Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Why isn't there a furniture store on a major thoroughfare in downtown or midtown?

I would think by now, with the thousands of housing units in the pipeline or recently constructed, we would have an Art Van or Restoration Hardware on Woodward, Michigan, Grand River, or Gratiot. Is online retailing reducing the need for brick and mortar furniture stores? Is there an independent furniture store downtown that I'm not aware of?

Gardella on Gratiot
    There’s a wholesaler further up gratiot too
    Furniture and Beyond on Jos Campau
    Robinson on Jefferson
    Fred’s Unique on Livernois
    Hugh,City Bird in Midtown
    Last edited by hybridy; January-25-18 at 11:30 AM.

There was an article in the Det News Nov. 2015 quoting Art Van plans to put a store downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    I would think by now, with the thousands of housing units in the pipeline or recently constructed, we would have an Art Van or Restoration Hardware on Woodward, Michigan, Grand River, or Gratiot. Is online retailing reducing the need for brick and mortar furniture stores? Is there an independent furniture store downtown that I'm not aware of?

Gardella has been in Detroit before it was "hip" to be in Detroit. They have some unique, tasty pieces. Support Detroit business that has stuck it out through thick & thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Gardella has been in Detroit before it was "hip" to be in Detroit. They have some unique, tasty pieces. Support Detroit business that has stuck it out through thick & thin.
    Completely agree!

And I think a Restoration Hardware is dead. They announced a build out of the Albert Kahn Building but we haven't heard anything since. That was 2015 or '16.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    There was an article in the Det News Nov. 2015 quoting Art Van plans to put a store downtown.
    Correct, though there's been no more news about this.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    And I think a Restoration Hardware is dead. They announced a build out of the Albert Kahn Building but we haven't heard anything since. That was 2015 or '16.
    Yes, this is dead. There was an article confirming it.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yes, this is dead. There was an article confirming it.
    Thanks, must've missed it. Oh well...

Restoration Hardware would have been great, as well as something with more modern styles. I could even see there being an Ikea "Order and Collection Point" for people who don't want to drive all the way to Canton.

I dislike cheap break-away new furniture and have purchased many items from Fred's. Good quality, solid wood, tuck and groove seams!

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Fred’s Unique on Livernois

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Restoration Hardware would have been great, as well as something with more modern styles. I could even see there being an Ikea "Order and Collection Point" for people who don't want to drive all the way to Canton.
    Ikea has this window display in Greektown. I have seen many a people think it was a store and try to open the doors that lead into the display.

While there are reports from 2015 that confirm a Restoration Hardware on Woodward in downtown is dead, there is a September 2016 Free Press article that claims the owners of the Albert Khan building in New Center were in negotiations with Restoration Hardware. No subsequent articles have been written about this potential development

https://www.google.com.kw/url?sa=t&s...1eSLMlV9KYoVu7

Robinson Furniture is cheesy and can't compare to Art Van, Gardner White, Gorman, nor Restoration Hardware. Fred's furniture store on Livernois selling used furniture not new. As usual Detroiters fool themselves into thinking that we have something when we don't. We find ourselves driving to the suburbs to purchase a new bedroom, livingroom, or dining sets for our new homes or to refurbish the homes that we are already occupying. Why doesn't Detroit,with it's growing white collared communities, shut out good furniture stores is questionable. Jefferson should be lined with great quality furniture stores such as Art Van, Gormans, Gardner White; not Riverside Furniture, Robinson, and Fred's. The DEGC and other planning and economic communities had done a mediocre job in development and drawing good quality retail to the city. Dan Gilbert has to understand that some of these furniture stores are looking for space and parking. Most of the potential customer base for these stores will be come from areas such as Sherwood Forest, Indian Village/West Village, Midtown/North End/Boston- Edison, Lafayette Park, as well as the condos and lofts around the downtown midtown area. I would love to see Bright Ideas opening a second store in the downtown area. People say let's support the furniture stores that stayed in Detroit and didn't leave. With the exception to Gardella the reason why the other furniture stores stayed because they had catered to mostly the bad credit low income crowd who wanted new cheesy furniture. I am of lower income but would rather go to Marcia Walker, Estefek, and other estate sales held in Grosse Pointe than to buy some called new furniture from anyplace on Jefferson nor Livernois

^^^ I hear you! Ever been to Romeo and Juliet furniture on east Eight mile? Scary indeed. Very cheap, crapola, eh-hmmm furniture.

I'd rather buy used at Freds then there. Sadly if you want a new mattress set you must go outside of Detroit. My last Serta was from a mattress store in Farmington Hills!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-28-18 at 08:48 PM.

Okay, so here's an Art Van update a year after the original 2015 article. Still says it's a go and would open a year after finding a site and renovating. That would mean it should be opening about now:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...QO14O7ueZYprUR

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    They can order whatever you want from almost any manufacturer. My master bedroom and my breakfast room is all Gardella.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Okay, so here's an Art Van update a year after the original 2015 article. Still says it's a go and would open a year after finding a site and renovating. That would mean it should be opening about now:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...QO14O7ueZYprUR
    Art Van has not even started to build out on any building in Detroit even with all of these new development around the city. Someone is probably giving Art Van a hard time in opening a store in Detroit

^^^ They [[Art Van) may feel that their eight mile store [[on the Warren side of the street) is sufficient and stalling on building further.

Don't forget, ArtVan was sold to a private equity firm in early 2017. Just may be the reason why nothing has been done on a potential store in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'd rather buy used at Freds then there. Sadly if you want a new mattress set you must go outside of Detroit. My last Serta was from a mattress store in Farmington Hills!
    Mattress have the biggest markup. Went shopping for a new one this weekend. Went to ArtVan and the guy wanted to sell us a $2,000. mattress with a "free" mechanical frame with a remote that lifts the head up. And, if you want the frame that lifts the feet and/or vibrates, it's at an extra cost. Also, if you have a head board, you have to purchase a kit to attach the frame. Normally a $700 charge, but "that day" it's free!. I told him we already have a frame. Ya think they would take the $700 of the price of the mattress itself but nope, still a $2,000. mattress. I'm still looking though!
    Last edited by Maof; January-29-18 at 07:37 AM.

Yeah buying one is like going to a used car lot, with a deluxe-shister salesman trolling. Best review brand and sub-brands before you venture our. Not only are mattresses at furniture stores a rip-off but the manufacturers have all these overlapping features and what not.

I purchased my last Serta at a mattress wholesaler, on a lawaway plan so I did ok. Not great. Another time I went to Sears as I need purchase one delivered fast and could not fuss too much about price that time.

Casper has great mattresses at reasonable prices. Yeah, it's online only, but they have a super-generous return policy. Casper is far more comfy than the $2,000 Sertas.

^^^ I can believe that as I have a couple of Casper pillows. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Casper has great mattresses at reasonable prices. Yeah, it's online only, but they have a super-generous return policy. Casper is far more comfy than the $2,000 Sertas.
    Yes, I may go that route. A family member purchased a Saavata mattress and says it's the best they've ever had, also with a great return policy.