Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cooley High School

I just recently watched a gentleman shoot a video of the ruins of Cooley High! I was shocked to say the least. I remember a year or so ago, about a couple that was trying to restore part of the old school witch I believe had something to do with making it a medical facility or nursing home or ?????! Does anyone remember that story. I believe the women was in the medical field in some capacity. There were ruins from fires started inside. It was really tragic to watch! I graduated from Cooley in Jan. 1961. To see that beautiful auditorium in ruins was sickening. I was involved in many musical presentations in the 4 yrs I was there. I guess it will be leveled if not already. Sad, Sad!!

Same went for Mackenzie. I attended both schools. Perhaps it was the curse of "me"? Very sad.

I also went to Mackenzie, Ray. It was very sad to see it abandoned and in ruins, so I know how you feel d.leon. My next door neighbor teaches at the new Barton-Mackenzie that was built to replace the closed Barton Elememtary. Every school I went to has been closed by DPS except for Charles Drew which is now a special education/transitional school. I went there for junior high.

I always thought of Cooley being the most beautifully architectural designed school in Detroit, during it's heyday. There was no other High School that even came close.

Does anybody have a photo of Owen Emmons who was Cooley's Principal for over 30 years? It's almost like he didn't exist trying to find a decent [[let alone any) photo of him.
    Thanks.

Daddeeo...go to Classmates.com. Sign up or sign in and in the upper right hand corner you can check various schools. Go to Cooley's site and check the various yearbooks. The 1956 and 57 have photos of Emmons.

Unfortunately. they won't be at the 300 dpi resolution that I need to publish.

Very little would be 300 PPI if found online. One can only hope for 72 resolution at a big inch/ width x height size file that you can at least use scaled small for print media.

Hit me on PM if you want to discuss this further.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Unfortunately. they won't be at the 300 dpi resolution that I need to publish.

Clicked on Discuss Detroit and was saddened to see the state of my high school from the late 50's. It was an architectural gem, but like so many of the same in D, it has been neglected and now awaits the wrecking ball. It is always hard to see what has become of what was a great childhood in a great city of the past. It was an era when there were great teachers at Cooley with great counselors and Owen Emmons, the great principal. I am certain those of us who were there in the 50's can name half of our teachers. How about Ralph Twitchell and Charles Aneda, Milton Aptekar and Joe Schindler for a few names. I am still indebted to them.
    Last edited by river rat; March-04-18 at 12:06 PM.