, eh-hmm, with no cons, only pros. Ok.

Anyway, the jury is still out, especially on the developing brain of children, etc. It's not optimum safe driving among the distracted or impaired whatever the causation is, but how can you control that? What I find interesting is how strong and lingering the smell is.

Like tobacco smokers, some less-than-discrete marijuana smokers don't realize how obvious it is to others that they smoke. I can only imagine the depreciation value when selingl a car with mj smoke imbedded into the upholstery, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Promoting further decline of society and especially those in Detroit. This weed crap is such a joke. In my eyes 75% of the patients are only smoking for fun. Fine if you have an ailment and it helps. See and smell so many people smoking while driving also. Sure... add high drivers to the road now since it’s so easy to get. Again it’s a total joke! I’m disabled-can’t work and need weed. F$&@ these people
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-08-18 at 05:39 AM.