Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Respectively, companies don't announce until everything from zoning approvals, financing, constructions schedules are firm.

Typically what happens is that plans are leaked and then folks wait 6 month or a year for things to become finalized.

Same with the Hudson's building right? Didn't they release a series of conceptual drawings, etc. what a year or two before construction began?
    Steve, the fact they had no comment is VERY telling. There are no renderings in this piece. Comparing the Hudson's and this are two completely different things.

Hudson's was announced by Gilbert with renderings and a timeline. This is an article stating that Ilitch has plans to build but won't comment, there's no renderings. It's so obvious by the lack of inaction is the action. Ilitch has no plans to do this and only is using this as a smoke screen to demolish more buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    It's a shame what Detroit's dailies three-days-a-weeklies have become.
    Yeah, it is shameful. Rather than improving quality to compete, the Free Press turned into a generic USA Today branded site. It looks cheesy cheap crap. Even the printed version has that terrible branding and mostly filled with syndicated articles, not original content.

You guys hate good news. You guys are crazy.

I'm posting a story from Crains which is the best business source for these kind of things for Detroit and S.E. Michigan.
    I'm just as excited as you are Steve though like the rest of these posters are saying, won't believe it until shovels are in the ground and crains in the sky. I'm not a fan of demoing historical structures, that's for sure. Detroit has lost too many good buildings that could've been saved. Only way Olympia can make up for it is actually following through on ANY of their development promises. Not holding my breath but maybe just maybe miracles do happen lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    Interesting timing with all of the current backlash against their proposed demos.
    Sounds like a head fake to me too.

The sceptic in me thinks Hockeytown is slated for demolition to:

1. direct fan traffic to LCA
    2. provide more surface parking

Of course I don't believe this but item 1. will benefit if the proposed high-rise on this site is conveniently delayed after the wrecking has commenced.

You guys hate good news. You guys are crazy.

And you guys is in Washington D.C. Must be one boring-ass town to back seat drive a forum in another city.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    The sceptic in me thinks Hockeytown is slated for demolition to:

1. direct fan traffic to LCA
    2. provide more surface parking

Of course I don't believe this but item 1. will benefit if the proposed high-rise on this site is conveniently delayed after the wrecking has commenced.
    This was already announced. It was mentioned that memoribilia would be relocated to a new venue nearby.

“In turn, plans are to move the Hockeytown Café at the northwest corner of Woodward and Montcalm north in a space near or inside the new $627.5-million arena. The Hockeytown Café, which includes City Theatre, would either be demolished or incorporated into a larger development along Woodward, between Montcalm and the I-75 service drive.“

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/Annual-2016/Detroit-Update-On-the-Pistons-Moving-to-Little-Caesars-Arena-and-New-Soccer-Stadium/
    Last edited by hybridy; February-04-18 at 06:10 PM.

I don't think Hockeytown Cafe is closing anytime soon though. Delaware North, the same company that runs the food program in the arena has taken over Hockeytown Cafe. Word is there is a new food and beverage program on the horizon. I sure hope that is correct. The quality has been terrible for several years now. 2 issues...when you have inconsistent hours you tend to get poor quality staff because of lack of hours, and my other issue is with the glassware. Save the plastic for the arena. In a brick and mortar restaurant there is no reason to serve drinks in plastic.

I ate there once many years ago and thought it was garbage and overpriced. Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I have no issue with Hockeytown Cafe meeting the bulldozer and moving into LCA. I've always detested that use of space. If the plan is to replace that with a new building that fills is in the street wall, by all means have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I ate there once many years ago and thought it was garbage and overpriced. Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I have no issue with Hockeytown Cafe meeting the bulldozer and moving into LCA. I've always detested that use of space. If the plan is to replace that with a new building that fills is in the street wall, by all means have at it.
    I've never had a good meal there either. I'm also on board with the demolition of the building. It was built in 1910, but obviously heavily altered.

Here's a photo of the building before Hockeytown Cafe.

Name:  Hockeytown.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  58.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Expectations, thankfully, have risen quite a bit in this town in the last several years. The reason to go to HTC, and Cheli's for that matter, is that they were the only game in town. Both have, in my experience, always had crap food, mediocre ambiance, and random hours. My last two experiences at both places, during Tigers games no less, were they were dead. In both instances at Cheli's, the upstairs and roof, the only redeeming quality of the place, were closed in good weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    It was built in 1910, but obviously heavily altered.

Here's a photo of the building before Hockeytown Cafe.

Name:  Hockeytown.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  58.2 KB
    Well you taught me something new today. I had no idea that building existed prior to Hockeytown Cafe. Mind you, I was 12 when it opened, so my memory is a bit hazy on that aspect.

