Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default DPD Officer Murdered

I've been waiting to see if anything would be posted regarding the senseless murder of Officer Glenn Goss, Jr., a 2 year veteran of the Detroit Police Department. Sadly, nothing has been posted on this "DetroitYES" forum that I can find.
    It's a shame when people become so de-sentitized to such a terrible act of viciousness in Detroit that even a website, dedicated to Detroit, is untouched by at least a note of condolence or sympathy.
    Rest in Peace Officer Goss. Thank you for your service and thank you for your dedication to the citizens of Detroit. God bless your family and your brothers and sisters in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    I've been waiting to see if anything would be posted regarding the senseless murder of Officer Glenn Goss, Jr., a 2 year veteran of the Detroit Police Department. Sadly, nothing has been posted on this "DetroitYES" forum that I can find.
    It's a shame when people become so de-sentitized to such a terrible act of viciousness in Detroit that even a website, dedicated to Detroit, is untouched by at least a note of condolence or sympathy.
    Rest in Peace Officer Goss. Thank you for your service and thank you for your dedication to the citizens of Detroit. God bless your family and your brothers and sisters in blue.
    I was going to post a similar comment this evening but you beat me to it.

In Officer Goss you had a young man who was doing everything right in life. He was a hard working young man and a new father father who dedicated his career to trying to help a populace, many of whom didn't give a damn about him or his colleagues in blue, in an extremely dangerous city.

Officer Goss followed in his father's footsteps in risking his life day in and day out attempting to make his city better only to be tragically murdered in cold blood by a vicious savage criminal.

Rest in peace Officer Goss. That city needs many more like you.

Not everyone watches the 6 o' clock news. Our hearts do go out to the victims family, after a 4 day struggle.

But as for your sermon to DYES community.... You know what.... mm mm.... we got our sermon yesterday... don't need another one today....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So instead of the browbeating, maybe tell us the circumstances? Or at least a snippet of a news article?

Regarding the shooting of officer Doss - here's some info on the case
    Turns out the shooter is mentally disturbed and is in custody. This speaks to why domestic calls can be so dangerous for LEOs. So tragic for the officer who leaves behind a wife and infant child [[his father - also a police officer) - touching statements are in the vids below:

Slain officer was 'everything that is good about Detroit'

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ies/109890326/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/1073628001/

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2018/01/...-on-the-force/
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-29-18 at 11:55 PM.

Duggan noted the dangers facing police in Detroit, saying “there’s never been a time it’s been more dangerous to be a Detroit police officer” than in the last year and a half.

Why?

This is happening all across the country almost on a daily occurrence,this war on Leo needs to stop,there is a whole lot more good then bad in the forces.

Condolences and prayers to the family and LEO community.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    So instead of the browbeating, maybe tell us the circumstances? Or at least a snippet of a news article?
    There are three major Detroit stations that have a news broadcast every day; morning, noon and night and late night. There is a major newspaper that is published every day. There are numerous radio stations to listen to. Unbelievable, if you're from Detroit or a surrounding suburb that you didn't see or hear anything regarding this murder. Even now, knowing that a Detroit Police Officer was shot down, I still don't see any words of condolence or sympathy for him from you OR Gistok...just sarcasm for the messenger for not putting up a link, very typical, indeed.Name:  doss.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  77.0 KB
    Last edited by cla1945; January-29-18 at 11:36 PM.

A real tragedy and senseless loss.

My condolences to family.

There are three major Detroit stations that have a news broadcast every day; morning, noon and night and late night. There is a major newspaper that is published every day. There are numerous radio stations to listen to. Unbelievable, if you're from Detroit or a surrounding suburb that you didn't see or hear anything regarding this murder.

Several hundred miles away and never watch any news any more. This site is my sole link to the past there.

If this was an LODD, it was not a 'senseless murder', it was part of the job. Your title implied something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    This is happening all across the country almost on a daily occurrence,this war on Leo needs to stop,there is a whole lot more good then bad in the forces.
    Five so far this year is not 'almost daily':

https://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2018

There is no war on POs. It's part of the job. Don't like it? Take it to Congress to do something meaningful about reducing the number and types of guns out there.

Incomplete lists compiled by media and the public show at least 12 citizens killed by police this year.

What about their families?

^^^ Per the site supplied it was 129 last year [[2017) and where those involved LEOs targeting I'm concerned along with the other causes. Not to mention the cases where officers were able to escape being in such situations. Their numbers are not counted as they survived.

Like most things this is not either/ or, either. Where people have been murdered by corruption actions of LEO's that needs to be dealt with, fully. I have felt sorrow and concern for those instances as they have occurred. We get that there are bad LEO's out there.

But most want to go home at the end of their job shifts just like the rest of us. And yes, again not either/ or, the types of guns and who has access to them needs to be addressed.

Hats off to the honest, hard working law officers who with integrity and great bravery serve our community. It's a complex issue with many facets, including people loosing their lives including those harmed and killed by criminals. Regarding the this particular facet: Condolences to the Goss family.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-30-18 at 10:29 AM.

Incomplete lists compiled by media and the public show at least 12 citizens killed by police this year.

What about their families?
    If the 12 "citizens" were killed by police while committing a crime that endangered the life of a law enforcement officer or a law abiding citizen then the criminal deserves no sympathy.

It is part of the criminal's "job" and he or she knew the risks when he or she decided to commit the crime.

My Neighborhood association, our security company and the one next to us are contributing to the Officer's family fund.

I understand your sentiment and think we're losing basic standards in the nation but please don't target this forum as not responding properly. You were the part of this forum who responded so DetroitYes! has done fine.

There has been a general lack of media coverage as the News and Freep [[in particular) have become gossip, sports driven drivel online where headlines change by the minute. We need to return to big stories dominating the day. Like this fallen protector of Detroit citizens.

What a sad loss of young officer Goss. Condolences to his family. From what I read, his was the result of a stray bullet, but that doesn't really matter because the result is the same.

The numbers are pretty appalling. For 2016, the latest complete FBI numbers, 66 officers were killed by felonious acts, another 52 via accidents.

In turn 963 citizens were shot and killed by police.

Chief Craig: Lack of mental health care leads to more violence against the police

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...against-police

"What is it going to take, another mass shooting?" asks Detroit Police Chief James Craig. "Another dead police officer? What is it going to take?"

Craig and his department are still mourning the loss of Officer Glenn Doss, but he's seizing the moment to have a frank conversation about what lies at the root of the problem - mental health care and the lack of it.

The family of 43-year-old Decharlos Brooks says he was off his medication at the time of Doss's shooting, and that Brooks has mental health issues.
    The guy that killed Officer Colin Rose was also severely mentally ill, so much so that the judge in his case ruled him mentally unfit to stand trial.

So are we allowed to talk about this issue? About the lack of funding for mental health care for the poor at the state and federal level? How those who run our state and our country don't see this as a priority? Or is this just a thread for offering up "thoughts and prayers" until the next cop is killed in a preventable tragedy?

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Chief Craig: Lack of mental health care leads to more violence against the police...The guy that killed Officer Colin Rose was also severely mentally ill, so much so that the judge in his case ruled him mentally unfit to stand trial.

So are we allowed to talk about this issue? About the lack of funding for mental health care for the poor at the state and federal level? How those who run our state and our country don't see this as a priority? Or is this just a thread for offering up "thoughts and prayers" until the next cop is killed in a preventable tragedy?
    I think you can talk about it. Bitching about funding seems partisan rather than constructive though.

How much money is needed? What's the right level? Is there a model that works?

Usually, this argument is just a 'evil republicans' point. Engler cut funding. Bring on a positive argument, and I'm all ears. The case for more funding does not seem to be being made.

In this particular case, how would funding have got this guy back on his meds?

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Chief Craig: Lack of mental health care leads to more violence against the police

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...against-police

The guy that killed Officer Colin Rose was also severely mentally ill, so much so that the judge in his case ruled him mentally unfit to stand trial.

Ditto. Mental health is no longer a service provided by the state. The shelters, the prisons, the libraries all handle it now.

The gofundme account is receiving much love

https://www.gofundme.com/fight-for-glenn-doss

Name:  Screenshot_20180130-104732.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  133.2 KB
    Last edited by clubboss; January-30-18 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added URL

Thoughts and prayers to the LEOs family. This is truly awful, and such a sad story.

That being said, these types of stories always lead to the LEO/BLM debates. And I think the biggest thing that gets overlooked in those situations is that either 1) no one knows what to believe anymore, or 2) they only know what they are told, which is not always accurate.

While not in this particular tragic case [[that I am aware of), The Detroit News and Free Press have gotten really bad in much of their reporting. They have no budget, and so they just run stories to maximize clicks and ad revenue, regardless if the story represents what actually occurred. The line between opinion and hard news is blurred, and peope just don’t know what to believe.

In my own experience, there have been a few times I have had firsthand inside information on several different events that have been reported by both newspapers over the past few years. And in every one of those situations, the story provided by the Freep/News was deceptively written.

And since I am not authorized to comment on the stories I have first hand experience, I will use the newspapers writing style to write a fake example to show what they do.

FAKE STORY: Did the Lions throw the Thanksgiving game?

The Lions playoff hopes were in peril, and they needed to beat the Vikings to make the playoffs. However, given several opportunities to stop the Vikings from scoring, the Lions defense inexplicably allowed several scoring drives. Many fans were obviously questioning the motives. John Doe, an expert in Throwing NFL games, quoted several obvious examples that matched what the Lions did.

When asked after the game, Coach Caldwell fiercely disputed the claim, but when pressed, Caldwell refused to provide any evidence that the Lions defense was not involved in a point shaving. A random Lion fan, when asked about the cover up just shrugged, and said “The Lions always find new ways to break your heart, maybe this time it was a coverup”. END FAKE STORY

The point is, writing a story about the Lions throwing games would get a lot more clicks than a story that says the defense wasnt good enough. The latter is really the truth, but the Freep and Detroit News often opt for the former because more people will read it. And what is scary is that in my fake story, there is nothing stated that was factually untrue. However the implied narrative itself is false.

Bringing it back to Police killings, a journalist could throw together a few facts, quotes from random people with some connection, a few “ “expert” testimonials, and then spin most stories however they feel. A BLM journalist and LEO journalist could report the same story with facts, and both paint a completely different picture.

Again, I can’t believe the news I read anymore, so I don’t know what to believe.
    Last edited by Atticus; January-30-18 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I think you can talk about it. Bitching about funding seems partisan rather than constructive though.
    How are we supposed to talk about mental health services for the poor WITHOUT talking about funding? It seems rather partisan to say that talking about funding is off the table...

If you want a solution that doesn't involve money, I don't have one for you, because that doesn't exist. As for how it could have helped in this case, if this man was receiving in-patient treatment instead of outpatient care, things may have been different. Evan as an outpatient, how about if he had a dedicated case worker to monitor his treatment regimen? What if there was a mental health clinic in his neighborhood? As it stands right now, the standard of care is that these people get a prescription and are turfed to the streets, that's it. No one follows up with them, there is no oversight of their care, no coordination with other social services [[both public and non-profit) to help stabilize their living conditions. Nothing. It's just "here's your meds, hope you keep taking them, bye!"

And then bad things happen.

But hey don't take it up with me, why don't you call up Chief Craig's office and tell him that it's "partisan" to talk about money for mental health care? I'm sure he'd have some words for you.

Libraries! I caught that.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Ditto. Mental health is no longer a service provided by the state. The shelters, the prisons, the libraries all handle it now.

Five so far this year is not 'almost daily':

https://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2018

There is no war on POs. It's part of the job. Don't like it? Take it to Congress to do something meaningful about reducing the number and types of guns out there.
    Five too many if you ask me.
    I didn't start this thread to have big discussions and disagreements for or against gun ownership, the mental status of people, lack of funding, etc. I was surprised that no one had started one and the murder happened on January 24!
    Visitation
    O.H. Pye, III Funeral Home 17600 Plymouth Road Detroit, MI 48227
    Thursday, Feb. 1
    5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
    Services at:
    Greater Grace Church
    23500 W. Seven Mile Road
    Detroit, Michigan 48219
    Family Hour:
    Friday, Feb. 2
    10 a.m.
    Service:
    Friday, Feb. 2
    11 a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    If the 12 "citizens" were killed by police while committing a crime ...

I didn't ask about them. I asked about their families. Where is the support for the families affected?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Was the suspect here R, D, I or other? Does it matter which if any receive care and treatment?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast