Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Helicopters flying over downtown this morning?

Ok, I have to admit I was quite distracted dodging potholes while merging onto 375, but I swear for just a second I saw 5 or more helicopters hovering in a tight formation over downtown. Was I seeing things? If not, anyone know what the heck was going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Ok, I have to admit I was quite distracted dodging potholes while merging onto 375, but I swear for just a second I saw 5 or more helicopters hovering in a tight formation over downtown. Was I seeing things? If not, anyone know what the heck was going on?

Well, whatever you were smoking, I was smoking the same thing. I saw them plain as day. There were 5 and they looked like Sikorsky Black Hawks, but no idea why, and I couldn't find anything online.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well, whatever you were smoking, I was smoking the same thing. I saw them plain as day. There were 5 and they looked like Sikorsky Black Hawks, but no idea why, and I couldn't find anything online.
    Thanks for shortening [[By one) the list of reasons I have for questioning my own sanity! By the time I got to my destination downtown there were no helicopters to be seen. Only one of those sign towing advertising airplanes doing circles.

Thanks for shortening [[By one) the list of reasons I have for questioning my own sanity! By the time I got to my destination downtown there were no helicopters to be seen. Only one of those sign towing advertising airplanes doing circles.

Ok, maybe your on [[to) something. Airplanes usually tow signs @ events. What was going on around noon today?

Nothing that I know of, but I'm sure someone will chime in. I wish Gannon was still around. Five mysterious black helicopters, he'd be all over this one.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-17-18 at 09:58 PM.

Nothing that I know of, but I'm sure someone would chime in. I wish Gannon was still around. Five mysterious black helicopters, he'd be all over this one.

Yeah, he would be. I'm thinking they were a fly-by for some kind of event. They were following the river, then turned and headed NE, like to [[I thought) City Airport. Usually military aircraft will continue East along the river, then across lake St. Clair to Selfridge.

It was a relatively quiet night downtown. There were 5 shows over 4 venues, including a double header at the Fox. However that did not start until 3. I did spot the sign towing plane from Woodward at about 12:30 pm and remember thinking that it was strange that they were overhead at such a quiet time.

Preparations for a Livonian counter attack?

Probably related to the war games:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ing/110543894/