Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Why Is The 2008 Impala Such A Popular Steal In Metro-Detroit?

I recently stumbled across these two articles [[http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2017/07/12/stolen-vehicles-last-year/103641810/and https://www.michiganautolaw.com/blog...cars-michigan/) and found it interesting that the 2008 Chevrolet Impala has been the most stolen car in Metro-Detroit for two consecutive years.

The articles mention that the dated security features in these vehicles make it easier for thieves to target. Still, there are plenty of other vehicles with dated security. Why the Impala? Do there just happen to be a lot of them out on the road? Is there better scrap value for some of the parts? Is it all just coincidence? I thought this was an interesting tidbit of information and I was hoping to get some insight from anyone with a little more knowledge in auto sales.

I also don't mean to bring this up to negatively tie theft in with Detroit. Car theft happens throughout the country in every city. I'm just interested in knowing why the Impala is so desired here.

I thought initially the Chrysler 300 and especially the Dodge products were the gun-in-your-face 'car jacking', theft magnets?

Is that the Impala model start year where the key falls out the hinky ignition locking the car up? No, that would be later. I test drove one and just did not get the interest. Even the gear shifter felt plastic and junky.

Correct me if I am wrong, I think they are/ were rental fleet cars and thus sorta nondescript. Now the original Impala of the 80's... and before. Nothing was nondescript about those!

That's what I thought too! This was years ago, but back in the early 2000's I had my Dodge Durango stolen from my shop. I was told Dodge vehicles are very popular for theft. I was surprised to to see the Impala top the chart.

I didn't consider the rental aspect and that's a good point! I can't find any data, but you may be onto something...

Probably just a issue of their popularity and the thieves familiarly with how to break in and get them started. My guess is that they're mainly being used for joyrides/transportation as used parts for a 2008 Impala are not really that expensive. If you steal a car to drive and want to avoid the police, an Impala isn't going to stand out in the crowd.

That body style/accessories went across multiple years before GM changed it. There's probably billions of those out there. People crash them, blow them up, and need parts. That's why the theft for that model is so high.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Probably just a issue of their popularity and the thieves familiarly with how to break in and get them started. My guess is that they're mainly being used for joyrides/transportation as used parts for a 2008 Impala are not really that expensive. If you steal a car to drive and want to avoid the police, an Impala isn't going to stand out in the crowd.
    you just shared a scene from Drive...awesome movie
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1D-D1i50cM