Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    SB Nation [[March '18): Cabrera came into the new season seeking resurgence and redemption. He reported to the Tigers’ camp in Lakeland at full health and things are off to a good start.

DNews [[today): 10-day DL, This is the third injury the 35-year-old Cabrera has dealt with this season — and he’s played 26 games.

Next.....oh, any update on the paternity suit, just askin?
    Regretfully, it looks like Cabrera's decline is starting in full earnest. His bat speed has decreased, and his power has diminished some. And any time you start having nagging injuries repeatedly, it's a sure sign his body is breaking down. I was hoping he could eventually get to the 500 HR mark, but that may be questionable now. Anyone know how many hits he's away from 3,000? Pujols just reached it last night. Paternity suit info is being kept out the media I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Regretfully, it looks like Cabrera's decline is starting in full earnest. His bat speed has decreased, and his power has diminished some. And any time you start having nagging injuries repeatedly, it's a sure sign his body is breaking down. I was hoping he could eventually get to the 500 HR mark, but that may be questionable now. Anyone know how many hits he's away from 3,000? Pujols just reached it last night. Paternity suit info is being kept out the media I'm sure.
    Guess I'm getting older and more cynical but I really don't care if Cabrera reaches those milestones. For a guy who's made about half a billion dollars over his career he's had a lot of small things which have never made him my favorite player. He makes dumb base running plays, ignoring the 3rd base whenever he feels like it, and doesn't run out routine balls. He crosses the line in the amount he jokes with opposing baserunners. Grabbing their uniforms when they lead off gets old after a while. Like a lot of players today, he stresses strength to the detriment of flexibility and overall conditioning. Throw in the issues with his personal life and I'm ready to move on from the Miggy era.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Guess I'm getting older and more cynical but I really don't care if Cabrera reaches those milestones. For a guy who's made about half a billion dollars over his career he's had a lot of small things which have never made him my favorite player. He makes dumb base running plays, ignoring the 3rd base whenever he feels like it, and doesn't run out routine balls. He crosses the line in the amount he jokes with opposing baserunners. Grabbing their uniforms when they lead off gets old after a while. Like a lot of players today, he stresses strength to the detriment of flexibility and overall conditioning. Throw in the issues with his personal life and I'm ready to move on from the Miggy era.
    Fair enough.

Miggy needs 35 homers to get to 500. He needs 334 hits to reach 3000. His average exit velocity this season is 95.3 mph, the 4th highest in the entire MLB. His slash line this season is .323/.407/.516

Miggy clearly still has the skill of a top-tier MLB hitter, but the nagging injuries are likely to prevent him from producing 200 hit/40 HR seasons going forward.

Unless Miggy has a career-ending injury, it is a near certainty that he will surpass these milestones.

He crosses the line in the amount he jokes with opposing baserunners. Throw in the issues with his personal life and I'm ready to move on from the Miggy era.
    Appears to be the census of many I talk to, including myself, hope they can somehow pull-off a miracle [[ex P. Fielder) & unload this heavy [[$) burden......sooner/better.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    Miggy needs 35 homers to get to 500. He needs 334 hits to reach 3000. His average exit velocity this season is 95.3 mph, the 4th highest in the entire MLB. His slash line this season is .323/.407/.516

Miggy clearly still has the skill of a top-tier MLB hitter, but the nagging injuries are likely to prevent him from producing 200 hit/40 HR seasons going forward.

Unless Miggy has a career-ending injury, it is a near certainty that he will surpass these milestones.
    Thanks for the info.

7. Default

If you want to get inside the head of Ron Gardenhire and why he has this surprisingly scrappy team playing above its expectation today's Free Press has a great profile on him. I always liked him and this article says why.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...all/581193002/

If ever a guy has demonstrated why he should have remained a career minor leaguer it's Niko Goodrum. Aside from swinging for the fences every time up and striking out almost half his at bats, he can't field a lick at any infield position, not good for a utility guy. There be must someone else they can bring in aside from Ronny Rodriguez. I watched him in Lakeland and he's just as bad. Romine was the perfect utility guy. He just got overexposed at the plate by playing too much last year.
    Last edited by 401don; May-06-18 at 04:42 PM.

9. Default

Romine was the perfect utility guy. He just got overexposed at the plate by playing too much last year.
    And he would have been a great part of this veteran / rookie mix, a total pro.

10. Default

This team continues to be entertaining and, don't look now, but are one game out of first in their weak AL Central after tonight's wild come-from-behind win over Cleveland.

Entertaining because these are Keystone Kops wins. After coming back to take the lead with 5 runs in the seventh their eight inning reliever loads the base--then gets them out with no runs.

Their closer gets two Cleveland outs in the ninth, gets an easy comeback to him--and throw it away. But still gets them, but not before throwing a wind pitch to put the runner on third.

All this with Miggy, Candelario and a couple others on the DL and Victor Martinez as good as on it.

Fun win!

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/indians-...ap,game=530027

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This team continues to be entertaining and, don't look now, but are one game out of first in their weak AL Central after tonight's wild come-from-behind win over Cleveland.

Entertaining because these are Keystone Kops wins. After coming back to take the lead with 5 runs in the seventh their eight inning reliever loads the base--then gets them out with no runs.

Their closer gets two Cleveland outs in the ninth, gets an easy comeback to him--and throw it away. But still gets them, but not before throwing a wind pitch to put the runner on third.

All this with Miggy, Candelario and a couple others on the DL and Victor Martinez as good as on it.

Fun win!

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/indians-...ap,game=530027

We just need to hope the Indians decide to go into tank mode. Lol.

I still wonder if the fate of the [[recent) Tigers was made when they hired the former skipper, a guy named Brad...

The current skipper is doing a very good job and many of us are not surprised given what he did up in the Twin Cities.

Gardenhire is a good manager, always has been. Don't know what happened for him to leave the Twins, but I doubt Ausmus could get this group of primarily misfits and AAA call ups to buy in to his message. For the Tigers to be around the .500 mark with this roster is amazing. Hope it continues.

Gardenhire is a good manager, always has been. Don't know what happened for him to leave the Twins, but I doubt Ausmus could get this group of primarily misfits and AAA call ups to buy in to his message. For the Tigers to be around the .500 mark with this roster is amazing. Hope it continues.
    It's been fun watching and getting some wins while we wait for the next group to develop. We now have 2-3 guys, Candelario, Jones, and possibly Stewart who may be regulars in that next wave. If the top prospect starters continue to develop the turnaround may not take so long. Anyone hoping for a .500 season from this current group is probably dreaming, if only because Fulmer, Liriano, etc. will likely be moved at the deadline.

Anyone hoping for a .500 season from this current group is probably dreaming, if only because Fulmer, Liriano, etc. will likely be moved at the deadline.
    I hope Iglesias & Cabrera are included in the etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    I hope Iglesias & Cabrera are included in the etc.
    Iglesias will be gone at the end of this season anyway and they won't get anything in return if they move him beforehand. I think Lugo needs a full season of playing 2nd base at Toledo to challenge for the spot next spring. Machado obviously moves to short next year. If someone takes a portion of Cabrera's salary they might move him but again they won't get anything in return because teams won't pay both for him.

After going 1 for 4 yesterday, Victor Reyes raised his avg. to .118. It's time for the Tigers to give him back. The Rule 5 draft is unfair to position players and the Tigers are ruining any chance this guy has to develop his career by playing him once every 2 weeks. It's pretty obvious Reyes is not going to develop the power to be a corner outfielder and he's not their centerfielder of the future. I think the Rule 5 should require position players receive a minimum number of at bats in their 1st 50 games with their new team. Pitchers are fine because teams will use them enough to see if they are worth keeping or quickly send them back.

Iglesias will be gone at the end of this season anyway and they won't get anything in return if they move him beforehand. I think Lugo needs a full season of playing 2nd base at Toledo to challenge for the spot next spring. Machado obviously moves to short next year. If someone takes a portion of Cabrera's salary they might move him but again they won't get anything in return because teams won't pay both for him.
    Um, no. Machado is horrible in the field, he's more likely to not be a Tiger next year than he is their starting SS.

Iglesias has value, whether they get anything for him is irrelevant to the conversation, and anyone taking Cabrera's contract. oof

18. Default

Shohei Ohtani, the new Babe Ruth[?], is set to start for the Angels here in Detroit on Wed.

He entered Sunday batting .297 with six home runs, seven doubles and 20 RBIs in 29 games. He's also 4-1 with a 3.35 ERA in seven starts with 52 strikeouts over 401⁄ 3 innings. “We haven't had too many guys like that, that can pitch and hit like this young man can,” Tigers manager Ron Gardenhire said of Ohtani. “I'm anxious to see him. The pitching part and the hitting part.
    I've always considered Babe Ruth the greatest player ever because he both pitched [including 23 & 24 win seasons and a lifetime 2.28 ERA] and did he ever hit. Now comes possibly the greatest two-way talent since the Babe.

I don't think Shohei Ohtani will match the Babe's pitching levels, the way they baby [for good reason] pitchers these days. But, wow, what a talent!

Cabrera paternity suit update [[Freep):

- Rodriguez claims that Cabrera “does not even visit [[her) children, let alone call to see how they are doing or even wish them a happy birthday.” She claims he “treats the children of his marriage in high regard, while showing little to no regard for the minor children” he had with her.

“We are dealing with two very young children who do not know their father in the slightest. [[They) have never spent more than a couple of hours of time with him a few times a year......"

Nick Castellanos is really coming into his own as a hitter this year, though he was showing signs of it last season. He looks to have really matured at the plate, not swinging at bad pitches. The youngsters are also making the most of a opportunity as well. Gardenhire has them playing hard, winning baseball, and they are in most games.

Miggy is done for the year. His body is breaking down, and that contract is a albatross hanging over the Tigers head.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...te-plate-again

Miggy is done for the year. His body is breaking down, and that contract is a albatross hanging over the Tigers head.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...te-plate-again
    We finally get rid of Victor hitting singles for 20 million per year and now will get a new DH hitting singles for the next 5 years for 30 million per year - and, just like Victor, that's when he's in the lineup.

We finally get rid of Victor hitting singles for 20 million per year and now will get a new DH hitting singles for the next 5 years for 30 million per year - and, just like Victor, that's when he's in the lineup.
    Great moral booster for the younger players on the team at the lower end of the salary spectrum that play everyday.....lol.

At 10 straight losses, it's time to move a couple of the hot bats from Toledo into the lineup. Aducci has been hitting well over .300 and driving in runs all season and Ronny Rodriguez continues to rake at .325. Although Rodriguez is a free swinger who looked awful his last call up, it wouldn't hurt to put him the lineup at 2nd every day for a couple of weeks.
    I thought they would have to stick with VMart for the season but he's demonstrating he can't even put up mediocre numbers any more and is embarrassing both the team and himself. Time to pay him off and insist he goes.

I thought they would have to stick with VMart for the season but he's demonstrating he can't even put up mediocre numbers any more and is embarrassing both the team and himself. Time to pay him off and insist he goes
    Totally agree. I think that would have happened already if Miggy had stayed healthy. The Tigers were hoping Martinez would come around a bit from his slow start, but that hasn't happened. I'm tired of seeing the shift against him too...it works.

Machado needs to go to AA ball for more seasoning. If he's supposed to be the future, it ain't now. He hasn't come within a foot of a curve ball or outside slider and looks totally overmatched.

I think the Tigers need to shop for some veteran rubber arms for the bullpen just to make it through the season. As mentioned previously, you can't have 3 starters exiting in the 4th-5th inning after 85-90 pitches. You're going to ruin some young arms that way, and it's not going to get any better. The road trip to Cinci & Cleveland was a massacre, and August and September has the potential to be the same.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast