Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Electric Muscle -- Auto Show Corvette goes 220 MPH 0-60 in 3 sec.

Have a spare $750K sitting around for a car one can probably never drive at top speed? Then is electric-powered boy-toy needs to be in your garage. I don't get this appeal but then I'm not the target audience.

Automotive startup Genovation Cars has converted a Chevrolet C7 Corvette into an all electric supercar that features 800 horsepower, 700 lb-ft of torque and an estimated top speed of 220 mph. It can blaze 0 to 60 mph in just under 3 seconds. And it's one of the few electric cars with an optional 7-speed manual transmission.

The Maryland-based firm unveiled its GXE last week at the CES tech conference and says it plans to sell no more than 75 of the $750,000 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Have a spare $750K sitting around for a car one can probably never drive at top speed? Then is electric-powered boy-toy needs to be in your garage. I don't get this appeal but then I'm not the target audience.
    It could go faster but at 220 you need to recharge the battery.

Nah, gimme this one. This 1968 version, as is!

https://www.freep.com/videos/money/c...ack/109472218/
    Last edited by Maof; January-15-18 at 05:17 PM.

Default The Ford Nucleon-1958

Ford had the right answer to speed and economy 60 years ago with the “Nucleon”. Because of today’s looming energy crisis and slow migration to alternative fuel sources, we may not have seen the last of the atomic automobile concept. A safe atomic vehicle may not be entirely beyond our reach, as the US Navy has demonstrated with its perfect record of nuclear safety. Perhaps one day fossil fuels will wither under the radioactive glare of the mighty atom, and our highways will hum with the steam turbines of mobile Chernobyls. It could be a real blast.Name:  ford nuec [[2).jpg
Views: 602
Size:  179.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Automotive startup Genovation Cars has converted a Chevrolet C7 Corvette into an all electric supercar that features 800 horsepower, 700 lb-ft of torque and an estimated top speed of 220 mph. It can blaze 0 to 60 mph in just under 3 seconds. And it's one of the few electric cars with an optional 7-speed manual transmission.

The Maryland-based firm unveiled its GXE last week at the CES tech conference and says it plans to sell no more than 75 of the $750,000 cars.

For a company that mass produces as many cars as it has for over a century, I can never understand why GM is so far behind in cars. The electric Tesla Roadster came out a decade ago and did 0-60 in 3 seconds and it was only a $100K vehicle, not $750K.

In 2016, Tesla came out with the model SP100D which has 760HP and does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds with a quarter mile in 10.7s.
    https://electrek.co/2016/09/15/tesla...mile-in-10-7s/

Their new Tesla 2020 roadster is said to do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds with an 8.9 second quarter mile and over 250 miles top speed. https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/16/te...-new-roadster/

It makes me think of the Chevy Real People parodies by Zebra Corner. The new Malibu commercial:
    Salesman: It has keyless entry.
    Mahk: Ooo, my 84 Nissan Maxima has keyless entry.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTfS0nAgfuE

How they arrive at $750K is beyond me. A new gas powered Corvette is $65K. If a buyer really wanted an electric Corvette and had a body shop put Corvette body panels on a Tesla, they'd save over half a million bucks vs buying a GXE. There's body shops in Windsor that can put a Ferrari or Lambo body kit on an old Pontiac Fiero and swap out the 4 banger with a V8 for 20 grand for a decent replica, so $750K sounds like quite the scam.

Last edited by davewindsor; January-15-18 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    For a company that mass produces as many cars as it has for over a century, I can never understand why GM is so far behind in cars. The electric Tesla Roadster came out a decade ago and did 0-60 in 3 seconds and it was only a $100K vehicle, not $750K.
    Maybe 750k is high, but this isn't from GM directly. Its a separate company that adds the EV parts to an existing Corvette.

Except for front engine power, the Pontiac Banshee show car, [[last edition) has all of the features of the new 2020 Corvette.
    Heads up display, square steering wheel, massive compartment divider.
    Who fell asleep at the wheel all these years ?

Name:  ban4_pontiac_02.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  8.6 KB

Last edited by Bigb23; January-07-20 at 01:10 AM.

Is there really a need, to own a car that goes over 220 MPH? I mean are people actually going to try to reach those speeds? The ridiculous price is another story.

The new Corvette will accomplish almost the same thing for a fraction of that.

From the Davison W off ramp west straight to the I-96 local entrance across Livernois! Sounds like she could just make it.

Just hope the lights all stay green.

And a Dodge Hellcat is no were near!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Is there really a need, to own a car that goes over 220 MPH? I mean are people actually going to try to reach those speeds? The ridiculous price is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    The new Corvette will accomplish almost the same thing for a fraction of that.
    Yeah but when I crash at over 200 mph I prefer my engine up front.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Yeah but when I crash at over 200 mph I prefer my engine up front.
    Well played !!