Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Take Another.Look at Detroit

I came across this bit of nostalgia that popped up in my news feed. This is an old Conventions and Visitors Bureau campaign called "Take Another Look at Detroit c. 1975"
    Anything in this video jog your memory of coming up in the city? Such as the. 75¢ it cost to use the Windsor Tunnel? Or maybe when there was once a hotel that featured the Playboy Bunny 🐰 logo on it [[not really sure what and where this was, maybe you guys can help me out with that one).

https://youtu.be/i-aMeTfumXg

Do not recall a Playboy hotel, but the Playboy Club was on E. Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Do not recall a Playboy hotel, but the Playboy Club was on E. Jefferson
    Wasn't there a Playboy Club near 8 mile & Greenfield on the Detroit side of 8 mile?

Oh, how cheesily mid-'70s! It does bring back a lot of memories for those of us who were around downtown a lot in those days.

Obviously a lot of Emily Gail [[remember her?) involvement here, from the "Say Nice Things About..." style "Detroit" logo on the t-shirt worn by the young lady emerging from the pool at the beginning, to the guy with the ice cream cone from her store, to a walking, talking cameo appearance by Emily herself, along with a fair amount of narration by her.

Nice to see that ol' pickup joint on the deck at the P'Jazz concerts at the Pontch again. Have some fine memories of getting in there when I was, ummm, a little young to be there, seeing some dynamite musicians, and meeting some fine "older" women.

Oh, and there's ol' "Dr." Leonard B. Smith, in his full faux-military regalia, directing yet another program of "stirring" marches for the oldsters at Belle Isle. And pre-Hart Plaza ethnic festivals! When they were on the riverfront, on the abandoned railroad ROW west of Cobo. Of course, there's ol' Coleman himself, proudly pointing out the half-finished Ren Cen. And that whole desperately hopeful "things just have to get better soon" mid-70s vibe. All it needs is a WIN button!

Great stuff.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-06-18 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Wasn't there a Playboy Club near 8 mile & Greenfield on the Detroit side of 8 mile?
    That was the short-lived second Playboy Club in the old Boesky's building on the Lodge just south of 8 Mile. It opened a little while after the original club on Jefferson closed around the time this film was made.