Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit September 12

Am taking a pal up to Detroit from Ohio for a big bachelor party night downtown and hotels really seem to be at a premium that night? The Tigers are home against Toronto, but I don't think that would do it. The Lions open at New Orleans the next day, so that isn't it. Any ideas?

Dally in the Alley?

You the guy with the old-folks in the backseat driving around looking for BBQ? driving and texting the whole way... how'd that ever turn out?

We were looking for ham. We ended up having Thai in Ferndale and coffee in Royal Oak, a quick tour of WSU, and dinner at El Comal.

Default Detroit Sept 12

Lots of small events that weekend - A national venture capitol organization has sold out the Marriott and Book Cadillac for their national convention. There's the 5K river run with concerts, etc. Tigers are home. Phantom opens I believe? Universoul Circus is at Chene Park.
    Good to see all the hotels downtown sold out without one huge event, especially the weekend after Labor Day. I can tell you even the Omni is sold out so good luck finding anything. MGM and Motor City still have rooms but it's gonna cost you. We planned for our first stay at the Book Cadillac that weekend for our anniversary. I was able to get a Thurs & Fri booking instead of Fri/Sat. Oh well. One more day off of work!

I'm SO Happy to hear that Book Cadillac is SOLD OUT for a weekend! I'm also thrilled that the RenCen is filled up! These are my TWO favorite hotels in the downtown area! I worry so much about them holding on, that I'm glad to hear both of them have at least ONE good weekend!

LodgeDodger Guest

No "Dally" this year.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Interesting.

Sept 12 seems like a busy day, And you have the Old Car Fest at The Henry Ford plus Dial M for Murder at the Redford Theatre.Lots of stuff to do on that day.

LodgeDodger,
    Maybe you were thinking about the other Detroit street fair on Fourth Street. We didn't have that for the last 2 years. It doesn't have the full support of the community anymore for a variety of practical reasons. Someone held a "4th St Fair" this year and last year, but they were really sad, tiny little affairs that should have been given a different name, like "The Positively [[Not) 4th Fair" or 1/4 of 4th Street Fair". I could get behind that, because at least then people wouldn't be confused and disappointed. Without the community behind you, you really can't pull it off. The future of the fair is uncertain, but I think it may disappear for a few years or maybe forever. Fourth Street will probably just have a lot of parties from now on.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bumble View Post
    LodgeDodger,
    Maybe you were thinking about the other Detroit street fair on Fourth Street. We didn't have that for the last 2 years. It doesn't have the full support of the community anymore for a variety of practical reasons. Someone held a "4th St Fair" this year and last year, but they were really sad, tiny little affairs that should have been given a different name, like "The Positively [[Not) 4th Fair" or 1/4 of 4th Street Fair". I could get behind that, because at least then people wouldn't be confused and disappointed. Without the community behind you, you really can't pull it off. The future of the fair is uncertain, but I think it may disappear for a few years or maybe forever. Fourth Street will probably just have a lot of parties from now on.
    Thanks, Bumble. I'm glad the Dally is still on. We've placed it on our calendars... Perhaps a thread should be created by one of the "Dally" Folk? Oh, and I love the poster. I plan to pick up a few...

Perhaps, in a few years, the Fourth Street Fair will again gain in popularity.

That is the night of my wedding downtown, we ran into the same problem trying to find a room. Besides the events already listed, the ACN - International Training Convention will be at Cobo that weekend. Their website looks like they have something to do with telemarketing.

Good to see a lot of hotel reservations in the City.

Re: Dally
    We have always enjoyed it, even as it grew and became a bit more commercial. Always run into good people we haven't seen in too long. Missed last year, as my dad's funeral was that day. It will be good to return, sad to see the empty Forest Arms building.
    Where is the music schedule?