Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Today Is Ash Wednesday And Some Sad News For Catholics And Others

Not only is today the first day of lent, and Detroit area Catholics [[and Catholics around the world) are giving up Valentine's Day*, but seriously, there is news that Pope Benedict's health is failing.

https://aleteia.org/2018/02/14/bened..._notifications

* It is sad to have a meatless soup Lenten meal instead of filet mignon. Does save money, though... I gave my meal money today to St. Vincent de Pauls in Detroit.

EDIT: There is a correction on Pope Benedict's condition.

https://aleteia.org/2018/02/14/bened..._notifications
    Last edited by emu steve; February-14-18 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I gave my meal money today to St. Vincent de Pauls in Detroit.

Nice gesture Steve, much appreciated. I'm going to have a piece of fish @ Sweetest Heart of Mary in your honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Nice gesture Steve, much appreciated. I'm going to have a piece of fish @ Sweetest Heart of Mary in your honor.
    Thanks. I got my SVDP solicitation in the mail today so I pulled out the credit card and got my Lent off to a good start.

I do believe that as Pope Francis and other have said, giving up candy, nice meal, etc and going around with a sour face is not what Lent is about.

It is kind of like: "I'll have a little less so other may have a little more."

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Just hope Catholics don't give up a quarter pound hamburger for lobster. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I do believe that as Pope Francis and other have said, giving up candy, nice meal, etc and going around with a sour face is not what Lent is about.
    Well put. "Lent" derives from Old English "lencten", which means "springtime" or "Spring". The church-sense is peculiar to English: https://www.etymonline.com/word/lent .