Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dr. Eder, Dentist

I salvaged this vintage door from an abandoned upstairs storefront on W Vernor Hwy near Holy Redeemer. Any recollection of Dr. Eder?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by sw_kid View Post
    I salvaged this vintage door from an abandoned upstairs storefront on W Vernor Hwy near Holy Redeemer. Any recollection of Dr. Eder?

No, but it night be a new career move for you.

How cool. I love those vintage hand-painted doors and stuff you see in old buildings. It took great skill and talent.

Welcome to Detroityes sw_kid!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-05-18 at 10:12 AM.

TY Zacha341! I’ve been creepin’ this site for years. I’m a native sw Detroiter, so I figured why not chime in once in a while. From the cheap seats of course...

Awe shucks -- you'll be be in the box seats in a minute! I'd love to see a close up of the lettering on that door. Could you shoot a closer photo?

I love traditionally painted signage. What with all the computerization this was unique art that conveyed info as well as beauty to be cherished and it is still being done in some circles....

See samples of traditional sign painting: https://tinyurl.com/y724kr47
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-05-18 at 10:58 AM.

Zooming in on the picture doesn’t do the door or Doc any justice. I shall take a closer picture of the lettering in my daily travels today and post later. The door is in GREAT shape btw.

An awesome find indeed! You can't find wood like that easily now.

I love it! What will you be doing with it? Keep or sell?

Found a guy Melvyn Eder, endodontist . For some reason I can't get the link to display; but from a quick look he followed his dad into the dental trade, lived on outer drive, went to UoM, U.S. army Captain Walter Reed. Moved his practice to Birmingham in '65.

he might be your guy. I would bet that his survivors would compensate you for the door.

I've had the door in my possession for about ten years now. As a junior hoarder I do feel somewhat attached to it, however, deep down I believe that fair is fair and it rightfully should go to the Eder familia.

There's also this, although you need to sign in to read all of it:

https://casetext.com/case/manser-v-eder

Where exactly was this dentist office? There used to be a lot of dentists above the bank on Junction/Vernor and also above Cunningham Drugs both on Junction/Vernor and Springwells/Vernor. There was a Dr's office on Vernor next to the HR gym, don't know if there were any dentists there. There was also a small medical bldg. next to the dime store that has been torn down for parking. Just curious.

I’m pretty sure that the dentist office would have been above the funeral home around the 5600 block of Vernor.

[attach]34881[/attach

Name:  F579049B-259E-4882-95C4-462EB6B283A8.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  52.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Found a guy Melvyn Eder, endodontist . For some reason I can't get the link to display; but from a quick look he followed his dad into the dental trade, lived on outer drive, went to UoM, U.S. army Captain Walter Reed. Moved his practice to Birmingham in '65.

he might be your guy. I would bet that his survivors would compensate you for the door.
    Maybe this guy?

http://www.endodonticassoc.com/wp-co...pring-2011.pdf

I’m pretty sure that the dentist office would have been above the funeral home around the 5600 block of Vernor.
    A dentist office above a funeral home? That must have given the kids nightmares!

I salvaged this vintage door from an abandoned upstairs storefront ...
    So eager to escape the building, it just followed you right down the hall without a bit of help, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    A dentist office above a funeral home? That must have given the kids nightmares!
    Hmmmm I wonder if the undertaker ever recycled the teeth of the dearly departed...

Is it me or were doors taller and not as wide as they are now? Keep us posted too should you find a family member of Dr. Eder.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Is it me or were doors taller and not as wide as they are now?
    Pre-ADA days, they might be 30 or 32 inch width.

Nice find regarding Dr. Melvyn Eder Maof.

Could this be his door?

Perhaps he took his practice off of Vernor Hwy into Oakland County in the mid 1960’s?

Default Dr. Eder door

I've had the door in my possession for about ten years now. As a junior hoarder I do feel somewhat attached to it, however, deep down I believe that fair is fair and it rightfully should go to the Eder familia.
    I was trying to find my father's old office address on Vernon when I came across this thread on a Google search. I am Dr. Eder's daughter. I can tell you all about him and the office. His name was Dr. Herbert Eder and his office was on W. Vernor. The building was a one story medical building for a physician named Dr. Hoffman, and my father had a smaller space within that office. The building also had a basement, and a garage that entered off the alley. My father had his office there from some time after WWII and left it some time in the late 70s. Melvyn Eder was his brother and an endodondist working in Birmingham. He could have had his office on Outer Drive at one time, but I don't know. I do know my father lived on Outer Drive in the early 50s. Their father was not a dentist. They are also not related to the Eder in the court case that was found here. My father was a captain in the army during WWII but was never at Walter Reed.

I did work in this office a little for my father, and more for the doctor, in the late 60s, early 70s. The neighborhood around his office was not great then. I remember the American Nazi party had an office across the street at one time. His patients were mostly Ford factory workers and others from the neighborhood. He had generations of patients from the same family. My father lived to almost 94 and died at the end of 2014. He would have been really amazed that you found and kept that door, as am I.

I will send this link to my 3 sisters, his other daughters. None of us live in Detroit, so I'm not certain that any one of us could or would take the door. Thank you for posting this and I'd be glad to answer any other questions you might have. Kikki Eder

^^^ The miracle of the internet. I just love when connections like that happen.

I agree. Hoping sw_kid sees this.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

Obviously pay no attention to this fool. He goes off half-cocked and loves jumping to contusions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast