Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Metro Detroit-Windsor 2018 Predictions

For historical purposes, below are links to the previous new year prediction threads:

And here we go:

1. Amazon surprises all of us and selects Detroit to host HQ2.
    2. [[Since I failed on this the past two years) Eastland closes.
    3. Pistons finish their first season in the LCA with a playoff appearance, but get eliminated in the first round; Red Wings in their first LCA season barely falter out of the playoff picture.
    4. With Caldwell driven out of town on a rail, the Lions improve on their 2017 record but barely make the wild-card.
    5. Tigers once again fail to make the playoffs for the fourth straight season, the biggest highlight being the longest losing streak in baseball history.
    6. Detroit lands an MLS expansion team to begin play by 2020.
    7. DDOT announces their own Fast lines along Jefferson to Jefferson-Chalmers, Grand River to Farmington and Fort Street to Trenton. SMART launches additional Fast lines along Telegraph and 12 Mile.
    8. Preliminary works begin to demolish the fairgrounds for the long-anticipated retail development planned for that location.
    9. The RTA slimly manages to place a rewritten Master Plan on August ballots, where it surprisingly passes even with the presence of SMART's own millage on those same ballots.
    10. Michigan's new governor makes promises on plans to repair damage to Flint done by the water crisis.

Add your predictions!

Detroit does not get the Amazon bid
    The Detroit area continues to have a "problem" with blight
    Hart Plaza continues to decay and deteriorate
    The Port Authority fizzles out and dies
    Drinking water and sewage disposal rates climb higher
    The roads become nastier due to a hard winter deep freeze

In short a bleak, dark , reality check for many wishing upon "prosperity"

If your cup is half empty,pour it into a smaller cup and it becomes half full.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If your cup is half empty,pour it into a smaller cup and it becomes half full.
    What if you don't have a smaller cup?

^ Buy a 3D printer with next day shipping and make your own,you now have created a actual Made In America cup and can market it as such and nail down a gov supply contract making millions in the process.

See how easy that was to change it from half empty to half full?
    Last edited by Richard; December-31-17 at 12:27 PM.

I'll add to this as more come to mind.

1. Detroit is one of the finalist cities in the Amazon HQ2 bid. [[Ultimate winning city will be either in Canada, Detroit or Chicago, or the northeast corridor.)
    2. Eastland closes.
    3. Pressure grows to build a second Q Line along Michigan Avenue or Jefferson.
    4. Major hotel announced for the Book Tower.
    5. No one from the Conyers family wins John's seat.
    6. Economic slow down in the U.S. starts middle to late 2018. Effects on Detroit revival unclear.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ Buy a 3D printer with next day shipping and make your own,you now have created a actual Made In America cup and can market it as such and nail down a gov supply contract making millions in the process.

See how easy that was to change it from half empty to half full?
    What if you don't have the money to buy a 3D Printer?

Then you would have to find somebody that does and have them make a sample,use that sample to secure a contract,use the contract as leverage at the bank or private investor to get a advance to buy the printer and start production.

Detroit is a city that defines American resolve,no matter what happens in the future she will do what it takes in order to move forward,there will be distractors and those who wish to keep her down but she will keep getting back up and pushing forward.

No matter where you go there is no glass half empty for you,your from Detroit and better then that,so you are stuck with that and might as well embrace it.

I haven't met too many folks who are just raking in the dollars this decade.
    There are in effect, scratching, clawing, digging deep and hustling hard.
    In my opinion, that is not the sign of a hugely wonderful local economy.
    I won't sugar coat a harsh reality staring many directly in the face.
    My prediction - more of the same for quite some time.

1. A major corporation relocates its headquarters to Detroit, unless in unlikely case where Amazon does it first.

2. Gretchen Whitmer elected Governor, Republicans retain control of MI House and Senate.

3. The Tigers under Ron Gardenhire will have a respectable .500 season, led by Miggy returning to form, and end the year as team with a promising-looking future.

4. Sighting of driverless vehicles will become a growing buzz.

5. Coleman Young Jr. will run for and be elected to the vacated Conyers US Rep Seat.

This list from Crain's is food for thought on this topic.

1. Battle of the bridges
    The competition to build new border crossings is going to continue next year after Canadian approval for a new span at the Ambassador Bridge and continued work on the Gordie Howe International Bridge. Read more.
    2. MLS
    Major League Soccer was due to award up to two franchises before press time for this issue — but whether the group led by Dan Gilbert and Tom Gores is awarded a franchise or not, MLS will continue to be in the news. Readmore.
    2. MLS

3. Amazon HQ2
    Amazon's much-ballyhooed second headquarters sent cities into a scramble to win the project, which could come with up to 50,000 jobs. Read more.
    4. Hudson's site
    After a mid-December groundbreaking, shovels will be in the ground at the site of downtown Detroit's old Hudson's building, once one of the biggest department stores in the world. Readmore.
    5. Wayne State and the DMC
    Wayne State University's medical school and the Detroit Medical Center had a fraught relationship in 2017, and that's likely to continue in 2018. Read more.
    6. Trump's tax plan
    House and Senate Republicans reached a deal in mid-December on a reworking of the federal tax system, and it's likely to have a big impact on businesses. Read more.
    7. Race for governor
    Michigan will elect a new governor to replace the term-limited Rick Snyder in November. Readmore.
    8. The train station
    Matthew Moroun, whose family owns the long-empty Michigan Central Station in Detroit, got attention in September when he said before the Detroit Homecoming event that he'd like to see the station renovated and brought back to life — as a passenger train hub again. Read more.
    9. Taubman battle
    The shopping mall pioneer, founded by A. Alfred Taubman, will see a serious challenge to its founding family's control in 2018. Read more.
    10. New Ikea
    Fans of build-it-yourself furniture will be waiting to see where the Swedish home-goods retailer decides to put its next mammoth store, which would be its second in Southeast Michigan. Readmore.

I hope the ones that I add come true in 2018, and I'll add more later:

1. The RTA millage is approved by all members: Detroit, and the following counties: Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, and Washtenaw.

2. Plans for QLine Expansion is made public. [[Please place any future track in the middle of the road please. Signal Priority, highly recommended!)

3. A universal smart card is created to be used by all transit authorities in metro Detroit with mobile phone app support.

4. DDOT, DPM, SMART, and other transit authorities in the RTA will agree to upgrade their fareboxes to GenFare "Fast Fare". QLine already has one.

5. DDOT follows suit with its own "limited routes" as SMART runs theirs.

6. SMART millages are renewed in existing cities, while former SMART cities, after years without SMART services vote back their millages.

7. Michigan Central Depot is still under the Morouns, but they are restoring it, brick by brick.

8. MoGo's bike-sharing service expands further into the city.

9. Bike paths continue to be created around metro Detroit.

10. The demand for improved public transit in metro Detroit increases as auto insurance remains the highest in the nation.

1. Ballot for paid sick days will come forward and be approved

2. Ballot for min. wage increase will come forward and be approved unless the legislature pre-empts. Either way, Mich. Min. wage will be $12USD or higher by 2022

3. Ballot on legalizing pot will come forward [[outcome uncertain)

4. RTA millage will be approved.

5. Michigan will tilt slightly leftward in the next election.

6. Ontario will tilt left as well, as even our 'conservatives' are running on a platform of expanding OHIP [[medicare, with dental for low-income seniors and additional drug coverage). Should a party further left win, there will be a material expansion of social programs in the near-term.

7. Windsor will acquire additional lands to add to the Ojibway Prarie Nature complex.

8. Windsor's downtown will show some new life as the U-Windsor opens new downtown campus buildings and new incentives from the City for downtown development kick in.

9. Windsor will increase public transit service noticeably including extension to adjacent communities. [[has already begun w/new service to LaSalle.

10. Gordie Howe bridge main contract will be awarded, and visible, heavy construction will be underway by year's end.

I would predict that my expansion team of the Vegas Golden Knights make the playoffs, while the 'original six' member of the Detroit Red Wings don't break .500. No brainer. Happy new year, all you guys and gals.

2018 predictions:
    1- Despite previous promises, no redevelopment work actually happens at the United Artists Building or Hotel Fort Wayne.
    2- Work does finally begin on rehabbing the Eddystone, but only after a “deal” is reached where Olympia gets to tear down the structures between Henry and I-75 [[west of Cass) to create more “lanscaped” surface lots.
    3- Detroit is one of a several Amazon finalists, but ultimately is not selected.
    4- Ford Field is awarded a NCAA Final Four to be played between 2022-2025.
    5- The Hudson Block progresses forward, but the Monroe Block project is delayed, with the stated reason of working out what to do with the National Theatre Building.
    6- The decision is finally made to remove l I-375 in favor of a surface boulevard, to be built in like 2022 or something. MDOT also finally agrees to redo that goofy I-75 interchange by Eastern Market as part of the same project.
    7-MLS passes on Detroit in January for Cincinnati, but Detroit rebids in 2018 and is ultimately selected in the next round [[this selection may occur in 2019, but the bid is submitted in 2018).
    8- MSU Men’s basketball wins a NCAA title, becoming the bright spot in the sporting landscape, as the Pistons get bounced early in the playoffs, and Wings and Tigers miss the playoffs entirely.
    9- Whitmer is elected governor, and the Republicans push some major lame duck legislaton through at years end before a Democrat takes over. This includes a modest state income tax cut, and laws to eliminate pensions and switch to 401k for teachers, municipal employees, and police/fire departments.
    10- An Apple store finally opens on Woodward Avenue in time for the holidays, but the Cheesecake Factory remains elusive.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    I haven't met too many folks who are just raking in the dollars this decade.
    There are in effect, scratching, clawing, digging deep and hustling hard.
    In my opinion, that is not the sign of a hugely wonderful local economy.
    I won't sugar coat a harsh reality staring many directly in the face.
    My prediction - more of the same for quite some time.

That is the way it It has always been,retirees are not enjoying the good life because they sat around playing cards all day,they had to do that for years to enjoy the benefits.

There are no get rich quick solutions for the adverage person,it boils down to defining the difference between wants and needs how much somebody is willing to sacrifice and take the risk and loose it all which becomes harder when family comes into play.

Most people I know business wise are doing way better this year then the last five which does trickle down,but the country is like a big steam driven train,it takes a bit to get rolling.

2006 on were some harsh years for everybody,not so much because of an elected president but the country has always had a cycle of good times and bad,we are now on that starting up slide which seems to have a ten year span,hopefully that gives the city,its residents,and the country a chance to be on a more solid footing.

We all want to be able to flip that switch so it happens right now but it takes time and perseverance and lots of patience while not waiting for somebody else to make it happen.

1. Detroit will not be selected for a 2020 MLS expansion team, but will likely be selected in 2022 if it re-submits its bid.

2. Gilbert will break ground on the Monroe Block project by no later than the following Winter.

3. Detroit will make it to the short list of Amazon finalists, but ultimately Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Philadelphia will have the edge and one of these cities be selected [[mainly because of Detroit's lack of transit).

4. Eastland will close, but only if Burlington Coat Factory closes their Eastland location first.

5. Sears and Kmart will close more stores around Metro Detroit. The Oakland Mall location is most likely to be shuttered first.

6. Chick-Fil-A will launch their planned 20 store expansion across Metro Detroit [[Woo-Hoo! )

7. Flagstar Bank will announce they're relocating their HQ to the Hudson site skyscraper.

8. Gilbert will reveal his plans for the Uniroyal site.

9. Nashville will surpass Detroit in population.

10. Rite Aid stores in Detroit will be converted to Walgreens, as Rite Aid sells their locations and pulls out of the market.

11. Gilbert will reveal more details about the proposed Q-Line down Jefferson.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-01-18 at 12:32 PM.

The Lions will win eight or nine games.
    Flip a coin.

Opened my New Years' Day edition of the Las Vegas Review-Journal and found the sports books here don't give the Tigers much hope for 2018. Sigh.

Levis Strauss will announce opening a store next to Under Armour by early Summer.
    Eastland Mall closes permanently.
    Dan Gilbert sells Cavaliers then buys Pistons.
    Indictments are handed out for parking lot schemes.
    More Quinset Huts are constructed throughout runners down neighborhoods in Detroit.
    Imagine announces opening a theatre in Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    7. Flagstar Bank will announce they're relocating their HQ to the Hudson site skyscraper.
    A bank downtown again would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    10. Rite Aid stores in Detroit will be converted to Walgreens, as Rite Aid sells their locations and pulls out of the market.
    That would be good, too. Rite Aid is terrible.

My top 10 predictions [[wishlist)

1. Detroit gets Amazon [[Hudson)
    2. Amazon teams up with Lyft and a major auto co. to develop autonomous public transit
    3. Detroit wins MLS
    4. Eminent Domain laws become a major issue
    5. Failed Jail site announced to be a mixed use development
    6. Major grocery store announced for midtown on Woodward
    7. Hart Plaza plans revealed. Will contain a harbor
    8. Fords Highland Park site announced. Retooled for special vehicles [[autonomous)
    9. Major Asian auto co. announces presence in Detroit with NA headquarters downtown
    10. Urban farms spring up in dead zones

Predictions:
    1. Detroit wins the Amazon bid and moves into the MCS building

2. The Ambassador twin bridge gets built in a year and the Gordie Howe bridge will not for the next decade because of government corruption and spiraling cost projections like fail jail.

3. Michigan's next Governor will win by a landslide for following California's and New York's plan to raise the min. wage to $15/hr.

4. State and municipal taxes will rise significantly to subsidize companies moving to Detroit, corporate welfare, social housing, and high speed rail.

5. Gas tax increases and toll roads.

6. The Detroit Auto Show displays will suck even more than in previous years.
    Last edited by davewindsor; January-01-18 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post

6. The Detroit Auto Show displays will suck even more than in previous years.
    I hope they move the timing some day soon. I always lose vacation leading up to it. Besides, who wants to visit during this shit weather?

PS. I'm looking forward to the mid engine vette release.

Coldest weather = coolest cars at the Auto Show - every damn year

My 2018 predictions:

-2-3 announcements on new retailers joining the Woodward strip
    -Levi's, Uniqlo in "Hudson Tower", and a shoe store.
    -Announcement on Book Building tenants; A department store discount store and a hotel brand.
    -Announcement on one "Hudson Tower" corporate tenant.
    -With every ounce in his body, Overlord Patterson and his minion Hackel with their goons on the RTA board kill any RTA vote as his final act of aggression against this region before retiring in 2020. Quoted as saying, "You'll take away the disastrous power of the freeway from my cold, dead hands."
    -Detroit Club membership is full after those of the waiting list of the DAC join the Detroit Club.
    -The future of the Joe Louis is finalized. Prediction: demo with plan of a couple of residential towers to be connected to the old JLA People Mover stop.
    -City invites landscape architects from around the world to submit plans for a better Civic Center/Hart Plaza.
    -Amazon chooses Denver or Philadelphia as their HQ2.
    -Mack and Woodward development break ground; City Target is announced as major tenant.
    -Groundbreaking for residential buildings in front of CoPa on Woodward

"Unknown if possible" wishes:
    -Lot at Washington and Clifford the former site of the Empire Building is bought with plans of 10-15 floor residential bldg. with NO parking included.
    -Announcements of redevelopment of lots at Cass and Fort and Washington and Lafayette.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; January-02-18 at 10:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast