Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One more from me.

Detroit will be nationally showcased in the media as the "comeback city of the century" with incorrect headlines like "after 50 years of downturn....".

Likely called "The Detroit Miracle"

1) Amazon does NOT select Detroit. Bezos knew where it was going from Day One.

2) Medical/recreational Marijuana passes as people see the mega-millions in taxes that Colorado and California make from it.

3) Nothing gets built in the Silverdome.

4) More Macomb County Corruption from former and current officials will be uncovered

5) The rumored buildings in front of Comerica park do not get built.

6) Detroit's MLS bid goes flat-- they get the team in 2022 if Gilbert wants to bid at the higher price [[rumored to be a $200 million entry fee)

7) Dead people/non-residents still vote across the cities/counties and states

What can i say... it's a start?
    Last edited by WildWolverine; January-02-18 at 05:05 PM. Reason: mispelled

Quote Originally Posted by WildWolverine View Post

Are they currently voting?

Well, how did everyone do?

Quote Originally Posted by WildWolverine View Post
    1) Amazon does NOT select Detroit. Bezos knew where it was going from Day One.

2) Medical/recreational Marijuana passes as people see the mega-millions in taxes that Colorado and California make from it.

3) Nothing gets built in the Silverdome.

4) More Macomb County Corruption from former and current officials will be uncovered

5) The rumored buildings in front of Comerica park do not get built.

6) Detroit's MLS bid goes flat-- they get the team in 2022 if Gilbert wants to bid at the higher price [[rumored to be a $200 million entry fee)

Not sure about 4) but otherwise you nailed it

My turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    And here we go:

1. Amazon surprises all of us and selects Detroit to host HQ2.
    2. [[Since I failed on this the past two years) Eastland closes.
    3. Pistons finish their first season in the LCA with a playoff appearance, but get eliminated in the first round; Red Wings in their first LCA season barely falter out of the playoff picture.
    4. With Caldwell driven out of town on a rail, the Lions improve on their 2017 record but barely make the wild-card.
    5. Tigers once again fail to make the playoffs for the fourth straight season, the biggest highlight being the longest losing streak in baseball history.
    6. Detroit lands an MLS expansion team to begin play by 2020.
    7. DDOT announces their own Fast lines along Jefferson to Jefferson-Chalmers, Grand River to Farmington and Fort Street to Trenton. SMART launches additional Fast lines along Telegraph and 12 Mile.
    8. Preliminary works begin to demolish the fairgrounds for the long-anticipated retail development planned for that location.
    9. The RTA slimly manages to place a rewritten Master Plan on August ballots, where it surprisingly passes even with the presence of SMART's own millage on those same ballots.
    10. Michigan's new governor makes promises on plans to repair damage to Flint done by the water crisis.
    Here's how I did...
    1. Detroit didn't even make the top 20 for HQ2 locations, which was ultimately split between DC and New York City.
    2. Once again, never happened, but it certainly is closer to that than a year ago, with Shopper's World as the only anchor left.
    3. Pistons never even made the playoffs, but I was correct on the Wings falling out of the picture.
    4. With Patricia at the helm, it went totally opposite of my prediction. They were indeed eliminated from contention in their loss to Buffalo [[of all teams).
    5. Half-correct: Tigers didn't have a losing streak that long this year, but they did again fail to make the playoffs.
    6. MLS did not select Detroit as a 2020 expansion site at all.
    7. Never happened, though with the high ridership and popularity of the initial Fast lines, who knows what's in store for 2019 onward...
    8. Again, never happened.
    9. A rewritten RTA Master Plan did not even make any of the ballots this year. Even with that, SMART's millage passed in each county-though by a razor-thin margin in Macomb.
    10. Perhaps Whitmer may go on with this? I'm not entirely sure...

2019 prediction thread coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    1. Ballot for paid sick days will come forward and be approved

2. Ballot for min. wage increase will come forward and be approved unless the legislature pre-empts. Either way, Mich. Min. wage will be $12USD or higher by 2022

3. Ballot on legalizing pot will come forward [[outcome uncertain)

4. RTA millage will be approved.

5. Michigan will tilt slightly leftward in the next election.

6. Ontario will tilt left as well, as even our 'conservatives' are running on a platform of expanding OHIP [[medicare, with dental for low-income seniors and additional drug coverage). Should a party further left win, there will be a material expansion of social programs in the near-term.

7. Windsor will acquire additional lands to add to the Ojibway Prarie Nature complex.

8. Windsor's downtown will show some new life as the U-Windsor opens new downtown campus buildings and new incentives from the City for downtown development kick in.

9. Windsor will increase public transit service noticeably including extension to adjacent communities. [[has already begun w/new service to LaSalle.

10. Gordie Howe bridge main contract will be awarded, and visible, heavy construction will be underway by year's end.
    1. yes [[via legislature preemption)
    2. yes [[via legislature preemption)

* did not foresee the sneaky lameduck gutting moves on both.

3. Did come forward, did pass I'll give me a yes on that.

4. Also a yes

5. Yes, Dem governor and slight shift in legislature

6. No........did not see Doug Ford coming at all.

7. Yes

8. Yes

9. Yes

10. Yes

I'm rather pleased! LOL More or less 9/10 give or take the lame duck business.

Best I've done on this sorta thing. Think I'll skip 2019 and quit while I'm ahead! LOL

Since I did fairly well in the 2018 version perhaps I should take 2019 off as well. I don’t often post in this awesome site, but I love to read everyone’s opinions and thoughts. Actually I’ll give it a shot 2019 thread here I come.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2