Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Final mass at All Saints Church was today

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...oit/946910001/

The final mass was this morning at All Saints. It appears they are moving the parishioners to St. Gabriel, which is rather ordinary when compared to All Saints.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; December-31-17 at 01:53 PM.

Designed by Andrew R. Morison. All Saints Roman Catholic Church, 7824 West Fort Street built in 1925 Southwest Neighborhood, Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the church from the archives of the Detroit Historical Society, circa 1950's.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Sucks because I used to volunteer at their community kitchen/food pantry off and on from 2006-2014. I watched that place go through managers like Sister Aileen [[RIP), Denise Balog, and a certain woman who had ignored all my warnings about trouble-making, crackhead volunteers there.

I also miss working under Pat Foley who busted her tail to keep that pantry a smooth running operation, and sometimes, she was able to give me a ride back to Dearborn.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Sucks because I used to volunteer at their community kitchen/food pantry off and on from 2006-2014. I watched that place go through managers like Sister Aileen [[RIP), Denise Balog, and a certain woman who had ignored all my warnings about trouble-making, crackhead volunteers there.

I also miss working under Pat Foley who busted her tail to keep that pantry a smooth running operation, and sometimes, she was able to give me a ride back to Dearborn.

Can I ask you a question? What made you pick working @ All Saints over other charitable organizations?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-20-18 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Can I ask you a question? What made you pick working @ All Saints over other charitable organizations?
    Natural fermentation of sugars.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Natural fermentation of sugars.

I'm sure that was a big part of it, but that's quite a drive from where he lives. Being near Altar Road, there were other choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Had already been volunteering at St. Leo's on Grand River. Found certain things all too suspicious about it and found the manager unsavory....that and more than 3/4ths of the donations I was bringing [[many acquired from neighbors and estate/garage sale close-outs) were immediately being snagged up by volunteers with addresses before the clientele we serviced [[many without addresses) had a fair chance at them.

I had made many calls around 2006, and I remembered All Saints ran a pantry and community kitchen that suffered a fire around the time St. Leo's suffered an inside theft [[around Superbowl time, when police were harassing the homeless). Many other places didn't need donations or ran an operation where I couldn't just immediately put them out and folks could have at them easily.

Sister Aileen and Pat were cool, and I met exiles from St. Leo's who confirmed things we all witnessed with St. Leo's.[[which I now trust is under better management). If it meant be getting dropped off in the morning by a family member [[I was going through a stubborn anti-car bike phase for ten years-long before Detroit became "bike friendly".) and taking two buses and some walking on the way back, so be it.

Always found Catholic Charities at the top in all my travels.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Had already been volunteering at St. Leo's on Grand River. Found certain things all too suspicious about it and found the manager unsavory....that and more than 3/4ths of the donations I was bringing [[many acquired from neighbors and estate/garage sale close-outs) were immediately being snagged up by volunteers with addresses before the clientele we serviced [[many without addresses) had a fair chance at them.

I had made many calls around 2006, and I remembered All Saints ran a pantry and community kitchen that suffered a fire around the time St. Leo's suffered an inside theft [[around Superbowl time, when police were harassing the homeless). Many other places didn't need donations or ran an operation where I couldn't just immediately put them out and folks could have at them easily.

Sister Aileen and Pat were cool, and I met exiles from St. Leo's who confirmed things we all witnessed with St. Leo's.[[which I now trust is under better management). If it meant be getting dropped off in the morning by a family member [[I was going through a stubborn anti-car bike phase for ten years-long before Detroit became "bike friendly".) and taking two buses and some walking on the way back, so be it.

Always found Catholic Charities at the top in all my travels.

Ok, Thanx, G-DDT, I thought maybe you lived in that area before the crime forced most people to move. I think it's great you decided to make a charitable contribution back to the area.

Hell yeah, G-DDT!

Here is a pic I snapped back when [[you can see the tables we had for the folks there for meals, and the back table there is where donations of clothes, bags, and household goods were placed) https://i.imgur.com/4Vz3fco.jpg?1