Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Levi, Dockers Still Coming Downtown?

I don't know if someone had mentioned on this site a few months ago that Levi Strauss was considering opening a store in downtown Detroit but had anyone heard of this?

The last I saw was a Levi's store in the CGI video from the Hudson's groundbreaking. It was on Woodward, along with an Aesop and a Tesla store. Nothing official, however.

https://youtu.be/6A6r1lZzvZ4?t=2m20s

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    It was on Woodward, along with an Aesop and a Tesla store.
    You will not likely see a Tesla store. Michigan law prohibits manufacturers selling automobiles directly to consumers. They must be sold through franchised dealers. Tesla refuses to grant franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    You will not likely see a Tesla store. Michigan law prohibits manufacturers selling automobiles directly to consumers. They must be sold through franchised dealers. Tesla refuses to grant franchises.
    . Thanks to an anti-business law passed by the GOP. They didn’t want the free market to decide. It’s better to stifle competition and innovation.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; February-10-18 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    . Thanks to an anti-business law passed by the GOP. They didn’t want the free market to decide. It’s better to stifle competition and innovation.

They honestly couldn’t have make a dumber decision if they had tried.

“Hey let’s tell that billionaire Elon Musk who runs the most valuable car company in America and the fastest growing aerospace company in the world as well as dozens of other high tech ventures to Fuck Off! We will make sure he knows damn well Michigan doesn’t want his companies, jobs and money invested here!”

It is about time that the Republicans is this state explain to us why we do not want any of those jobs in Michigan while the whole world watches in awe as his rockets land themselves back on the launch pad after putting payloads [[his car) in outer space.

The biggest political donor in every district outside the bigger cities is the local car dealer. They'd be committing political suicide [[politicide?) if they voted otherwise.

Michigan isn't alone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_...rship_disputes

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    It is about time that the Republicans is this state explain to us why we do not want any of those jobs in Michigan.
    Do you really want to stand behind this utterly ridiculous statement? Do you honestly believe that independently owned franchised dealers do not provide jobs in Michigan? There are literally tens of thousands of real live people employed at dealerships in Michigan and not a single one of those dealerships is manufacturer owned. In many smaller communities the local car dealer is the largest employer.

Further, when I buy a new car I can shop the same make and model at multiple dealerships who will compete for my business. I let them know up front that I am shopping for the best price and the dealers will usually try to offer a lower price than their competitors. With manufacturer owned dealerships I would not have that option as they would all be fixed price.

But why let facts get in the way of an opportunity to go off on an anti-Republican tirade.

Sure they provide jobs, but if I want to buy a car directly from the auto company, I should have that choice and not have to pay extra to get a sales pitch from a middleman. That's the free market, right? If dealers did provide such a valuable service, they'd have no problem taking on some competition, right?

None of the dealerships in Michigan are manufacturer owned because that would be illegal, thanks to our ridiculous, anti-free market laws.

Do you get a new pair of jeans, in your size, with a car purchase ?

The question was about Clothing - Downtown .........right ?

Can Tesla "showcase"? I believe so, and they can take orders. But they can't open a dealership.

I have a question for the group: I have 2 pair of Dockers 3 pants on sale at Ebay and they have been online now for about 1-2 years. Nobody is buying them at the price 16.99. So are Dockers "in" or "out"? Levis are always "in" regardless of how old and can sell used at fairly high prices. But I thought Dockers were staples. A lot of professional workers wear dockers, so I don't understand why these pants don't sell. Comments?

Don’t they have a showroom in Somerset?

Do you really want to stand behind this utterly ridiculous statement? Do you honestly believe that independently owned franchised dealers do not provide jobs in Michigan? There are literally tens of thousands of real live people employed at dealerships in Michigan and not a single one of those dealerships is manufacturer owned. In many smaller communities the local car dealer is the largest employer.

