Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Microsoft Signage

I've notice Microsoft has their signage on the outside of the compuware building.
    I know it's a small thing,but here in Detroit it speaks volumes.
    By having a big name players name prominently displayed sends a signal to other big "players" ...amazon, that Detroit can attract high tech companies and their employees.
    Any thoughts ?

Amazon is wishful thinking, sort of like buying a lottery ticket.
    Be fully prepared for absolutely nothing to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I've notice Microsoft has their signage on the outside of the compuware building.
    By having a big name players name prominently displayed sends a signal to other big "players" ...amazon, that Detroit can attract high tech companies and their employees.
    Any thoughts ?
    It's good for people to know who's downtown now. Possibly Microsoft being downtown is also useful signal to other companies, but the sign itself isn't relevant to Amazon. Amazon knew already, if they cared.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    It's good for people to know who's downtown now. Possibly Microsoft being downtown is also useful signal to other companies, but the sign itself isn't relevant to Amazon. Amazon knew already, if they cared.
    Also with Google about to place their signage up at LCA could be another positive sign?...#glasshalffullguy

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Not quite.

The odds are 1 in 238 with Amazon. With an equivalent lottery ticket, the odds are 1 in 175 million.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Were you ahead of the resurgence of Detroit or did that catch you by surprise?........or do you believe that’s also a big nothing?

PS. I’d suggest you hedge a bet in the event that you’re wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Not quite.

The odds are 1 in 238 with Amazon. With an equivalent lottery ticket, the odds are 1 in 175 million.
    I’d say it’s better than that. In fact, the less I hear about Detroit having a chance in the media, the more I think it’s likely. Think of it like Illich’s “dereliction by design” scheme. The less folks are excited, the better the grab.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Were you ahead of the resurgence of Detroit or did that catch you by surprise?........or do you believe that’s also a big nothing?

PS. I’d suggest you hedge a bet in the event that you’re wrong.
    I think O3H is from ohio and a Detroit hater

While we are unlikely to land Amazon, I think it is a glorious thing that people and companies are proud to be in Detroit. When I first moved to NYC I would say "Michigan" when I was asked where I was from. Now, don't get me wrong, I am proud to be from Michigan and I love our whole state. But I made myself start answering "Detroit." Not Metro Detroit. Not suburban Detroit. Not the Detroit area. I am from Detroit. Long before our uptick began, I was proud to let people know where I was from, and I would engage them in conversations about the city and my intentions to move back. I used to think those "Stand Up and Tell 'Em You're From Detroit" commercials were hokey. Years later, I was that commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    While we are unlikely to land Amazon, I think it is a glorious thing that people and companies are proud to be in Detroit. When I first moved to NYC I would say "Michigan" when I was asked where I was from. Now, don't get me wrong, I am proud to be from Michigan and I love our whole state. But I made myself start answering "Detroit." Not Metro Detroit. Not suburban Detroit. Not the Detroit area. I am from Detroit. Long before our uptick began, I was proud to let people know where I was from, and I would engage them in conversations about the city and my intentions to move back. I used to think those "Stand Up and Tell 'Em You're From Detroit" commercials were hokey. Years later, I was that commercial.
    Living in LA for over 20 plus years I would tell people I'm Detroit and I would put up will all kinds of remarks. Now when I travel anywhere I say I'm from Detroit and the dialog has changed and everyone wants to know." so what's going on in Detroit and what's all this I'm hearing about the city coming back"?
    I work in residential real estate for the city, so once I get started people state, " WOW you really know a lot about the city and now I'm interested in the city".
    When I first moved back 6 years ago, locals would say, " why did you move back" now they don't say that anymore, now they say , "can you find me a place downtown" lol

Any thoughts ?
    Please stop talking about Amazon!

Living in LA for over 20 plus years I would tell people I'm Detroit and I would put up will all kinds of remarks. Now when I travel anywhere I say I'm from Detroit and the dialog has changed and everyone wants to know." so what's going on in Detroit and what's all this I'm hearing about the city coming back"?
    I work in residential real estate for the city, so once I get started people state, " WOW you really know a lot about the city and now I'm interested in the city".
    When I first moved back 6 years ago, locals would say, " why did you move back" now they don't say that anymore, now they say , "can you find me a place downtown" lol
    Oh man, exactly the same experience here. Been living downtown since 2007, while frequently working in LA. Between then and 2014 suburban Detroiters thought I was absolutely nuts for taking up residence in the city and literally laughed in my face. Now those same folks are emailing me about buying property downtown. People from NYC and LA that I work with are incredible curious about our city and even were a bit more ‘in the know’ about our comeback before suburban Detroiters caught on.

When I travel I always have and always will say I am from Detroit. Never messed with that beat around the bush crap. If you can’t say where you’re from proudly, or have to say some crap like “outside detroit,” then don’t even bother telling people. People living in Des Plains or Schaumburg usually just tell people they’re from Chicago, they don’t clarify it to make themselves sound more classy or disassociate themselves from the city... Only suburban Detroiters have this bizzarre insecurity about their home town. True, most Americans have preconceived notions of the city, but Europeans and younger people absolutely love Detroit and the culture and history here. Saying you’re from Detroit while in Paris or Berlin can get you some great access and really ingratiate you with the locals. To them, the rest of America is a boring wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Saying you’re from Detroit while in Paris or Berlin can get you some great access and really ingratiate you with the locals. To them, the rest of America is a boring wasteland.
    LOL, this is good stuff. All the Parisians are desperate to visit 7 Mile & Hayes, and think NYC and LA are boring wastelands.

You should write for the Chamber of Commerce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    LOL, this is good stuff. All the Parisians are desperate to visit 7 Mile & Hayes, and think NYC and LA are boring wastelands.

As someone who lives in Europe, I can assure you that being from Detroit is more interesting for people I meet than if I was from New York or LA which is... like... to be expected.

New York and LA are ordinary. It's what the world sees as "America." Detroit is extraordinary and mysterious. The reactions vary from shock to excitement, but usually, there will be some reaction beyond the "oh cool" you'd get by being from NY or LA.

I mean he isn't wrong. Sure LA and NYC offer the Euro tourist the typical American jaunt, but cities like Detroit, Chicago, or New Orleans are much more interesting and real.

Saying Euros "want" to visit 7 Mile and Hayes is like saying Yanks want to visit les banlieues. They might know it exists but know better that there are known places to visit like Motown, Fisher Building, or Eastern Market.

Personally speaking whenever I travel abroad I always represent the D wearing either my D tigers hat or a shirt of Jacket with Detroit on it.
    Never fails 99% of the time people chat me up about what is going on in the D.
    I tried to post a couple of pics but I couldn't get them to load :-[[

I’m from the suburbs but tell foreigners I’m from Detroit. Soon, I won’t be lying

Personally speaking whenever I travel abroad I always represent the D wearing either my D tigers hat or a shirt of Jacket with Detroit on it.
    Never fails 99% of the time people chat me up about what is going on in the D.
    I tried to post a couple of pics but I couldn't get them to load :-[[

Germans particularly admire Detroit. Japanese also.
    Gave a tour to a guy from out west a few weeks ago. We walked for hours through Downtown, Brush park and Greektown. He fell in love.

Oh, my I almost don't want to 'drive' down Hayes, no less making a stop on 7 and Hayes. Very sad... as it was once very nice over there. A friend owned a house on Hayes and had to almost give it away.

The Future Location of Amazon's HQ2 Is Perhaps More Obvious Than You Think
    Quotes are from the article...Bezos is unconventional at times and Detroit might have a better chance than many believe..even if we loose out keep in mind the sheer amount of collaboration between the counties, it's leaders and corporations and business leaders has been unprecedented. They have finally realized that Detroit actually is on a positive growth pattern and cooperation is essential for the entire region and the state to prosper.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2018/01/07/the-future-location-of-amazons-hq2-is-perhaps-more-obvious-than-readers-think/#80fdfe47c711

"...Speculation says Bezos will choose between Detroit and Pittsburgh. Each city has a well-developed airport, plus Detroit’s airport is a hub for is a hub for Delta. Detroit is near the University of Michigan and Michigan State...owing to the grand industrial past of each city, there are impressive museums and other cultural aspects that will appeal to the well-educated employee demographic Amazon seeks."
    "What’s important politically is that each city is better known for its past compared to the present. Getting right to the point, each city brings to mind “rust belt.” Crucial here is that the arrival of Amazon in either would quickly erase “rust belt” from any modern description. Bezos and Amazon have the potential to save a past monument to prosperity, and in doing so, Amazon would be further insulated from the jackals in Washington, D.C."

Last edited by detroitbob; January-12-18 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post

The Future Location of Amazon's HQ2 Is Perhaps More Obvious Than You Think
    Quotes are from the article...Bezos is unconventional at times and Detroit might have a better chance than many believe..even if we loose out keep in mind the sheer amount of collaboration between the counties, it's leaders and corporations and business leaders has been unprecedented. They have finally realized that Detroit actually is on a positive growth pattern and cooperation is essential for the entire region and the state to prosper.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2018/01/07/the-future-location-of-amazons-hq2-is-perhaps-more-obvious-than-readers-think/#80fdfe47c711

"...Speculation says Bezos will choose between Detroit and Pittsburgh. Each city has a well-developed airport, plus Detroit’s airport is a hub for is a hub for Delta. Detroit is near the University of Michigan and Michigan State...owing to the grand industrial past of each city, there are impressive museums and other cultural aspects that will appeal to the well-educated employee demographic Amazon seeks."
    "What’s important politically is that each city is better known for its past compared to the present. Getting right to the point, each city brings to mind “rust belt.” Crucial here is that the arrival of Amazon in either would quickly erase “rust belt” from any modern description. Bezos and Amazon have the potential to save a past monument to prosperity, and in doing so, Amazon would be further insulated from the jackals in Washington, D.C."

Good deed.