The Hockeytown Cafe of today was a gutting of the Streamlined Moderne designed building that was Hughes Hatcher. Whether that building was a rehab of the original building or a total rebuild, I don't know... although it does appear to be much larger than the first store.

But here is the way it looked before it was gutted for Hockeytown. This is the building I remember from 30+ years ago [[you can just make out the NE corner of the Fox Building on the far left)....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; February-06-18 at 02:16 AM.

Steve, the fact they had no comment is VERY telling. There are no renderings in this piece. Comparing the Hudson's and this are two completely different things.

Hudson's was announced by Gilbert with renderings and a timeline. This is an article stating that Ilitch has plans to build but won't comment, there's no renderings. It's so obvious by the lack of inaction is the action. Ilitch has no plans to do this and only is using this as a smoke screen to demolish more buildings.
    The fact that they have no have no comment is not very telling at all. The Ilitch's have always been secretive and that's part of the reason why people get so frustrated with them, because they rarely say anything publicly. They clearly enjoy their private company status, both communication wise and taking their sweet ass time.

This is in direct contrast to Gilbert, who often has announcements about coming announcements. I'm not saying which style is better, but that's just the way it is. The Hudson's project was announced EVENTUALLY, several times with different renderings. He has had the development rights to that property for the last ten years. We may see actual shovels in the ground yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    The fact that they have no have no comment is not very telling at all. The Ilitch's have always been secretive and that's part of the reason why people get so frustrated with them, because they rarely say anything publicly. They clearly enjoy their private company status, both communication wise and taking their sweet ass time.

This is in direct contrast to Gilbert, who often has announcements about coming announcements. I'm not saying which style is better, but that's just the way it is. The Hudson's project was announced EVENTUALLY, several times with different renderings. He has had the development rights to that property for the last ten years. We may see actual shovels in the ground yet.
    The figurative shovels already hit the ground. Groundbreaking was 12/14/17, along with release of a detailed construction schedule.

You're right there are no renderings. The Ilitch group released renderings for LCA, LC headquarters, and with WSU the school of business building.

Don't think we are six months to shovels in ground. I see this as a 2019 project.

Rumors always get well ahead of the facts on the ground [[or shovels in the ground in this case).

I don't want to toss cold water on this project or any projects in Detroit or elsewhere, but if there is bad, bad carnage on Wall Street [[say 20% correction or a recession) 'all bets are off' as they say.

All of the spending we've seen in Detroit and elsewhere was fueled by very low cost of borrowing.
    Last edited by emu steve; February-06-18 at 02:18 AM.

To me this is an example of Olympia not wanting to become a landlord? They did not develop the Hotel, as they are waiting on someone to commit and build it. Do they really want to own residential buildings in their holdings?

Cordish was brought on 2 years ago to the District Detroit project. Does Cordish have a developer ready to finance these projects?

Is there a reference to any tax credits for these developments? or are these privately funded?

I don't want to toss cold water on this project or any projects in Detroit or elsewhere, but if there is bad, bad carnage on Wall Street [[say 20% correction or a recession) 'all bets are off' as they say.

All of the spending we've seen in Detroit and elsewhere was fueled by very low cost of borrowing.
    Already giving yourself an out if they don't build anything I see.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Already giving yourself an out if they don't build anything I see.
    Lol, leave him alone 😆
    I have to agree with Steve it’s probably a vision/future project maybe 2019 timetable for shovels in the ground, which means we might see renderings sometime this year

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article..._medium=social

Looks like we have a rendering of sorts, along with some more news of the area. You can see what looks to be a tower on Hockeytown and across Woodward

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post

Looks like we have a rendering of sorts, along with some more news of the area. You can see what looks to be a tower on Hockeytown and across Woodward
    Sweet. Always hoped they'd take it all the way to Brush as an open greenspace.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post

60' wider = two 30' deep retail 'rails' on woodward. 25'x60' are typ. white box retail dimensions. hope the backsides are treated as a façade rather than a 'revenue' opportunity overlooking 75 aka billboards, or worse yet a blank façade sim to high street in Columbus

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9737...7i13312!8i6656

Some good investigative reporting by Crain's, following the trail through real estate circles and then MDOT. I retract my previous criticism of them.

Unlike the Freep. They probably would have just interviewed Jerry Belanger and called it a day.

That building was the Hughes Hatcher store prior to the current building which was a complete rebuild in a two-story limestone facade building that was remodelled into the current Hockeytown Cafe as it appears today.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    Some good investigative reporting by Crain's, following the trail through real estate circles and then MDOT. I retract my previous criticism of them.

Unlike the Freep. They probably would have just interviewed Jerry Belanger and called it a day.
    Indeed Crain's is my go to source for development information for Detroit.

Breaking a story using FIOA is good.

I follow them through Twitter where they get their stories out quickly.
    Last edited by emu steve; February-07-18 at 08:58 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast