Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Emagine, Big Sean plan to open new Detroit movie theater

"Emagine Entertainment Inc. and Detroit-born rapper Sean "Big Sean" Anderson are opening a new movie theater in downtown Detroit.

"Although the Troy-based company has not yet determined a precise location for the theater, which would also include a new music venue, it would provide a new movie option in a city where few exist."

No site listed, but "An entity tied to Paul Glantz, the founder and chairman of Emagine, has been accumulating property in Detroit's Milwaukee Junction neighborhood, buying a building with a mural saying "We Kahn Do It!"

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-movie-theater

As I mentioned last time this topic was brought up...I think this needs to be the point of the spear for new developments downtown incorporating underground parking. Movie theaters require seas of parking. They also require large footprints. That combination should create a very reasonable feasibility.

Maybe this would fit in with the Comerica Park development?

EDIT: "Detroit Live!"
    Last edited by EGrant; February-27-18 at 10:03 PM.

Don't get too excited about this announcement, folks. Emagine has a history of announcing new theaters with great fanfare only to abandon those plans shortly thereafter. In recent years they generated much hype stating that they would build a venue in St Clair Shores, which never happened. They also created much publicity for themselves by claiming plans to open theaters in two separate locations in Grosse Pointe which, thank the dear Lord, did not come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Don't get too excited about this announcement, folks. Emagine has a history of announcing new theaters with great fanfare only to abandon those plans shortly thereafter. In recent years they generated much hype stating that they would build a venue in St Clair Shores, which never happened. They also created much publicity for themselves by claiming plans to open theaters in two separate locations in Grosse Pointe which, thank the dear Lord, did not come to fruition.
    Don't forget that Emagine at this moment may likely be more of a seller, just last year they sold their Woodhaven location to AMC.

Sounds great. I hope it will go in Midtown or New Center as opposed to Downtown.

Ok I’m going to be "that guy" and address the 300lbs polka dotted elephant in the room.
    I know I’m gonna get some push back from this so whatever.
    Security. This needs to be in a "controlled" environment, I.E a building with controlled access not a freestanding cinema like Royal Oak.
    I’m thinking maybe the new Hudson site?
    If people don’t feel safe we all know it will fail.
    We had this same issue in LA , back in the 90’s, when they proposed a large movie theater.
    The first major one in universal studios had paid parking and a slight rebate at the box office.
    Price is another thing that needs to be kept in check , no $1.00 movies.
    Also most people see movies via firestick ect , so there needs to be a special reason,movie theater to get people out.
    I truly am not a hater and do wish for the best , but in these current times better to be safe than sorry.

It needs to be done like this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArcLight_Hollywood
    https://www.arclightcinemas.com/
    They also have cinemas in Chicago and are expanding nation wide

And yes ,I have no problem outside of a Michigan chain. they haven't shown any love to Detroit so
    Last edited by Detroitdave; February-28-18 at 04:34 PM.

Why does there need to be such high security? I've been to a few theatres in downtown areas and they operate the same as any suburban theater.

Just want to give you a chance to clarify before I read between the lines too much on your comments.

Since Milwaukee Junction is mentioned, the NW corner of the I-75 / I-94 interchange strikes me as possible site. Much of it is cleared and knock down Fisher 21 and there is plenty of space for further development. It would also have the advantage of ease of expressways access.

Name:  moviesite.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  120.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Why does there need to be such high security? I've been to a few theatres in downtown areas and they operate the same as any suburban theater.

Just want to give you a chance to clarify before I read between the lines too much on your comments.
    The Bel Air [[8 Mile) Theater has had metal detectors and pat down searches since the 1980s. Should one read between the lines to your comment and question as well?

It should be near the LCA

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    The Bel Air [[8 Mile) Theater has had metal detectors and pat down searches since the 1980s.
    Huh?

That was the furthest thing from the case when I last went there in the mid 2000s or so. Hell, back in the 1980s [[when it was an AMC), that part of Detroit was solisly middle class, amongst the safest and majority white.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Huh?

That was the furthest thing from the case when I last went there in the mid 2000s or so. Hell, back in the 1980s [[when it was an AMC), that part of Detroit was solisly middle class, amongst the safest and majority white.
    8 Mile Rd. was "solidly middle class, among the safest and majority white" in the last few decades? I seriously doubt it.

There were some remaining elderly whites along E. 8 Mile until recently, but certainly not the majority, and that corridor hasn't been middle class or super safe since forever. It's been horrible for 40 years.

Huh?

Huh as well...you must be thinking of another theater and another part of town.

They had metal detectors and pat-downs in Southfield movie theaters during the 1990's. I would imagine the same is true along this much rougher stretch of town.

Huh as well...you must be thinking of another theater and another part of town.
    No, I think you just have a bad memory.

I recall sneaking snacks in there last I went. There's no way I would have got away with that if there were pat downs and metal detectors.

Now thinhs may have changed since I went there back in the mid 2000s, but it wasn't like you described back then [[and certainly not that way back in the 80s).

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    8 Mile Rd. was "solidly middle class, among the safest and majority white" in the last few decades? I seriously doubt it.

There were some remaining elderly whites along E. 8 Mile until recently, but certainly not the majority, and that corridor hasn't been middle class or super safe since forever. It's been horrible for 40 years.

Back in the 1980s, yes. In fact, this was a popular area for city workers.

The demogrphics didn't really start for the worse in NE Detroit [[roughly north of 7 mile, east of Van Dyke, eaat of Kelly and South of 8 Mile) until the drug war got out of hand during the late 80s/early 90s and especially after the lifting of the residency requirement.

The fact that the area was so well served at the time by commercial establishments [[healthy Eastland Center, Bel Air, Kroger, etc.) highlights this.

No, I think you just have a bad memory.

I recall sneaking snacks in there last I went. There's no way I would have got away with that if there were pat downs and metal detectors.

Now thinhs may have changed since I went there back in the mid 2000s, but it wasn't like you described back then [[and certainly not that way back in the 80s).
    No you're wrong on all counts. You must be thinking of the Beaconsfield [[Eastland) Theater and Harper Woods.

No you're wrong on all counts. You must be thinking of the Beaconsfield [[Eastland) Theater and Harper Woods.
    Nope, I'm definitely talking about the AMC/Phoenix Theatre at Bel Air.

I have a good memory. I would remember what you described if I had to endure it.

Nope, I'm definitely talking about the AMC/Phoenix Theatre at Bel Air.

I have a good memory. I would remember what you described if I had to endure it.
    Well, I [[and other friends) went through a metal detector and pat down there on more than one occasion [[and not at night). I also shopped at the Bel Air Center as well as have friends whom shopped/worked there as well. By the way, it was a Farmer Jack and not a Kroger there.

I would only feel unsafe if they have upholstered seats.

The emagine royal oak has all metered parking [[off street). You also reserve your seat ahead and there are strict curfews for minors etc [[palladium). there’s a bar/restaurant too, so if one is looking to make a ruckus, one must spend first $$$

People go to movies to ‘get out’ and ‘do something’. So I don’t see them going away so long as studios turn out stuff people want to see out of the home.

Well, I [[and other friends) went through a metal detector and pat down there on more than one occasion [[and not at night). I also shopped at the Bel Air Center as well as have friends whom shopped/worked there as well. By the way, it was a Farmer Jack and not a Kroger there.
    I was referring to the 7 Mile / Gratiot Kroger. But the point being, the fact that this area in the city was so well serbed by retail shows it was a healthy middle class area at the time [[80s, 90s and early 2000s).

And that's surprising with respect to your experience. I had a completely different one [[going there on Saturday afternoons).

I was referring to the 7 Mile / Gratiot Kroger. But the point being, the fact that this area in the city was so well serbed by retail shows it was a healthy middle class area at the time [[80s, 90s and early 2000s).

And that's surprising with respect to your experience. I had a completely different one [[going there on Saturday afternoons).
    I'll agree with you on your 80s to early-mid 90s point, but not by the mid 90s to early 2000s.

The fact that the 90s [[not the one from previous years) Kroger on Gratiot opened and closed within a couple of years certainly wasn't a healthy sign.

My movie theater experience isn't surprising at all. There were a lot of movie theater problems back then [[and now) in Detroit and Southfield. I also went through metal detectors in Southfield at that time [[and again not at night).

Damn, am i old. Bel-Air was a drive-in theater. My theater circuit was Civic, Vogue, Harper, Woods, Alger, and Ramona. Yes, for special shows, i did go to the Cinerama or Adams.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast