Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Deconstruction in Detroit

Any theories or ideas on why Mayor Duggan and the city haven't incorporated deconstruction into the huge Federally funding home razing effort? Or just the general demise of the idea?

Five years ago the idea seemed like a promising way to reuse and sell the quality old growth wood of Detroit homes and put unemployed residents to work. The Reclaim Detroit and Focus Hope partnership appeared to be working but then the huge warehouse fire at Reclaim Detroit obviously set it back. Now it seems like the idea is dead in the water.
    Last edited by DeLemur; January-08-18 at 03:20 PM.

Seems to me that would cost a fortune.

It does seem labor intensive. But old growth wood is probably twice as durable as lumber today.

The entire process of demolition in Detroit needs streamlining. The immense red tape involving property tax payments [[lack of), property ownership, judicial action, involves years of time.

Common sense for dilapidated run down rat shacks needs to prevail.
    The state has to streamline the abandoned ownership situation.

I've been trying to buy land lots on a specific street and can't get answers from the Land Bank. They are getting together a land lot calendar and that's about all. I would like to donate the land to a non-profit to build houses....and I've written a couple of non-profs, no reply. I don't know how the city can move forward if they're not responsive to simple requests.

get rid of the DEGC.

As stated, reclaiming materials from these houses would be enormously expensive. You would have to train people to essentially demo the houses by hand, while making sure they aren't being exposed to lead, mold, asbestos. Then it's going to take four times as long as a back hoe.

I would love to buy the old lumber but I wouldn't be able to afford it. It sucks that those materials, which cannot be replaced, are being wasted but...
    Last edited by Shai_Hulud; January-09-18 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Seems to me that would cost a fortune.
    BINGO ! You hit it right on the head !