Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Indian Village

Default Indian Village

I am considering moving back to Detroit area and am very interested in Indian Village. What are your thoughts on Indian Village and the safety of living there?

2blocksaway Guest

nothing wrong with indian village except the high taxes.

try grosse pointe park. great old houses now affordable to most.

lower taxes than Detroit with school you can send your kid to.

There are amazing houses available there for very reasonable prices.

I love the neighborhood and homes within the village. I would plan on sending kids to private schools in Grosse Pointe, we have a while our son in one.

More concerned with surrounding area, everyone that I have spoken to that lives in the village say they love it, everyone that lives in the suburbs think we are crazy.
    My guess is that it is probably somewhere in between the two.

I would plan on sending kids to private schools in Grosse Pointe,
    There is a private school in Indian Village:

http://www.detroitwaldorf.com/

My guess is that it is probably somewhere in between the two.
    After 20+ years living in West Village and moving to the burbs last year, that is a realistic assessment.

LodgeDodger Guest

Indian Village is gorgeous. I love it. If I could convince betterhalf to buy in the Village, we'd be there in a sec.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Indian Village is gorgeous. I love it. If I could convince betterhalf to buy in the Village, we'd be there in a sec.
    ..but where would you buy groceries!?!

/sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by 2blocksaway View Post
    nothing wrong with indian village except the high taxes.

try grosse pointe park. great old houses now affordable to most.

lower taxes than Detroit with school you can send your kid to.
    Mill rate is about 20 mills higher in Detroit but I am willing to bet taxes on cmoparable houses will be significantly lower in Detroit. Property taxes are less an issue to consider compared with income taxes.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ..but where would you buy groceries!?!

/sarcasm.
    On my way home from one of the unsustainable suburbs...

There are two markets on Jefferson there, are they not viable? Harbortown Market and Indian Village Market.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    There are two markets on Jefferson there, are they not viable? Harbortown Market and Indian Village Market.
    Gaz was just giving me shit [[from the unsustainable thread)

2blocksaway,

After filing your NEZ form, one's effective total mil rate in Detroit [[county and city) is about 50 mills- equivalent to the ave. GP's mill rate of 45. Assessed values in Detroit are much lower on an equivalent square foot house than the burbs[[market value is lower per sq. foot). A tax appeal based on assessed value is the order of the day in any city with a new purchase or even a currently owned home. The NEZ and low assessed values[[with appeal) make Detroit's actual tax bills competitive. Newer cities and townships don't have legacy costs and often, large capital improvements to pay - YET. Their rates ave. 25-38 mills while older cities with many services and city owned structures and many retirees average 33-50 mills.

Private/charter/school of choice are a must in the city though. If you want top 5% education opportunities for your kids, I would recommend private school use in most suburbs too. There are 3-5 exceptions, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, the Grosse Pointes, Ann Arbor. Maybe Chippewa Valley, Troy and Utica schools....maybe. Check the meap scores for all the districts-they don't lie about the first 4 I mentioned.

Architecture and history should be just one of many things you are looking at. GPP would be much better if you have a family to raise.

Great school. My daughter just graduated from DWS

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    There is a private school in Indian Village:

http://www.detroitwaldorf.com/

I grew up in the Village [[and went to public school!), have lived on the eastside for all of the time I've spent in Detroit, and now live nearby. It is indeed a beautiful neighborhood, with good neighbors, a strong neighborhood association, and incredible houses that you couldn't get anywhere else in the country for anywhere near the price. Crime is a concern, to be sure, as it is in most big cities, and certain precautions must be taken that one probably wouldn't take in Birmingham. But the crime rate in that area and that part of town is lower than in most of the city, and there are parts of the Village that are somewhat less prone to crime than others. Now, of course, you should keep in mind these are older houses that require some serious maintenance and upkeep, so you have to go into that with your eyes open, but also remember what you paid for your beautiful old house. They won't make anymore like them.

I certainly survived living there with nary a scratch, as have thousands of others, and have great memories of the place. When I got older, my commute to work was literally 15 minutes or less. In all, for the housing stock, the cost, the proximity to the center of the city, and the diversity of the population, I would say it's hard to beat.

Check out the Villages website for more information about the Indian Village area.
    www.thevillagesofdetroit.org

Thanks for the info. I think we are going to try it. We submitted an offer on a great house on Burns.

Good for you, x97winkler, I'm jealous. IV is one of the most unique neighborhoods I've ever seen, especially given its proximity to downtown. I'm sure you got a hell of a good deal, too.

x97: Let us know what happens!