Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Chief Craig says arming teachers is a good idea...

Well we knew it was just a matter of time before we started having a conversation about armed teachers and our DPS. While Craig believes that only specifically trained teachers should be allowed to carry, and this course of action isn't the only tactic that we should be discussing, Duggan is in complete disagreement.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...uns/110892644/

What a fool.
    It would be better for him to explain why one of his officers was killed in an unauthorized training exercise. Its been two weeks. How long does it take to do an investigation?

What a great idea. I guess teachers will need to carry because the idea of locking up on school premises will be debated. It's a truly enthusiastic time for weapons manufacturers and their pilot fish industries.

Don't think of the safety. Think of the money.

Chief Craig is apparently an idiot.

The solution to guns in schools isn't more guns in schools [[which is obvious to everyone on the planet except for the U.S.). Why not just give every toddler an AK, just to be "extra safe"?

Just out of curiosity, if we did arm teachers, who would assume the legal liability if a teacher misuses that weapon or is negligent with it? The school district? The teachers themselves? Or do we just chalk it up to "oops, accidents happen!" as is so often the case with firearm "accidents?"

Here's two actual, real-world incidents for reference:
    -A teacher in Utah drops her pistol while using a school bathroom, the pistol fires, shattering the toilet and wounding the teacher in the leg.
    -A teacher in Pennsylvania accidentally leaves her pistol sitting on top of the toilet after using the restroom. It is later found by some elementary school students.

And of course, let's not forget the more local example of the Bay City deputy and the science teacher that sent a bullet flying through the wall while using a device to test the trigger pull of the deputy's weapon in a science classroom. A teacher in an adjacent classroom was wounded in that little kerfuffle.

The more guns we put into schools, the more likely we are to see incidents like this. They WILL happen. They have already happened. Who will be responsible?

What no trolls from the NRA here to relentlessly spam this thread the way they have in formidable numbers on other discussions sites and comment sections addressing this hot-button issue?

-oh, that's right, it's barely two hours old, so...eh, I just guess we wait a few minutes and the typical RW reactionaries and trolls that have taken over most of DY will come rolling in on their flaming garage truck.

And I thought I could just pop in quick enough to compare writing styles of those here with those elsewhere [[not that I have even cared one bit to disguise my writing style elsewhere. For shame!-chalk it up to someone who earnestly believes in being a genuine participant who says the same consistent thing the same consistent way.)

Ohhhh, and there is just one other thing [[turns around like Columbo)....after some of the recent stories of teachers locking up troubled kids or having the police come and take them away in handcuffs, do we really want to see our schools become like armed high-security installations in the name of "freedom"?
    Last edited by G-DDT; February-28-18 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    What no trolls from the NRA here to relentlessly spam this thread the way they have in formidable numbers on other discussions sites and comment sections addressing this hot-button issue?
    It's 7pm in Saint Petersburg right now, many have gone home for day from their job at the Internet Research Agency.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    It's 7pm in Saint Petersburg right now, many have gone home for day from their job at the Internet Research Agency.
    Glad someone here on DY can at least say that with out treating the insurmountable evidence as something to be debunked.

Has anyone asked teachers about this idea?

I'm trying to imagine which teachers I've had in my life who would even accept being armed, let alone want to be armed. The few I could imagine had such hot tempers that they're likely to be the ones who shouldn't be armed.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Has anyone asked teachers about this idea?

I'm trying to imagine which teachers I've had in my life who would even accept being armed, let alone want to be armed. The few I could imagine had such hot tempers that they're likely to be the ones who shouldn't be armed.
    Seriously though.[[-and I do mean it, not as a tone of contention.)

I mean, I've read enough stories [[plus that movie by Mel) of people who were lured into the armed forces with the promise they could be COs and then faced harsh measures when they failed to comply with something contrary.

Granted, there's no strong talk of enforcing this with teachers and we can hypothesize a slipper-slope here, but let's just entertain the "what if?" where we find a teacher [[at a parochial school, or otherwise-maybe somewhere south in Texas or Florida) is being told by administration, parents, and community that they are not as "patriotic" or "as concerned for the safety of the students as they should be" because they won't carry a loaded weapon to class.....

oh, and just a little survey: who grew up in a school where they regularly and zealously paddled kids for the slightest infraction? Yeah, most kids today would never believe me if I told them I suffered that for the first four years of my Evangelical Lutheran education.

Chief Craig should focus his energy on enforcing the laws that are already on the books in his jurisdicton that amongst the most dangerous in the country instead of weighing in on subjects he clearly hasn't thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Chief Craig is apparently an idiot.
    This was apparent quite a while ago.

If I were a teacher I'd sure want to be armed. Most teachers with common sense do I imagine. However, school librarians insist their firearms come with silencers.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    If I were a teacher I'd sure want to be armed. Most teachers with common sense do I imagine. However, school librarians insist their firearms come with silencers.
    You must not know any teachers. I know quite a few and all have expressed the opposite opinion, I guess they all lack common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    What a fool.
    It would be better for him to explain why one of his officers was killed in an unauthorized training exercise. Its been two weeks. How long does it take to do an investigation?
    If you aren't an investigator or a cop or working in a police department or any other Investigative Services, how do you know how long it investigation takes? How are you in a position to comment on it?

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post

+5 and 2 thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    You must not know any teachers. I know quite a few and all have expressed the opposite opinion, I guess they all lack common sense.
    I bet there are number of teachers from Sandy Hook Elementary and Douglas Stoneman High School that second guessed that belief.

I don't believe that arming teachers is the answer, but it makes more sense than banning the AR-15 and assuming doing so will end or reduce the number of school shootings. Especially when said firearm is used is less than .5% of all firearm related homicides and the deadliest school shooting in U.S history didn't even involve one.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-28-18 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I bet there are number of teachers from Sandy Hook Elementary and Douglas Stoneman High School that second guessed that belief.

I don't believe that arming teachers is the answer, but it makes more sense than banning the AR-15 and assuming doing so will end or reduce the number of school shootings. Especially when said firearm is used is less than .5% of all firearm related homicides and the deadliest school shooting in U.S history didn't even involve one.
    Wait what? This is all nonsense. What the hell is wrong with this country re. guns?

First, almost all school shootings have involved ARs. Mass murder is kinda hard with a pistol. Second, mass murders plummeted back when these war weapons were banned [[obviously). Third, there's no way teachers in Sandy Hook, traumatized by massacre, would wish for even more instruments of death in their school.

Today in Georgia, an armed teacher fired a gun in class and then engaged in a short stand-off with the police after he barricaded himself in a classroom. No students were hurt.

What's next, arm the students in case a teacher goes rogue?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Wait what? This is all nonsense. What the hell is wrong with this country re. guns?

First, almost all school shootings have involved ARs. Mass murder is kinda hard with a pistol. Second, mass murders plummeted back when these war weapons were banned [[obviously). Third, there's no way teachers in Sandy Hook, traumatized by massacre, would wish for even more instruments of death in their school.
    Your statement is a false. The majority of school shootings do not involve the AR-15 or any other similar semi-automatic rifle. On average since 2004 when the ban on "Assault weapons" ended they have accounted for about 27% of mass shooting events at schools. The vast majority of these acts were committed using pistols and that includes the deadliest school shooting in American history where a man killed 33 students at Virginia Tech with a pistol.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-28-18 at 03:45 PM.

Israel does it right. An armed guard with military training guards the entrance to their schools. They are required to complete refresher training every 4 months. CBC ran a segment on it on last night's news but I couldn't locate it. Of course this requires an investment - maybe tax firearms sales or get the NRA to pay for it.

This says it all....

Name:  636553487707454686-28.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  67.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Israel does it right. An armed guard with military training guards the entrance to their schools. They are required to complete refresher training every 4 months. CBC ran a segment on it on last night's news but I couldn't locate it. Of course this requires an investment - maybe tax firearms sales or get the NRA to pay for it.
    Or maybe we could pay for it with the 3+ billion we donate to Israel every year. And when I say "we" I mean Americans, so that obviously doesn't apply to some people posting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Or maybe we could pay for it with the 3+ billion we donate to Israel every year. And when I say "we" I mean Americans, so that obviously doesn't apply to some people posting here.
    I tend to agree with you. If you're determined to arm every nutcase in the country you should probably take some of those foreign aid dollars to protect your own kids.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast