Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Alex Stachura Beating Death

Remember back in 92? I remember correctly, a fight at a Warren Lasalle dance ended with the loser of the fight and his friends jumping and stomping to death Alex Stachura. Details I remember the kid that Alex fought, Nicholas Delgreco. told his friends to "get him" after the fight ended. Nicholas and several others received jail and or prison sentances.

I know all about this. I think it actually happened in the fall of 1991 when I was in 5th grade. A close relative was good friends with several of the perps. Matt Trout and that Merrick [[sp) Sobotka, who I think was related to the Red Wing Zamboni driver. That Sobotka kid had a brand new red Dodge Stealth from what I remember. Ironically, Stachura is buried about four rows down from my grandparents at Resurrection.
    Last edited by Patrick; August-26-09 at 07:42 PM.

It was a very tragic case Patrick. If I remember the priest had carried Alex's limp body from the area of the fight....

What happened to the kids who beat him?

Good Christ, I'm not able to sleep well tonight, I log on and see this topic at 4:30 AM and it made my hair stand straight up.

It happened in September 1991. I'm DLS Class of 1993, just like Alex, and it was an utterly horrible time then. I wasn't at the dance [[at a Stevenson/Chippewa FB game); heard early the next morning. The upstream posts of the basic story [[initial fight, Alex "wins", then gets jumped), and the priest [[our school chaplain) carrying the body away toward medical attention are both correct.

I wasn't overly close with Alex, only an acquaintance, but he was a talented kid who would have been a great man someday. [[strangely, the 3rd classmate of mine who died in 3 years)

Last I heard, DelGreco [[who I was friends with up until we both graduated St. Anne Jr. High and drifted apart) has been released from jail [[a few years ago). He was eligible for a life sentence but did not receive that. He made some horrible decisions and he justly paid for it ..... I pray he's able to make peace with his God.

I'm pretty sure DelGreco, being the one who delivered the "final kick", was the only one involved who was [[1) tried as an adult, and [[2) served any sort of sentence beyond about a year.

RIP Alex.
    Last edited by MrNittany; August-27-09 at 04:01 AM.

I am class on 1992 and remember that as well. I don't think I went to that dance as I was sick but I can remember the exact spot in my house that I was standing when the story came on the news the next day.

I hadn't heard the part about him being carried off like that, but I do remember hearing that Fr. Mike later drove all the way up to the UP to break the news to his brother, who was away at college [[Michigan Tech?) and bring him home.

Still very sad to this day.

MrN, I think you're right about the sentencing. I think all the other guys came forward and said that Nic was the main person delivering the kicks, plus I think he was wearing steel tipped boots or something so it was evident that he had done the most damage.

croweblack Guest

I was at the dance that night and was supposed to go to the fight but ended up somewhere else.

if I remember correctly the nic guy got in the most trouble due to having a black belt in karate