Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default China's contribution to the Detroit Auto Show

China is bringing its Trumpchi to the Detroit auto show,$25 to $30 grand with AWD and fully appointed it kinda puts a dent in the highly profitable US SUV market.

I can picture AJ sporting about in this beauty even though it was actualy named in 2010 the Chinese name has no relation to the currant president.

Sense the public is so interested in open trade and unfavorable tariffs I can imagine this will put a dent in US production,most will not care as long as they can save a few bucks.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...nverge-concept

They also showed their vehicles here last year. However, until they license or open a dealership, they aren't selling anything. They also need to certify that they meet US safety and Emission regulations. Something they haven't done up top now. The US had much tougher safety and Emissions tests than either Europe or China. It will drive up the costs of these vehicles.

I would be more worried about One of the current US/European Vehicle OEMs outsourcing current models to china and sending the the vehicles back.

Article on their issues from last year.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-with-an-suv

..... the name of this vehicle is a dealbreaker for me. But good luck to them, though. Open some factories in Detroit.

Hah! Trumpchi..... uh, no. When I purchase Asian cars I go with Toyota where I can walk into Autozone or O'Reillies for the parts as I can owning a Chevy. I can't do an esoteric newbie, hard to fix car without a strong track record of durability and safety. Remember YUGO...?

No way. China has a long way to go to get to that level. BUT, people felt that way about Kia out of south Korea. And their early cars were sorta, well... They were the brunt of many comedy skits and sitcoms. Now they make good cars and the parts are getting easy to find and afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ..... the name of this vehicle is a dealbreaker for me. But good luck to them, though. Open some factories in Detroit.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-09-18 at 06:09 PM.

People from other countries are talking about how the cars are delivered with unpainted inner wheel wells etc.So I guess they will not fair well in the northern states with salted roads or coastal.

The other link lists it at $14k so basically it will be like all of thier other products,buy it cheap,use it for a couple of years and then junk it for another.

Remember the Suzuki Samari had a plate on the firewall that clearly posted the life expectancy was not to exceed 50 thousand miles.

To the majority of the American public if it looks decent and it is cheap,they are sold.

Countries like Germany,China,Russia etc are very home based when it comes to vehicles and place high tariffs on imports to discourage outside sales,but when we propose that we are anti trade.