Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hackel spoke next. After complaining about the region's roads, he suggested that technology would be the mass transit elixir — autonomous vehicles shuffling people to all points across the three counties. Hackel said, "we need to figure out whether we want to lag behind other regions" by focusing on "buses and rails."
    This guys gets it and it will be so much in the spirit of Detroit to lead the world in this new tech. Imagine a city where all of it's public transportation needs are met by a network of self driving mobility pods and buses scooting people around. It's time for Detroit to reclaim its standing as a world leader in innovation and solutions. Move the World

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    This guys gets it and it will be so much in the spirit of Detroit to lead the world in this new tech. Imagine a city where all of it's public transportation needs are met by a network of self driving mobility pods and buses scooting people around. It's time for Detroit to reclaim its standing as a world leader in innovation and solutions. Move the World
    Wrong. This guy doesn't get it. The solution isn't more cars, drivers or driverless, it's more diversity whether it be streetcar expansion, real rapid bus transit, commuter rail, along with cars, biking, and walking.

"Self driving mobility pods" is the next flying car. We have the solution NOW not 15-20 years from now if it ever actually comes to pass.

Who's to say self driving mobility pods will be PUBLIC transportation and not a hodgepodge of private pods akin to taxis?

The ~~ Big Four ~~ meeting at Mackinac Island focused on mass transit
    - when the pressing needs for most residents is pothole repair.

Simply put, pot hole repair at the Big Four was NOT addressed.

Warren, one of Michigan's larger cities, has directed its DPW to use whatever overtime is needed to patch potholes, including working on Saturdays. Warren has six crews working with at least 20 employees round the clock.

Last edited by O3H; January-28-18 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Wrong. This guy doesn't get it. The solution isn't more cars, drivers or driverless, it's more diversity whether it be streetcar expansion, real rapid bus transit, commuter rail, along with cars, biking, and walking.

"Self driving mobility pods" is the next flying car. We have the solution NOW not 15-20 years from now if it ever actually comes to pass.
    It's less than 5 years away. I'd also venture to say that a self driving car with all the privacy of a personal vehicle is the preferred method of travel unless it's a party bus atmosphere you're looking for. Furthermore, it's inherent to the technology that there will likely be less cars on the road, less parking structures and less congestion. And to answer your other question, it bloody well better be private companies competing for the transportation of the public for any chance of success.

It's less than 5 years away. I'd also venture to say that a self driving car with all the privacy of a personal vehicle is the preferred method of travel unless it's a party bus atmosphere you're looking for. Furthermore, it's inherent to the technology that there will likely be less cars on the road, less parking structures and less congestion. And to answer your other question, it bloody well better be private companies competing for the transportation of the public for any chance of success.
    You’re living in a fantasy. Even if we get autonomous vehicles in “less than 5 years” [[which we won’t), they won’t serve the people who actually will benefit the most from public transportation ie. the poor. And they still don’t solve the problem of parking, potholes, and an urban sprawl. Detroit’s biggest problem is public transportation and until we fix it with a real solution, this comeback is going nowhere

Then I look forward to the cities of the world to flip their metros and transit systems to self driving mobility pods. Oh wait... probably not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    You’re living in a fantasy. Even if we get autonomous vehicles in “less than 5 years” [[which we won’t), they won’t serve the people who actually will benefit the most from public transportation ie. the poor. And they still don’t solve the problem of parking, potholes, and an urban sprawl. Detroit’s biggest problem is public transportation and until we fix it with a real solution, this comeback is going nowhere
    Actually, I live in the R&D world and it's my job to make your fantasies reality. Stay tuned

Then I look forward to the cities of the world to flip their metros and transit systems to self driving mobility pods. Oh wait... probably not gonna happen.
    same goes for you

Bicycle = self driving mobility pods
    [[YES, they function in the rain)
    https://vimeo.com/76073304

http://www.reliance-foundry.com/site...ng-6-large.jpg

Last edited by O3H; January-28-18 at 05:51 PM.