Further, when I buy a new car I can shop the same make and model at multiple dealerships who will compete for my business. I let them know up front that I am shopping for the best price and the dealers will usually try to offer a lower price than their competitors. With manufacturer owned dealerships I would not have that option as they would all be fixed price.

But why let facts get in the way of an opportunity to go off on an anti-Republican tirade.
    Absolutely, I will stand by it.

In my world both political parties can make mistakes. It is not a team sport where the team I stick for can never do wrong.

This law is protectionist anti business regulation. How is it not? If there is something to actually fear about Tesla’s business model costing jobs at dealerships, then we are screwed completely because 45 other states have welcomed Elon Musk’s car company with open arms.

Let the consumer decide how they want to buy a car. Protecting jobs on an island in Michigan will never work. It never has. You would think a diehard Republican like yourself would know that.

This is a new century with new technologies and new business practices and believe it or not new companies.

Freezing out new business models and ideas is moronic. This example illustrates it perfectly. To protect car salesman jobs and dealership owners we are telling the new car company not to open any engineering facilities in Michigan when that is our bread and butter. His aerospace company, battery technology companies and other businesses of the future forsaken to protect car dealership owners and salesmen.

Again, you couldn’t have made a dumber decision if you had tried. All they did was play picking “winners and losers” and this time they picked solidly against high tech. Very stupid.

If you need further proof of how badly Lansing picked this one look at the investor opinion of Musk’s Tesla business model and compare the market cap of TSLA vs. F or GM

That market has already spoken loud and clear.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-11-18 at 01:34 PM.

~~ what's DUMB is talking about cars on a PANTS thread ~~~

Absolutely, I will stand by it.

In my world both political parties can make mistakes. It is not a team sport where the team I stick for can never do wrong.

This law is protectionist anti business regulation. How is it not? If there is something to actually fear about Tesla’s business model costing jobs at dealerships, then we are screwed completely because 45 other states have welcomed Elon Musk’s car company with open arms.

Let the consumer decide how they want to buy a car. Protecting jobs on an island in Michigan will never work. It never has. You would think a diehard Republican like yourself would know that.

This is a new century with new technologies and new business practices and believe it or not new companies.

Freezing out new business models and ideas is moronic. This example illustrates it perfectly. To protect car salesman jobs and dealership owners we are telling the new car company not to open any engineering facilities in Michigan when that is our bread and butter. His aerospace company, battery technology companies and other businesses of the future forsaken to protect car dealership owners and salesmen.

Again, you couldn’t have made a dumber decision if you had tried. All they did was play picking “winners and losers” and this time they picked solidly against high tech. Very stupid.

If you need further proof of how badly Lansing picked this one look at the investor opinion of Musk’s Tesla business model and compare the market cap of TSLA vs. F or GM

That market has already spoken loud and clear.
    Doesn't Detroit has a history of freezing out mational businesses and retail that want to do business in the city. Detroit also give businesses a very hard time with crazy stipulations when the businesses are allowed to open in the city. I had said this many times that's is for me having conversations with some of these business owners who had told me. Tesla, Apple, Restoration Hardware would be games changers in Detroit's business/ retail community. I will also hope that Amazon could have a smaller office in downtown Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Doesn't Detroit has a history of freezing out mational businesses and retail that want to do business in the city. Detroit also give businesses a very hard time with crazy stipulations when the businesses are allowed to open in the city. I had said this many times that's is for me having conversations with some of these business owners who had told me. Tesla, Apple, Restoration Hardware would be games changers in Detroit's business/ retail community. I will also hope that Amazon could have a smaller office in downtown Detroit
    Yes. I agree.

Without a doubt in its history the City was not welcoming to new businesses and paid a high price that it still visible on the landscape as the old businesses became less relevant, failed or just left town altogether.

Mistakes of the past in this state just make it even more baffling that Lansing Republicans would tell a 52 Billion dollar automobile company that we do not want them doing business here in Michigan.

Yes. I agree.

Without a doubt in its history the City was not welcoming to new businesses and paid a high price that it still visible on the landscape as the old businesses became less relevant, failed or just left town altogether.

Mistakes of the past in this state just make it even more baffling that Lansing Republicans would tell a 52 Billion dollar automobile company that we do not want them doing business here in Michigan.
    Follow the money. Those in Lansing probably had their campaigns funded by those affiliated with the Big 3 or the Big 3 lobbied to shut others out of the game. I'm surprised Lexus was allowed to have it's name on the Velodrome. I still ask why there's not a good nationally known furniture store in downtown midtown Detroit where residents are paying over $1000 in rent for their Apt, Condos, and Lofts? Even Art Van, a local, is not downtown? Why isn't there a good grocery store in downtown Detroit with the exception of Whole Foods?

Follow the money. Those in Lansing probably had their campaigns funded by those affiliated with the Big 3 or the Big 3 lobbied to shut others out of the game. I'm surprised Lexus was allowed to have it's name on the Velodrome. I still ask why there's not a good nationally known furniture store in downtown midtown Detroit where residents are paying over $1000 in rent for their Apt, Condos, and Lofts? Even Art Van, a local, is not downtown? Why isn't there a good grocery store in downtown Detroit with the exception of Whole Foods?
    I posted on another thread the update from Nov. 2016 that Art Van was still planning to open downtown. Two months later they were sold to a private equity firm. I imagine that put a hold on those plans and that a detailed marketing study would be done [[as it should be) before revisiting those plans.

I still ask why there's not a good nationally known furniture store in downtown midtown Detroit where residents are paying over $1000 in rent for their Apt, Condos, and Lofts? Even Art Van, a local, is not downtown? Why isn't there a good grocery store in downtown Detroit with the exception of Whole Foods?
    How many high income households live downtown? A few thousand, at most. Why would this automatically generate local demand for upscale supermarkets and furniture stores, especially in an era of retail retrenchment?

There's no Whole Foods in the Northville/Novi area, yet a ton more wealth than downtown, which already has one. There's none in the Pointes. There was only a tiny, crappy WF serving Birmingham/Bloomfield/Troy until a few months ago.

There are few upscale furniture stores in Metro Detroit, and basically none outside of Birmingham/Somerset area. If you're selling 6k sofas would it make more sense to be downtown or around Bloomfield?

Can I get that vehicle or sofa in Denim ?
    Perhaps some rivets on it for that authentic Levi Strauss "feel" ?

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Can I get that vehicle or sofa in Denim ?
    Perhaps some rivets on it for that authentic Levi Strauss "feel" ?

https://www.heddels.com/2014/08/levi...ar-wore-pants/

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    How many high income households live downtown? A few thousand, at most. Why would this automatically generate local demand for upscale supermarkets and furniture stores, especially in an era of retail retrenchment?

There's no Whole Foods in the Northville/Novi area, yet a ton more wealth than downtown, which already has one. There's none in the Pointes. There was only a tiny, crappy WF serving Birmingham/Bloomfield/Troy until a few months ago.

There are few upscale furniture stores in Metro Detroit, and basically none outside of Birmingham/Somerset area. If you're selling 6k sofas would it make more sense to be downtown or around Bloomfield?
    I don't consider Kroger upscale. I don't consider Art Van upscale. However, if those stores were downtown/midtown they would draw shoppers not only from downtown but Lafayette Park, DuCharme, Boston Edison, Sherwood Forest/Palmer Woods, Woodbridge, etc. Why have high end apartments, condo's, and Lofts but don't have a decent grocery store, furniture store, or any other retail within walking distance or a couple of miles driving distance. I don't think that it's because there is not enough higher income people living downtown. It's mainly due to the way DEGC and other planners handle or mishandle their business affairs.

Guess Levi isn't coming.........................................

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Guess Levi isn't coming.........................................
    Levi? What about Tesla?

It was NEVER about tesla

Thread: Levi, Dockers Still Coming Downtown?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast