Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Simple building identification

Hi. I know this is simple, but it's bugging me. Where is this building? I've seen it a hundred times, but just can't picture it now.
    Name:  round apartments.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  13.1 KB

Without anything else to go on, my first impression would be the Holiday Inn Southfield.

But I just checked and that's not it. Oh well.

Cathedral Tower Apartments.

Google Images found this.

You can give it a link to a photo or upload the photo itself and there's a good chance it will find a match.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-11-18 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Hi. I know this is simple, but it's bugging me. Where is this building? I've seen it a hundred times, but just can't picture it now.
    Name:  round apartments.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  13.1 KB
    That's the Cathedral Tower Apartments on Hancock in Midtown. It's right off Woodward.

Tip: if you right click on any web image [[hold down on image if mobile) you can select "search Google for image." The first web hit would have given you the answer...

It’s a building in serious need of a demolition. There’s absolutely nothing appealing about it

I think it is low rent, subsidized. I doubt it would be rehabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    That's the Cathedral Tower Apartments on Hancock in Midtown. It's right off Woodward.

Tip: if you right click on any web image [[hold down on image if mobile) you can select "search Google for image." The first web hit would have given you the answer...
    Awesome! That's it alright. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I think it is low rent, subsidized. I doubt it would be rehabbed.
    It's slated for a $12M rehab:

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/8/7/...wer-renovation

Many years ago, my late grandmother lived there in a very small studio apartment. It may have been a low income seniors only building then, but I don’t remember exactly. I’d forgotten that she lived there until this thread showed up.
    Last edited by msamslex; February-11-18 at 11:09 PM.

This building was previously named Cathedral Terrace when my late grandmother lived there.

While looking this up, I see that the old Southfield Holiday Inn reopened last spring as a Best Western Premier [[Premier is their top tier of brands). The Coach Insignia apparently relocated to their hotel restaurant, The Nomad Grill.

Cool. Better that than another run down unit! I wonder what those floor plans look like ala that circular set up!

Not 100% sure, but my understanding is that this property was originally owned by the Cathedral Church of St Paul across Hancock. When it was sold by the parish in the late 60s, the vestry did so with the stipulation that that the developer would build affordable housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Cool. Better that than another run down unit! I wonder what those floor plans look like ala that circular set up!
    A Penthouse View [[not on Park Avenue) for the hoity-toity?

Short walk to the Q-Line\Woodward Ave buses, as well as being in the heart of midtown, it makes total sense to me. This is a very desirable area to rent.

This was built by the Cathedral of St. Paul as a seniors building with some of the early funding released by HUD for that purpose. It was a big project of Bishop Emrich, who saw a lot of poorly housed single elderly people in the nearby Cass Corridor and Paradise Valley areas. He saw it as the first of many such buildings, and although that didn't happen, the Episcopal diocese was involved in the planning of some other seniors buildings around the city.

Here is a post from the "wealth of architectural talent" thread on this building, which though now thought of as ugly by many, was actually thought quite advanced and forward-looking at the time:
    https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...talent!/page89

My family had a close friend who lived in this building. She was dedicated to the cathedral's social mission and worked there for years for almost no money, while eking out a living by teaching music at WSU and elsewhere part time. So, when she had to retire due to her failing sight and hearing, she also had to move out of the old walkup apartment on Second she'd lived in for 40 years or more, with very limited funds. This building was almost brand new then and provided a safe, affordable home for her in her neighborhood near her church, her friends, and the library, DIA, WSU, and the theaters and concerts she loved to go to.

I remember visiting her there as a kid and my sister and I really marveling at the view through her big window looking straight downtown. The only problem with her little south-facing studio was that it would become very warm in the summer and the little window unit ACs they had installed couldn't really keep up, and the old folks there were reluctant to use them because it jacked up their electric bills so much.

But it proved a very good place for her to live, and she was quite happy there for several years. So it is very nice to see that it is being rehabbed as affordable housing.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-13-18 at 02:07 PM.

I presume that the rehab of this building involved the use of some of the lo income tax credits that were provided by the Tax Reform Act of 1986. Can anyone confirm that? Am I correct in thinking that Low Income Housing Tax Credits such as the one presumably used for this structure were deleted from the new December 2017 tax bill?