advocates for better public transit will face continued hostility and indifference from Patterson and Hackel. People in the general public in Oakland and Macomb need to be engaged with more small town hall meetings, neighborhood meetings, etc. houses of worship, schools, community centers and other gathering places need to be engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    advocates for better public transit will face continued hostility and indifference from Patterson and Hackel. People in the general public in Oakland and Macomb need to be engaged with more small town hall meetings, neighborhood meetings, etc. houses of worship, schools, community centers and other gathering places need to be engaged.
    You're exactly right and that's the failure of the Yes campaign in 2016.

same goes for you
    Can you tell me how much a self driving car will cost in 5 years? Is it going to be cheaper than a car now? How will it help people making <$20,000 a year. Seriously I want to know because maybe you know something I don't

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    The ~~ Big Four ~~ meeting at Mackinac Island focused on mass transit
    - when the pressing needs for most residents is pothole repair.

Simply put, pot hole repair at the Big Four was NOT addressed.

Warren, one of Michigan's larger cities, has directed its DPW to use whatever overtime is needed to patch potholes, including working on Saturdays. Warren has six crews working with at least 20 employees round the clock.

Maybe Jim Fouts is the one that gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Can you tell me how much a self driving car will cost in 5 years? Is it going to be cheaper than a car now? How will it help people making <$20,000 a year. Seriously I want to know because maybe you know something I don't
    I don’t think it will be anymore expensive than what’s available today. A more relevant question may be, why would you want to buy one? The beauty of self driving cars is that it can drive it’s ass away once you’re done with it hense, less parking lots. You may want to start thinking about reclaiming your garage as living space.

Actually, I live in the R&D world and it's my job to make your fantasies reality. Stay tuned
    How affordable are these cars going to be. Will it help the Detroiters without a car or with one per family. These are the people who need public transportation

I don’t think it will be anymore expensive than what’s available today. A more relevant question may be, why would you want to buy one? The beauty of self driving cars is that it can drive it’s ass away once you’re done with it hense, less parking lots. You may want to start thinking about reclaiming your garage as living space.
    Sorry I actually didn't mean to quote your post, but still, how will this help people that can't afford a car?

In this instance I was beyond delighted that our messed up public transportation came to the rescue! We dodged a gigantic bullet. Amazon would have sucked our very limited resources to zero, while providing less than zero benefits for the city.

I await the autonomous vehicle that can navigate a snow-covered road or a Michigan road on a rainy night when the lane-divider lines magically disappear. Or are we going to be like Atlanta and shut down for a few inches of snow? There's a reason the first tests of AVs are going to be in Arizona - talk about a gimme test! No snow and almost no rain.

Also, since most people with office jobs work a standard 8:30-5:00 day, autonomous vehicles really won't take many if any vehicles off the road at rush hour. We still would need lots of cars to handle the rush, cars that would sit idle for the intervening eight hours. This idle time would be priced into the cost of the AVs. Unless the plan is to have multiple people in each vehicle, in which case the poor schmuck who happens to live at the end of the trip has to sit around while the AV makes multiple subdivision stops at, oh, ten or so minutes per stop.

Can a new governor for the State of Michigan actually "fix" Detroit transit ?

A history lesson

https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/h...ublic-transit/

http://detroittransithistory.info/

I agree,if it is not required to have a drivers license to be in a driverless vehicle,most likely a highly fuel efficient one,how does the state make up for the lost revenue?

A more relevant question for me is, how will you keep these hyper-shared mobility pods from smelling of wee?

^ I heard the Irish version will have wee little holes in them for easy draining.

It does bring up a good point,what happens if the pod picks somebody drunk that pukes in it,does it automatically return to a cleaning station before it collects you?
    Last edited by Richard; January-29-18 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    You are leaving out over half of Wayne county who have no use for mass transit!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast