Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: 46 Time Loser?

Default 46 Time Loser?

Until she hits and kills someone who does have a license.

How did she get her license back those times is what I wonder? Apparently our system can not get this right to save its life. Yet we will lock up people who commit victimless crimes.

According to this Detroit News article, the SOS says she never had a valid license to begin with.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...45-suspensions

Wait a minute. When they get a violation from someone without a license, THEY ASSIGN A LICENSE #???? and then after so many points, THEY SUSPEND THIS LICENSE???

There is something strangely wrong about this administrative procedure.

My friends, if you were made aware of the number of drivers around you during the day that either have no license or are driving on a suspended/revoked license, you would park your car and never leave the house. I'd guess a good 1 out of 10 based on my DPD experience.

She didn't even have her kids in the car?

This story is not significant in any way, other than the means used to identify her and pull her over in the first place.

This police officer was scanning license plates while driving in traffic.

It is very likely she did NOTHING wrong to initiate the stop.

The civil libertarians in our crowd should be incensed.

Keep quiet, until that same lens is aimed at you. See how that works out...

"She was pulled over on a traffic stop and when we ran the plate, it came back to a stolen vehicle," Ferndale Police Lt. William Wilson said.
    Contradictory statement in the News article...by a higher-up who likely knows to tip-toe the line of legality.

Ferndale police arrested Beavers after a routine check indicated the 1999 Dodge Status she was driving was reported stolen. She had an open 24-ounce bottle of beer between her legs, Lt. William Wilson said.
    Ferndale Police said patrol officers ran a routine license-plate check on the 1999 Dodge Stratus Beavers was driving shortly after midnight Tuesday, finding it reported stolen from Adrian. Beavers admitted she had been drinking from the beer bottle, but showed no signs of intoxication, a police report said.

Alright, I may have jumped the gun, but this double-wording USUALLY means they are scanning license plates wantonly, without cause.

I believe since license plates are publicly viewable, this was ruled as legal behavior...although the scanner is a computer and NOT a police officer. Same ruling as outdoor security cameras?

Nah, they have to post warnings...

If it was your car that was stolen, I bet you'd want them to scan license plates.

He doesn't have a car

I thought Detroit immediately locked people up with no drivers license?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    This story is not significant in any way, other than the means used to identify her and pull her over in the first place.
    The story is significant because it highlights the need to keep people like this off the road. I have no desire to share the pavement with someone who thinks it's a good idea to stash an open beer between her legs while driving. Let alone, someone who [[after 45 hints) should have gotten the message that the bus wouldn't be a bad option.

Quote Originally Posted by AroundTown View Post
    The story is significant because it highlights the need to keep people like this off the road. I have no desire to share the pavement with someone who thinks it's a good idea to stash an open beer between her legs while driving. Let alone, someone who [[after 45 hints) should have gotten the message that the bus wouldn't be a bad option.
    And yet still people wonder why insurance rates are so high around here.

from the article....
    Detroit Police Chief Warren Evans said the practice of letting traffic scofflaws drive off with just a ticket, even when there are outstanding traffic warrants, is commonplace in Detroit — and said he plans to change that.

“For far too long, we’ve had an unwritten policy here that we’re not taking these people into custody,” Evans said.

“When we stop people in Detroit for minor violations, they will tell you — ‘I won’t do that north of 8 Mile or west of Telegraph.’ We tolerate that and it’s got to change,” he said.
    The discovery that a chronic traffic violator from Detroit had driven for a decade without a license didn’t surprise Ferndale Police.

“It’s just a little hole in the system,” Lt. William Wilson said. “If you look at the jurisdictions where she was pulled over all these other times, mainly in Detroit and Highland Park — they’re not typically going to be arresting and jailing people like this” because of limited resources and jail space.

“And so, there’s the ability to keep skating along like she did,” he said.
    Last edited by bailey; August-27-09 at 03:32 PM.

Comments on this case:
    "...But Ron Scott, spokesman for the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality, said he was furious that anyone would claim there’s a double standard between city and suburb.

“The impression is that people in the city get away with stuff and the ones in the suburbs don’t. That’s an absolute lie,” Scott said.

Still, he conceded: “Many people in Detroit drive without insurance because they can’t afford it with the high rates here.”

Scott said police in Detroit and other low-income areas should use “additional discretion” when pulling over traffic suspects “if the circumstances require it, because we’re dealing with a lack of economic resources for so many people...”

Huh?
    Furious at the double standard, but requesting "additional discretion" in Detroit?

Will someone please explain, without flaming and political posturing?

Having not read the article...
    "DWB" can also stand for "driving while broke."
    If you can't afford the outrageous insurance rates in the city, you can't get a license. If you can't get a license, you're not supposed to be driving. Meanwhile, the city's attempting to drastically cut back on bus service. It's a no-win for some people. You gotta get around somehow. I don't blame them for taking chances.

btw, a Detroit cop once mentioned privately that probably 90% of the people he pulls over don't have insurance. Something's really, really wrong with the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Having not read the article...
    "DWB" can also stand for "driving while broke."
    If you can't afford the outrageous insurance rates in the city, you can't get a license. If you can't get a license, you're not supposed to be driving. Meanwhile, the city's attempting to drastically cut back on bus service. It's a no-win for some people. You gotta get around somehow. I don't blame them for taking chances.
    Most idiots who drive without insurance make a down payment on a policy, show the binder to the Sec of State's office, get their tag and then let the policy lapse without making the first installment payment or they alter the policy dates on their insurance card. There are tons of ways to renew or purchase a tag by working the system.
    Michigan will give anyone a driver's license. My 80 year old Mother with onset dementia can't pass a driving test for a Florida license but can renew her Michigan driver's license by mail. Give me a break.

Also once you get a DUI and the Driver Responsibility Law kicks in , because of the money involved some people will take their chances rather than kick out the dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by jbd441 View Post
    Most idiots who drive without insurance make a down payment on a policy, show the binder to the Sec of State's office, get their tag and then let the policy lapse without making the first installment payment or they alter the policy dates on their insurance card. There are tons of ways to renew or purchase a tag by working the system.
    Michigan will give anyone a driver's license. My 80 year old Mother with onset dementia can't pass a driving test for a Florida license but can renew her Michigan driver's license by mail. Give me a break.
    After the first time someone lets their coverage lapse, the insurance company requires payment in full to reinstate, and will jack up the rates on the basis that you're unsafe since you've been driving without insurance. At least that's the way I've seen it happen to people I know - people with good driving records, whose only offense was not paying their insurance bill.
    If you know of "tons of ways" to work the system, please share.