Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 2018 Detroit Lions campaign.

With the Super bowl officially over it should not take long for the contract to be signed officially starting the Matt Patricia era with the Detroit Lions with him as our new head coach.

I expect it to be a done deal tomorrow and then we can get on with building a coaching staff.

From just reading up on the man I like what I see so far. He brings a unique skill set to the job. Highly educated, excellent work ethic and highly regarded people skills combined with his winning ways at the Patriots.

We hope to welcome you to Detroit very soon Matt. Expectations are high.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-05-18 at 12:25 AM.

Our new HC gives up 41 pts in the SB. Should this be a cause of concern?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    No. Eagles are a hell of a good team and they had a few calls go
    their way.

Matt will struggle at times for sure there is no such thing as a perfect team but I do believe he will bring new tools to the job. Look at what he did with Kyle Van Noy after we were ready to drop him at any bus station.

There is always chance it won’t work but you have to keep taking them, the chances to find greatness.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-05-18 at 09:45 AM.

Besides you gotta like the beard and pencil!
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; February-05-18 at 12:54 AM.

I always said coaching the Lions takes a rocket scientist...well, we literally have one now. Let's see what happens!

I don't think so. The Eagles are awesome and have great players and coaching on both sides of the ball. Also, the Patriots lost a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball this past offseason, and really only added one guy to make up for it [[Gilmore). They had average to below average talent, so the fact that Patricia was able to still keep them running well is a pretty solid testament to his coaching. They did get lit up yesterday, but I think that with the defensive players they have, there was only so much Patricia could be expected to do, especially in Game 19 of the season and against what turns out to be the best team in the league.

Yes, it should.....along with not firing OC Billy-Bob or Jimmy-Bob & some of the other mediocre staff chumps that apparently chained themselves to their desk.

I think it’s time for Matt Stafford to step up, carry this team on his back. Other teams are winning playoff games and Super Bowls with 2nd and 3rd string QB’s. Stafford can’t even win meaningful regular season games. He also happens to be, for now, the highest paid player in the history of the league. I think it’s cause for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I think it’s time for Matt Stafford to step up, carry this team on his back. Other teams are winning playoff games and Super Bowls with 2nd and 3rd string QB’s. Stafford can’t even win meaningful regular season games. He also happens to be, for now, the highest paid player in the history of the league. I think it’s cause for concern.
    Interesting. I see exactly the same thing but come to a opposite conclusion.

If the scheme is good, coaching is solid and the offense is balanced with a running attack that works then any serviceable NFL quarterback can be plugged in and succeed.

In other words, way to much emphasis has been placed on the QB in Detroit for a long time. Get the O-line and running game on track and we don’t need someone to put the whole offense on their shoulders and carry it. The chances of that happening are long odds in this league. Worse in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Interesting. I see exactly the same thing but come to a opposite conclusion.

If the scheme is good, coaching is solid and the offense is balanced with a running attack that works then any serviceable NFL quarterback can be plugged in and y
    In other words, way to much emphasis has been placed on the QB in Detroit for a long time. Get the O-line and running game on track and we don’t need someone to put the whole offense on their shoulders and carry it. The chances of that happening are long odds in this league. Worse in Detroit.
    I think there’s a lot of truth to what you wrote, yes they had no running game, yes their offensive line wasn’t up to snuff. Not sure why that was, they had a good coach, they supposedly have a good GM. It seems the running back situation should have been addressed in the draft or free agency. That being said, I expected a lot more from Matt Stafford.

I'm guessing the Lions don't sign free agent Malcolm Butler.

Too soon. We should all be celebrating the Eagles and Patriots duel. Keep the Superbowl super. Lions defeatism can start in March.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Too soon. We should all be celebrating the Eagles and Patriots duel. Keep the Superbowl super. Lions defeatism can start in March.
    It actually started in 1958, that was the year after they won the championship. Lots of fan support since then, very little in return.

It actually started in 1958, that was the year after they won the championship. Lots of fan support since then, very little in return.
    It's the 60th anniversary of no Superbowl!

It's the 60th anniversary of no Superbowl!
    An anniversary older than the Super Bowl itself.

I don't know about that. The hiring of a coach who was responsible for the weakest aspect of a very good team, and particularly the apparent retention of the deeply form-bound Jimmy Ray Bob Cletus [[or whatever his country-ass name is), to me means that the whining-about-the-Lions season is now open and active.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm guessing the Lions don't sign free agent Malcolm Butler.
    Bazaar story on this dude.....missed curfew, along the team flight to MN, then flew on NE's private jet to hear the play call; just "sit on the bench".....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Bazaar story on this dude.....missed curfew, along the team flight to MN, then flew on NE's private jet to hear the play call; just "sit on the bench".....
    I don't know what he did warranted him, not playing in the SB. That was on Belichick. Maybe he makes a difference, maybe he doesn't, but how do you leave one your best corners, who took 98% of the snaps and SB MVP standing on the sidelines? We don't know the whole story, so it's hard to judge. Unless he all of a sudden spun out of control, and violated many team rules, it wasn't justified. He won't be a Patriot next season for sure.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; February-07-18 at 11:34 AM.

I think there’s a lot of truth to what you wrote, yes they had no running game, yes their offensive line wasn’t up to snuff. Not sure why that was, they had a good coach, they supposedly have a good GM. It seems the running back situation should have been addressed in the draft or free agency. That being said, I expected a lot more from Matt Stafford.
    The running back situation hasn't been addressed, since one of the greatest ever retired.

The running back situation hasn't been addressed, since one of the greatest ever retired.
    They've come close a few times. Kevin Smith, Kevin Jones, James Stewart and Jahvid Best were all attempts that came close to working, and probably at least a couple of those guys would have 'fixed' the problem on most other teams, but worst-case-scenario always seems to play out for the Lions, and all of these players just couldn't stay healthy enough to be 'that guy'.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/12/...in-attendance/

I gave up my season tx after the 1979 season, having them for 10 yrs.
    I said back then, as long as they keep filling the dome[[field now) for the most part, nothing will happen.

And nothing has happened since I sat on my uncles lap while he was listening to the radio in Dec of '57 saying the SOB's scored again, OMG they scored again.

Now I have grandchildren too old to sit in my lap & my days are dwindling. I'd be happy just to see them get into a SB, let alone win before I join William Clay. Rather disgusting point of view, but true IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    They've come close a few times. Kevin Smith, Kevin Jones, James Stewart and Jahvid Best were all attempts that came close to working, and probably at least a couple of those guys would have 'fixed' the problem on most other teams, but worst-case-scenario always seems to play out for the Lions, and all of these players just couldn't stay healthy enough to be 'that guy'.
    For awhile there, I thought Kevin Jones would be that guy. He had one good season, rushed for over 1,000 yards, then he blew out a knee, got traded or released, never to be heard from again.

Too bad the Lions don't have an embarrassment of riches to trade up into say the top 4 of the draft: Barkley, RB, Penn State. Has all the tools to be a great one in the NFL.

If I were the Browns' GM I'd go Barkley #1 overall and a QB at #4 [[I'm not sure that I know which is the best, second best and third best QB prospect. NFL scouts completely disagree).

The other big question, of course, is the OL. It sounds better on paper than it performed last year.