Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Native Born Detroiters Club

Was going through some old family papers the other day and found some information that my grandfather was a member of "The Native Born Detroiters Club". This was probably some time in the 1940's. Tried Googling it but did not come up with very much information. Does anyone know what this club was and what they did? I do know that they had meetings at The Book-Cadillac Hotel in Detroit.

1951 native born detroiters club pinback buttonName:  1951-native-born-detroiters-club_1_f6b6322a8d60e329585304a1b21893af.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  18.9 KB

Interesting...I can only assume it wasn't a "nativist" club like the Know-Nothings but simply a club for people whose families where here since before the mass migration, post-1914 $5 a day Ford wages.

Did you try the Detroit Historical Museum....I think it's still on Woodward.

^^^ It is. Going strong on Woodward.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do intend to check the Detroit Historical Museum when I get a chance to get down there. I was hoping with all of the knowledge of the the people on this thread, I could get a little insight beforehand. Thanks again.

1951 being the year of the city's 250th birthday, I'd guess that the button and club [[if there was an actual club that convened) might have been part of the celebration. It was a big deal, celebrating all year long. The Detroit Historical Museum was built that year as a gift to the people of the city. There was a parade. And lots of 250th memorabilia. The pin might have appealed to those whose roots could be traced back to the founding of Detroit.