Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who Heard/ Saw The Michigan Mini Meteor?

I hear a bang but did not pay attention, but I did not see any light. I was in Southfield at the time. Did anyone else notice?

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...it/1038911001/

http://abcnews.go.com/US/earthquake-...ry?id=52397269

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...chigan-n838311
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-17-18 at 09:36 PM.

A flash of light, a clap of thunder, could've it been, my man, Stevie Wonder?

I really regret missing this. The date doesn't seem to match any of the major annual meteor showers so it was likely a lone wolf.

There were reports of jets flying around after the event. I did hear those.

I heard and felt it, but I thought it was my kids upstairs. My wife was upstairs with the kids and she thought a house exploded in the neighborhood [[she only heard and felt it, she did not see it).

From Canton. My wife and I both heard the rumble and felt the corresponding shaking through the floor.
    She thought that something had landed on the roof. I thought maybe a very large truck had driven by.

I wish I would have been outside to see the flash.

Or maybe it was a North Korean missile shot down by Nikes launched from our bases on Belle Isle and in Rouge Park?

On a serious note I'm surprise our air defense command does not spot these. Maybe they do and know it will be inconsequential but they should at least let us know so we can watch.

In Grosse Pointe... It was cloudy with light snow falling. Saw a double purple flash that lit up the entire western sky, with a single bright spot about 30° above the horizon. Heard a long roar, which I assumed was a jet flying by.

saw the flash above/behind me in Lansing. no noise, no shaking.

Mildly surprised that no one [[media included) has identified it properly. From Wikipedia:

A
    bolide [[French via Latin from the Greek βολίς bolís, "missile"[2][3]) is an extremely bright meteor, especially one that explodes in the atmosphere. In astronomy, it refers to a fireball about as bright as the full moon, and it is generally considered a synonym of a fireball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Mildly surprised that no one [[media included) has identified it properly. From Wikipedia:

A
    bolide [[French via Latin from the Greek βολίς bolís, "missile"[2][3]) is an extremely bright meteor, especially one that explodes in the atmosphere. In astronomy, it refers to a fireball about as bright as the full moon, and it is generally considered a synonym of a fireball.
    Fox2 meteorologist and the Cranbrook dude did call it a Bolide; meteor that breaks up in earth's atmosphere. Heard it this morning.
    http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...classic-bolide

I was about to pull in my driveway when I saw the bright flash. I thought it was a wire or transformer exploding and I started to look around to see if anyone lost power on our block. A few minutes later, I heard what I thought was thunder and wondered if we were having thunder snow.

Here's a link to where pieces of the meteor supposedly could have made landfall. There's some public land and a few large lakes in the area and it's not too far from my home. I might just waste an hour or two tomorrow morning and give meteor hunting a shot.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ty/1041217001/

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Here's a link to where pieces of the meteor supposedly could have made landfall. There's some public land and a few large lakes in the area and it's not too far from my home. I might just waste an hour or two tomorrow morning and give meteor hunting a shot.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ty/1041217001/

Any chance of you scoring a piece or two of that, Johnnny5. I'd be willing to trade for fossils. [[I'm serious)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Any chance of you scoring a piece or two of that, Johnnny5. I'd be willing to trade for fossils. [[I'm serious)
    Wasn't too excited about heading out this morning with the wind, so I postponed my trip out there until after lunch. I'll let you know how I do, but in the unlikely event that I actually come across something I doubt I'd be willing to part with my well traveled outer space spoils. LOL.

Wasn't too excited about heading out this morning with the wind, so I postponed my trip out there until after lunch. I'll let you know how I do, but in the unlikely event that I actually come across something I doubt I'd be willing to part with my well traveled outer space spoils. LOL.

Be careful! If you hear something rustling in the shrubbery, RUN!

[[Alien vs. Predator)

Yes, I meteor from Planet Krypton that blew up 80 years ago fell to earth.

Well, I wasn't the only idiot out there looking! I stopped by the Hamburg Township soccer and baseball fields and there were already about a dozen or so people out there. Some had metal detectors, a few with rakes and magnets and a most just aimlessly walking around. I spotted a few things that looked promising from a distance, but they all turned out to be freshly dug holes from hungry squirrels.

In hindsight I should have taken my electric bicycle, or a drone if I had one. That would have allowed me to cover a lot more ground than being on foot. No meteor treasure for me today, so it's back to the daily grind.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-18-18 at 03:10 PM.

freshly dug holes from hungry squirrels.

Coincidence? I don't think so........

Coincidence? I don't think so........
    The squirrel holes with a small crater and dirt thrown all around really stood out in the fresh snow. If it wasn't for the little tracks all around the holes, they would have looked exactly like what I would expect from a piece of meteor.

On second thought, maybe they weren't squirrel tracks. Maybe they were footprints from miniature drunken aliens that were just stumbling around their crashed space crafts.

Yikes! Neither one are a good time!

[[Alien vs. Predator)

On second thought, maybe they weren't squirrel tracks. Maybe they were footprints from miniature drunken aliens that were just stumbling around their crashed space crafts.

NOW I think you're on to something! Remember the scene from Life of Brian?

NOW I think you're on to something! Remember the scene from Life of Brian?
    I'm not familiar with it, but that's not surprising as I haven't owned a TV in ages.

Looks like some people found some success today. There's a Freep article about a meteorite hunter finding 3 of them today on one of the lakes in Hamburg. I was going to to give that a shot, but knowing how quickly dark colored objects can melt into the ice I figured it would be a tough go, I guess my hunch was wrong.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ke/1044529001/

I'm not familiar with it, but that's not surprising as I haven't owned a TV in ages.

Looks like some people found some success today. There's a Freep article about a meteorite hunter finding 3 of them today on one of the lakes in Hamburg. I was going to to give that a shot, but knowing how quickly dark colored objects can melt into the ice I figured it would be a tough go, I guess my hunch was wrong.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ke/1044529001/

I'm familiar, [[or was) with Hamburg. Used to sail Hobies @ Whitmore Lk. There was a pizza place in Hamburg we would get carry out and go back to Whitmore. I read an article once about scientists finding a number of meteorites on the ice @ the poles, so I knew they didn't sizzle through like I originally thought. I haven't seen The Life of Brian in 40 years, and haven't owned a TV in 15. It's a Monty Python flick. Rent it someday, it's good for a few classic scenes and some yuks.

Must have slept through the whole thing. Wake me when North Korea does a stupid move,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast