Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Millennials are flocking to Rust Belt Cities

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/br...onnect-sidebar

This is a Washington Post story about how many millennials
    are migrating to Pittsburgh. I hope someone will analyze
    the recently released American Community Survey data to
    see if young highly trained people are migrating to metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post

Detroit is listed #4 on the listed cited in the article: https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...de-a-comeback/

That list only references downtown areas, which can be misleading, especially in Detroit's case.

how cold are the winters in Pittsburgh?

It is saying Detroit adverage low is 19,Pittsburgh is 23,not much difference.

https://weatherspark.com/y/19773/Ave...tes-Year-Round

$270,000 for a starter home at age 29,but one has to take into account that was written by a realtor,most likely from Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh has several important advantages over Detroit:

- While there is still considerable urban blight, there are also many stable middle-class neighborhoods surrounding the central area. The urban fabric is still, for the most part, intact. Detroit, on the other hand, only has a few isolated pockets.

- A more robust transport system including a light-rail system. Meanwhile, Detroit has one of the worst transport systems in the country.

- More educational options including Carnegie Mellon, a highly respected university and the well-ranked University of Pittsburgh. In comparison, Detroit only has Wayne State, a middle of the road state university. The lack of higher education opportunities in Detroit is severely understated.

I think Pittsburgh was like Detroit in being a blue collar city where the adverage person could make a decent living and a higher education was not required.

Carnegie was for the rich kids that were sent there from across the north.

During the last campaign I watched a program on Pittsburgh,it was really about if they thought the president elect at that time would improve conditions and highlighting the closure of the auto plant.

They interviewed collage students,graduates and GM workers who were being laid off and being retrained in different skills and trades.

They all said the exact same thing,no opportunity,could not sell their house,could not find employment and did not see a future there and they were leaving after graduation and after finishing the skills trade program.

I remember thinking at the time Detroit did have a lot more movement towards the future then Pittsburgh,and unless a miracle has happened there in the past year the posted article is 100% opposite of what I watched.

I think the program is also on you tube.

That does not say that Detroit should not step up their game in the education program across the board.

When the auto plants cut back or shut down in Detroit did they also offer alternative training programs as highlighted in Pittsburgh?

They hit their rock bottom in 1983 to 1985.
    Last edited by Richard; February-09-18 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think Pittsburgh was like Detroit in being a blue collar city where the adverage person could make a decent living and a higher education was not required.

Carnegie was for the rich kids that were sent there from across the north.

During the last campaign I watched a program on Pittsburgh,it was really about if they thought the president elect at that time would improve conditions and highlighting the closure of the auto plant.

They interviewed collage students,graduates and GM workers who were being laid off and being retrained in different skills and trades.

They all said the exact same thing,no opportunity,could not sell their house,could not find employment and did not see a future there and they were leaving after graduation and after finishing the skills trade program.

I remember thinking at the time Detroit did have a lot more movement towards the future then Pittsburgh,and unless a miracle has happened there in the past year the posted article is 100% opposite of what I watched.

I think the program is also on you tube.

That does not say that Detroit should not step up their game in the education program across the board.

When the auto plants cut back or shut down in Detroit did they also offer alternative training programs as highlighted in Pittsburgh?

They hit their rock bottom in 1983 to 1985.
    I think everybody is really moving towards the tale of two cities model. Even in the rich cities like NYC there is a very stark divide between the white collar and blue collar residents.

Pittsburgh has been quite a bit ahead of Detroit in creating/attracting a local information econom. But by sheer size Detroit would suck the energy out of the room among the Rust Belt if it were to ever really compete for that part of the economy.

^ I agree,the city may be down but it is in no way out Detroit will become a powerhouse again,it scares some because as that happens it will also become a political powerhouse within the state,some do not want that to happen and try to stop it.

Look at my dumb butt ,57 years old,already comfortable in Florida and cannot stand the cold but yet not even thinking twice about the risk of cashing out and reinvesting up there.

I see low risk and opportunities because I have been in cities before,Minneapolis,Orlando when they were at the bottom and how many years it took to get them where they are today.

In comparison Detroit is moving lightspeed,it is probably hard to see on the ground but it is.But also for me and with being on this board,weather I agree with everybody or not I see residents with a deep love for there city no matter what which means there is hope,without that then it would be a waste of time,all of existing problems will be worked out and more will pop up but as a city you are facing them and dealing with them as they arise.

Like you I think Detroit should not be in a tale of cites or compared to or Judged against,the contributions it made to the rest of the country in the past is commendable and should not be forgotten.

I think in the future Detroit will be an example of how it should be done verses how Detroit will follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...snip...
    In comparison Detroit is moving lightspeed,it is probably hard to see on the ground but it is....
    A thought...Detroit's rise into Auto Capital was 'lightspeed'. I worry that the current 'lightspeed' transition may end up the same way, with an arrogant city that thinks its owed something. IMO, that's why we fell so hard. We were king, gosh darn it. Don't they know that?

Pittsburgh is much less prosperous/successful than Detroit. Poorer, nonstop population loss for like 70 years, and very little new construction.

Looking at city limits only is silliness; as in Detroit, like 10% of the region lives in the technical city proper. You can't bake a cake with 10% of the ingredients; you can't ascertain a region by ignoring 90% of the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    A thought...Detroit's rise into Auto Capital was 'lightspeed'. I worry that the current 'lightspeed' transition may end up the same way, with an arrogant city that thinks its owed something. IMO, that's why we fell so hard. We were king, gosh darn it. Don't they know that?
    Unfortunately Detroit does not have a lock on that mindset,I have seen it increased in the last 8 to 10 years massively,even more so with a large amount of collage graduates,somebody is telling them a degree guarantees them to that pot of gold.

I blow off probably 9 out of 10 customers for that reason.
    In the restruants we lose a good $300 a month with people buying a $6
    lunch on a debt card,then disputing the transaction,which is impossible to fight,then come back a day later to do the exact same thing over.

And look bewildered when you call them out on it.

I think Detroit needs a bit of diversity so the impact of the auto industry loseing steam is lessened.

Fischer body as heavy textile and a fashion district of sorts surrounding it,Kelvinator returning home with the residential appliances,the rail industry is desperate for improvements on the safety side and implementing new rail systems cost effective.

All of those cover a workforce from training,to hands on workers all the way up to technical engineers.

The suppliers,labor force,and materials are already in the state,just gotta combine them into the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Pittsburgh is much less prosperous/successful than Detroit. Poorer, nonstop population loss for like 70 years, and very little new construction.

Looking at city limits only is silliness; as in Detroit, like 10% of the region lives in the technical city proper. You can't bake a cake with 10% of the ingredients; you can't ascertain a region by ignoring 90% of the region.
    Good analogy,always have to look at the big picture.

Its funny,growing up in Minnesota all I knew about Florida was what the pictures showed,sunny beaches,palm trees,girls in bikinis, fun in the sun.

Because that is what they wanted me to see in order to entice.

Move here and outside of the beaches,you can take any city and drop it anywhere in the country and you would not know the difference,outside of the brutal sun in July and august and millions of bugs that you would never see up north,and critters with big jaws that like to wander about in public and snack on your little pets when you walk along the waterways.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post

I don't know what to make of this article. Two thoughts:

1). This type of social, demographic research is hard to accurately conduct. Could get seven researchers to study this issue and might have three with one conclusion, three with the opposite conclusion and one fence straddler.

2). The story was not produced by the Washington Post staff. It was produced as paid advertising piece and not by the Post or university researchers or think tank researchers.

Sometimes I think the line between independent research and sponsored advertising is getting pretty blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I don't know what to make of this article.

Sometimes I think the line between independent research and sponsored advertising is getting pretty blurry.
    Ain't that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

I agree with you, but discussing the City of Detroit vs Pittsburgh, there is no comparison. Pittsburgh is much better off. The problem in Detroit is the wealth and development are scattered around the metropolitan area, and mostly outside of the center.

Can you imagine how the CoD would look if the GM tech center, Lawrence Tech, Southfield and Troy office clusters were in the city? Or going back further, the University of Michigan or the Capital, which both used to be located in the city? Or if a transport system would have been built? Or if the G.I. bill would have included black veterans, or if there would have been anti-redlining policies? In other words, Detroit was a very successful city economically, but specific urban policies compromised this success and now it's a very undesirable place.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I don't know what to make of this article. Two thoughts:

1). This type of social, demographic research is hard to accurately conduct. Could get seven researchers to study this issue and might have three with one conclusion, three with the opposite conclusion and one fence straddler.

2). The story was not produced by the Washington Post staff. It was produced as paid advertising piece and not by the Post or university researchers or think tank researchers.

This is an example of what I was referring. Today's Washington Post has an article which CONTRADICTS the feel good story of Pittsburgh...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.83e62e75185a

"That’s because a second study released this past week from LinkedIn shows that the cities gaining the most workers over the last year were Denver, Seattle, Austin, Las Vegas and Charlotte, while places in the Northeast and Midwest, such as Pittsburgh, Hartford, Conn., and Providence, R.I., lost the most workers."