Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit City FC to Convert Abandoned Rink into Fieldhouse

Looks like the lower division team that renovated historic Keyworth Stadium in Hamtramck is at it again. I know there has been a lot of speculation on the forum about an MLS team, and what that would mean for the city, but these guys are here already, actually getting it done at a community level.

I wish more people would see that this is the kind of grass roots support in the neighborhoods that we need. They are hoping to use this for free clinics, youth leagues, adult leagues, etc. Sure, this will allow them to have a pipeline into local talent, but this is something that not even most MLS teams do, and these guys are getting it done with an amateur side.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...nto-fieldhouse

This is fantastic news but keep in mind that if you want MLS here it doesn't mean you also don't support City and their efforts. Too often this topic is painted as an either or argument when in reality some people just want to watch the highest level of soccer we have in this country. If we land MLS I'm not gonna stop going to DCFC games.

Great news for soccer, DCFC and the Eastside. Much has been said in soccer circles about the backward pay to play system in the U.S. keeping young soccer talent down.

If Detroit can create a player development pipeline without the high costs to families of typical American youth development, then we've got a real talent pool a a model the rest of the country can look at. DCFC might be trying to capture this. Why not? They've been excellent in all their efforts so far.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    This is fantastic news but keep in mind that if you want MLS here it doesn't mean you also don't support City and their efforts. Too often this topic is painted as an either or argument when in reality some people just want to watch the highest level of soccer we have in this country. If we land MLS I'm not gonna stop going to DCFC games.
    I don't really want to get into an argument about MLS v DCFC because this is such a great asset to the community but if you want MLS and still support DCFC [[I did at one point), then that means MLS will push out DCFC. You can keep going to DCFC games, I know I will, but that will only last as long as MLS isn't here. Once MLS is in Detroit, DCFC will be pushed out. It's all about cash and MLS rakes in more.

How will it be pushed out? DCFC draws in the diehard fans now, not so much the casual soccer fan. Just because there is a larger club doesn’t mean that DCFC will disappear or not be as appealing to people. Cities in Europe have multiple teams at different levels and they all have their followings. I don’t see why it has to be one or the other especially when DCFC’s fan base is cult like.

I think an MLS team will hurt DCFC's long-term growth, because DCFC has enjoyed a competition-free market for its entire existence. The club has done a very good job making the most of that opportunity, but I believe a lot of their success has come from being the only show in a soccer-starved town. They have ambitions to move up, but an MLS team coming here will surely put a lower ceiling on their trajectory.

I certainly think there is a place for two teams, as the average DCFC attendance makes up about .15% of the Metro population, but an MLS team will certainly make an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I think an MLS team will hurt DCFC's long-term growth, because DCFC has enjoyed a competition-free market for its entire existence. The club has done a very good job making the most of that opportunity, but I believe a lot of their success has come from being the only show in a soccer-starved town. They have ambitions to move up, but an MLS team coming here will surely put a lower ceiling on their trajectory.

I certainly think there is a place for two teams, as the average DCFC attendance makes up about .15% of the Metro population, but an MLS team will certainly make an impact.
    This right here.

The article starts out with "Detroit City FC can't turn pro until the American soccer system sorts out a court battle, but it's not spending its offseason idle." I'm relatively new to the world of soccer, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. We're debating over whether or not an MLS team would kill off DCFC, but isn't it entirely possible DCFC could become a MLS team? I think the strides they've been making and this new field house certainly put them in a great position.

Sadly, it isn't.

Unlike the rest of the world, soccer in the US is a closed system, meaning teams in a lower league can't be "promoted" to a higher league. For example in England, the top 3 teams in "DII" every year get promoted to the "DI" league, and the worst three teams in the top league get sent down.

In the MLS right now, the worst teams stay in the MLS, and the best teams in the second division [[The USL) cannot jump to the MLS. Many people would love to see this change, except the owners of MLS teams, which would have obvious reasons to not want their investment to get sent down to "DII" soccer. There is hope that a new president of US soccer will move to change this, but it could take a long time.

Now, DCFC could theoretically put together their own bid to buy their way into the MLS in the next round of expansion, but they don't have the financial backing to afford the $150 million franchise fee [[plus stadium costs). They might be able to move up a division, but anything beyond that is out of reach. And it appears that they have no interest in joining up with the current MLS bid.

In summary, US soccer is a hot mess.

best of luck. I had little idea what that building was for, as often as I've driven past.

Sadly, it isn't.

Unlike the rest of the world, soccer in the US is a closed system, meaning teams in a lower league can't be "promoted" to a higher league. For example in England, the top 3 teams in "DII" every year get promoted to the "DI" league, and the worst three teams in the top league get sent down.

In the MLS right now, the worst teams stay in the MLS, and the best teams in the second division [[The USL) cannot jump to the MLS. Many people would love to see this change, except the owners of MLS teams, which would have obvious reasons to not want their investment to get sent down to "DII" soccer. There is hope that a new president of US soccer will move to change this, but it could take a long time.

Now, DCFC could theoretically put together their own bid to buy their way into the MLS in the next round of expansion, but they don't have the financial backing to afford the $150 million franchise fee [[plus stadium costs). They might be able to move up a division, but anything beyond that is out of reach. And it appears that they have no interest in joining up with the current MLS bid.

In summary, US soccer is a hot mess.
    Ahhh thanks for explaining that. This is very unfortunate. It'd make sense if they opened it up so that more teams could jump up. I don't know that should necessarily mean the worst teams have to jump down a division.