Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Planet Fitness planned for downtown Detroit

.... if you're going to be super-technical, it's just east of downtown proper, between Jefferson/Rivard and the riverfront at Atwater. At one point this was Crain Detroit's headquarters before they moved to the Gratiot site. It was empty for a number of years.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...it/1017849001/

I'll have to check this out once it's all finished and available for the public. There should be plenty of room in the basement level of this office building. I wonder how it's going to look when it's finally renovated to be a gym. I guess they will have to get a security guard for the parking lot facing Franklin. There is currently at least one tenant in the upper floors of that office building, a nonprofit agency.

Nice to hear about plans to open other sites elsewhere in the city as well. Detroit has had a relative lack of workout gyms for many years.

Interesting choice of location. In my head that site was always prime for redevelopment after things get going on the east riverfront.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ....Detroit has had a relative lack of workout gyms for many years.
    I heard a story the other day that there had been a surprising increase in consumer complaints about gym memberships. As I recall, it was mostly about salespeople's promises not matching the contract.

So, read the fine print!

Heard from an insider at Lifetime Fitness that Detroit is being considered. Hudson would be perfect

I’m not sure the programming at Hudson’s would allow for a development like that. Monroe is more likely. Does Lifetime do urban concepts though? I’m picturing something like Whole Foods that has parking worked into the site.

LTF Generally need 100,000 plus sq ft
    That's a lot of space.

I have never set foot in Lifetime. I do know it's $150 a month. I wonder if there is enough clientele in and around downtown to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    I have never set foot in Lifetime. I do know it's $150 a month. I wonder if there is enough clientele in and around downtown to support it.
    When condos, apartments and townhomes sell for $1M, yes

I'm glad about this for what it says about business, but as a former member of this company, I didn't really like my membership. Especially the contract I couldn't get out of!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I'm glad about this for what it says about business, but as a former member of this company, I didn't really like my membership. Especially the contract I couldn't get out of!
    what do you mean?

Their very low prices come with a contract [[mine was a 3-year contract). I moved to where there was no franchise near me. There was no opt out. I paid for 2 more years for a membership I couldn't use. My fault entirely for signing a contract like that. But I won't do it again. I don't really sign up for payments on ANYTHING now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    Only their "Diamond Club" [[Bloomfield) is $149 per month. Their "Gold Clubs" [[West Bloomfield, Troy, Shelby Twp, Novi, Canton) are $72-79 per month and their "Platinum Club" [[Rochester Hills) is $89 per month.

I think Lifetime and a few other gyms qualify for discounts in a lot of health insurance plans. I know a few people who do not pay the full membership price, thanks to their healthcare provider.

Life Time would be awesome to have downtown. They are currently mostly located in suburbs aside from some in Boston, Minneapolis, and some plains/southern cities.

I would think it'd be a gold level downtown but they do have bronze level in other states.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Only their "Diamond Club" [[Bloomfield) is $149 per month. Their "Gold Clubs" [[West Bloomfield, Troy, Shelby Twp, Novi, Canton) are $72-79 per month and their "Platinum Club" [[Rochester Hills) is $89 per month.
    Sounds like I need Tin. How much for the "Tin Club"?

That sounds more competitive. If it were $70- $100 they could probably swing it downtown if you add up residents and workers, with many of the latter probably getting either an insurance or corporate discount.

As a current Member of LifeTime and a previous member of Planet Fitness, I find LTF to be well worth the membership! That being said, for $10/month, Planet Fitness is great for what it is.

Even the "diamond club" could be had for less.

Lifetime isn't all higher-income people. It's generally people who are into working out. Michigan winters suck, so you generally need a good gym to stay in shape-year round.

And it's not like $80 a month is that crazy. Lots of people spend like $250 a month on cable/internet. Have a kid? You could spend that much on daycare in one day.

Yeah, I like PF. Simple, affordable. Get in, do the exercises, leave.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanViews View Post
    As a current Member of LifeTime and a previous member of Planet Fitness, I find LTF to be well worth the membership! That being said, for $10/month, Planet Fitness is great for what it is.

what sort of amenities does lifetime fitness have?

what sort of amenities does lifetime fitness have?
    In addition to free weights, machines, treadmills, etc., they've also got saunas, steam rooms, hot tubs, lap pools, leisure pools, outdoor pools, on-site cafe, on-site spa and salon, rock climbing wall, basketball courts, free classes, chiropractors, and some other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    In addition to free weights, machines, treadmills, etc., they've also got saunas, steam rooms, hot tubs, lap pools, leisure pools, outdoor pools, on-site cafe, on-site spa and salon, rock climbing wall, basketball courts, free classes, chiropractors, and some other stuff.
    They also have squash and racketball courts, child care, and probably the nicest locker rooms in Metro Detroit outside of professional venues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    They also have squash and racketball courts, child care, and probably the nicest locker rooms in Metro Detroit outside of professional venues.

Yes but, do they have an in-house donut shop?

what gym has donuts?

what gym has donuts?
    Jim Hortons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast