Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Velodrome Opening; Antietam Closing

The ebb and flow of business, as shown in this interesting side-by-side Freep headlines, has taken down the often-lauded Antietam Restaurant on Eastern Market's Gratiot Ave. Meanwhile, not far away, the new Detroit velodrome is opening.

The Lexus Velodrome, an inflatable, climate-controlled dome, will have its grand opening races at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and be open for public use on Monday, Jan. 29. It is located north of Mack Avenue at I-75.

The Detroit velodrome joins a training facility in Colorado Springs and a venue in Los Angeles as the only indoor velodromes in the U.S.

“It is great to have an indoor training resource in the winter time,” said Joan Hanscom, 50, a competitive cyclist from Colorado Springs.

Name:  upanddown.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  109.7 KB

I don't know if I am that surprised the Antietam is closing. I have seen a lot of not so flattering things said about how the owner treats people from those in the restaurant industry. I was also filling up my tank near downtown a week or two ago when someone came up to me asking for a few bucks. Nothing out of the ordinary there but the guy told me he needed gas money to get back to Flint because he had been doing work for Antietam and the owner stiffed him and now he was stuck downtown. Take it with a grain of salt but that was the most specific story I have ever received while being asked for money.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I was also filling up my tank near downtown a week or two ago when someone came up to me asking for a few bucks. Nothing out of the ordinary there but the guy told me he needed gas money to get back to Flint because he had been doing work for Antietam and the owner stiffed him and now he was stuck downtown.
    Sorry, but that was most likely a scam. The "Flint gas guy" has been using variants of this sob story for years. You'll find him somewhere downtown frequently.

We ate there once before they closed the first time, after only a week or two it seemed. I guess the head chef left and took most of the kitchen staff with him? The food was great, but the service was kinda weird. There were two hostesses for some reason. Our waiter took our drink order and one of the hostesses and the bartender brought them out. Good food and awesome interior -great use of reclaimed stuff. The restroom smelled of old wood - like the 150+ year-old sawmill in Greenfield Village.

Quote Originally Posted by Elevator Fan View Post
    Sorry, but that was most likely a scam. The "Flint gas guy" has been using variants of this sob story for years. You'll find him somewhere downtown frequently.
    Well between the truck full of tiling stuff and the story regarding a business owner who I have heard some mixed things about its a good story/scam. Are you implying though that it is the same guy?

If we are talking about the ebb and flow of business, the velodrome won’t be around long. They’re the less popular version of indoor driving ranges and expensive things to insure. I give it 3 years.

Incredible decor and wonderful food at Antietam. I'm sorry to see another romantic spot go. Yes, I've also heard pretty negative things about the owner and you can sorta read into his persona from the interviews with him. I remember seeing him say the spot used to be black bottom and he'd have cheap oysters for that, now he says he was never into art deco, lots of bold talk.
    Separate from the leader, the place he designed is head and shoulders above other restaurant design in Metro Detroit. The food holds a high level too.

Quote Originally Posted by Elevator Fan View Post
    Funny because we have guys up here in Flint saying they need to get back to Detroit. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Funny because we have guys up here in Flint saying they need to get back to Detroit. lol.

Maybe DetroitYes! could initiate a Rideshare program?

Geeze, for this guy Brooklyn isn't "authentic" enough anymore. And now even Detroit isn't "authentic" enough! But I've heard Syria has been keeping it real lately. Maybe he should open a restaurant there?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Maybe DetroitYes! could initiate a Rideshare program?
    Tell him to wait for commuter rail between Detroit and Flint.

how does this recreational business work?

It is kinda like laser tag or any other outdoor sport brought indoors.

For us it is not the cold but the heat,so tucked away in air conditioned wharehouses is rock climbing,skate board parks,laser tag,paint ball wars as an operator it allows 24/7 365 customer base.

There is an indoor skate board park by me,in the summer and during school weekends that place has a line out of the door and a block long all day long and it is huge.

Next door they have a bicycle one that is the same way.

Not shure what the cost of entry is or even the insurance,most Likely they have to sign some sort of waiver or their parents have to sign if minors.

I think the ones that cater to the teens are a good idea,the parents drop them off for the day and they know they are in a controlled situation and safe,so many options have been taken away during the years and it gives them something to do outside of being glued to a phone all day.
    Last edited by Richard; January-24-18 at 09:59 PM.

Even as a cyclist, I do not think I would have much use of the Velodrome... but I will try it at least twice.

As far as Antietam? Love that place, never had a bad experience. It is still my favorite brunch spot. Always surprised it was not busier.

Default Glad for closing

As far as Antietam? Love that place, never had a bad experience. It is still my favorite brunch spot. Always surprised it was not busier.[/QUOTE]

Exorbitant prices, high priced cocktails, nice atmosphere, came away hungry.