Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: PotHoles 2018

Default PotHoles 2018

Warm spell, thaw freeze, rip out recent patches
    Countless crews patching lately, all to no IMPACT.

http://asphaltmagazine.com/preventin...vement-cracks/

Most pavement distresses can be related to the intrusion of water
    into the pavement structure. If water is kept out of the pavement,
    the majority of distresses can be stopped or delayed.

BOOM goes the rim, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM - pay out of pocket for repair $$$

You thought 2016/2017 was bad --- prepare for pain in the wallet !!!!!

East Jefferson between The Villages and Jefferson Chalmers is brutal this year. Another epic pothole park is the Lapeer Road ramp to SB I-75.

IF Michigan politicians were actually clever, they would replace sections of ancient underground pipes - when the roads where torn up for reconstruction. That's called intelligent infrastructure management and efficient use of resources, money, and time.
    Last edited by O3H; January-10-18 at 10:24 AM.

You should see Conner between the Ford to Jefferson. Every so many feet every seam of the road in has buckled in the center lane. This had to be weather related. Two weeks ago it was not like that.

Anyone else notice streets that have bucked horizontally at the seams?

Unlike the last few winters threads about Michigan's FUBAR roads there is:

Who will be able to turn the issue into votes in the Gubernatorial race this fall?

The Democrats will claim the last time they had any power around here the nations economy was in shambles so they had no money and are innocent.

What are the Republicans going to say? 'It is a election year now so we will pretend to give a damn when we clearly could have cared less before.' ?

It will be interesting...
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; January-09-18 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Anyone else notice streets that have bucked horizontally at the seams?
    Truly! It's like lump, lump, lump, lump, lump...

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Unlike the last few winters threads about Michigan's FUBAR roads there is:

Who will be able to turn the issue into votes in the Gubernatorial race this fall?
    You make a great argument for having elections in March.

A check, on perspective, on how "others" do it well

http://www.businessinsider.com/germa...are-no-tolls-8

http://www.worldhighways.com/categor...crete-surface/

AND....Germany gets snow/winter via the Alps Mountain chains
    It definitely has intense Truck Traffic, Germany shares borders with nine European countries, plenty of logistical transport of products everywhere.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Germany

Building good, solid, decent roads happens on purpose - not by chance.
    The USA sucks , hard, on true transportation, in a variety of forms.
    Last edited by O3H; January-10-18 at 10:33 AM.

Also consider, the millions of 18 wheelers that transport goods and services daily, in states that have cold temps and snow. They do their fair share of damage, regardless how good the roads are.

Stupidity rules here.

Low bidder, cheap engineering and no inspections of work = Shit job

'But, but... it is small Government and true capitalism at work!' Sure that is true but you get shoddy crap in return. All you have to do is open your eyes and look around at what we are paying for. Obviously tax payers in Michigan are getting screwed.

Roads are not rocket science. It does get cold in other places besides here believe it or not. That excuse is getting tired.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; January-10-18 at 09:25 PM.

O3H, I lived in Germany for 4 years, up until about 3 weeks ago. I will add to what is said in your links...

1. Many areas in Germany use alternatives to salt. In my small town they used a mix that included stuff like beet juice. It was supposed to be less harmful to the road because as opposed to salt which melts ice then it would freeze again later when the salt washes away, this liquid stuck to the road for a duration of time that weakened the freeze-thaw cycle.

2. German mass transit decreases roadway abuse. Germany's central location in Europe means there is more truck traffic than most other places. However having the most effective train and bus networks in Europe means that small towns of just 1,000 or less are connected to the biggest cities. So rush hour in urban areas does not lead to nearly as many cluttered roads as it does here. It means people use cars when they have no, not just because they can. With the price of gas [[see #3) cars are a secondary form of transportation for many people in developed regions.

3. Taxes. Germans pay lots of them. Paying significantly higher taxes means you get more out of them [[in theory). Road construction is non stop on the autobahn in the summer, especially in Bavaria to account for the harsh winter months. But Germans usually hold their politicians accountable for the spending of their tax money. What is ear-marked for roads gets spent on roads or people get voted out of office. We Americans tend to not pay close enough attention to where our money goes, and often times what should get spent on roads ends up spent on pork somewhere else.

Just my $0.02.

Quite true soldier. My family is from Germany, I visited a few times.
    My aunts, uncles, cousins lived and grew up there, are still there.

HEAVY trucks, steel production, etc. - that argument falls on its face.
    Germany, with annual production of almost 43 million tonnes of crude steel in 2014, is the world’s seventh-largest steel producer and the largest in the European Union. All that stuff gets moved around the nation, on those roads, with winter conditions, etc.

USA fails, on so many levels, to provide for its people, its laughable.
    Many foreigners laugh AT us, for being un-able to build good roads.

John R north of Long Lake [[18 Mile) in Troy is getting brutal, especially the bridge over the creek.

Does Macomb have an APP [[ oh yeah it's 911 via Hackel, remember) ?
    PLEASE don't let this dolt get near the State positions like governor....

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...oles/24720637/

Yeah! Conner is bad but that east bound 10 mile stretch between Northwestern and Southfield rd will loosen your dental work! When will that stretch ever be repaired?

It's thump, de-thump, and 'dodge' the pot hole swerve maneuvers all the way to Greenfield where it lets up a bit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Truly! It's like lump, lump, lump, lump, lump...

You make a great argument for having elections in March.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-13-18 at 06:32 AM.

The entrance ramp to I-375 N. from Lafayette is treacherous! Especially before or after sunrise/sunset, because the lights on the East side of the service drive are out. [[Mike, are you reading this?)

SALT - is not great for the roads or the environment, yet THOUSANDS of tons of it are poured upon Metro Detroit every single winter.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...h-america-spd/

Slowing down vehicular speed HELPS a tremendous amount in car control, and the impact, when you hit a pothole.

Innovate Mound is an initiative to rebuild one of the most important corridors in Southeast Michigan:

https://twitter.com/InnovateMound

https://youtu.be/bc6Zqkz9QdE

Just adding to the German notes...

When I spent some time there in the early nineties, I was impressed by the way they repaired their roads. No slopping tar and gravel patches that dirty your cars and kick up stones to crack your windshields--and have to be refilled a month later. Instead were almost seamless deep concrete patches that looked like they were cut out and filled by a surgeon.

There is also no tolerance for stupidity and inefficiency even if it means higher cost--which it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ...Instead were almost seamless deep concrete patches that looked like they were cut out and filled by a surgeon....
    I had to Google that. What I found was this story about an elderly German gentleman who voluntarily fills potholes somewhere in Thailand. There's a video of him on hands and knees carefully troweling the cement patch — like it was filled by a surgeon.

Civic-Minded German Fills Holes in Roads – and Hearts – of Buriram

In the meantime we have Warren officials in the midst of getting a federal grant for the section of Mound Road from I-696 to 14 Mile Road.

With all the bizzare gerrymandering, city boundaries, county boundaries, etc., etc. you can expect a patch-work quilt type pattern to emerge in Metro Detroit.

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/attach...8&d=1491064441

Let's add another pothole to the list.

Grand River heading West from I-94 to West Grand Blvd.

A DDOT bus ran over it this week.

No surprise that there's a lot of them on state roads.

And Grand River M-5 is a state road after all.

The media just hammering the point home

http://www.macombdaily.com/general-n...ty-of-potholes

When will society insist on shaming politicians for their LACK of attention, action, apathy, horrible record, lack of funding the perilous road issue !!