Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Phantom @ the Opera House

I'm going to Phantom of the Opera at the Opera House. Has anyone seen the large stage version which this is as opposed to the smaller stage version? Any differences?

Tarkus, I have not seen the large stage version. But it's hard to find a larger stage than that at the DOH. With over 7,500 sq. ft. of space, it is supposedly the largest stage in the midwest.

Interestingly enough the Nederlander folks [[who bring Broadway shows to Detroit) now count the 2,765 seat DOH as one of their venues [[besides the 2,089 seat Fisher and 451 seat Gem theatres).

I also wonder if this collaberation with DOH means that the planned expansion of the Fisher Theatre shell from 2,089 seats to 2,475 seats has been pernanently scrapped.

The origianl Fisher [[pre-1961) had 2,975 seats, and the new Fisher shell was shrunk down within the larger space to only about 2/3 of its' former size.

LodgeDodger Guest

I've hinted to betterhalf that I'd like to go.

The commercials are really sucky.

There are two versions. One is without the Andrew Lloyd Weber music score. Skip that one.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    There are two versions. One is without the Andrew Lloyd Weber music score. Skip that one.
    Which version is coming to Detroit? Is that the reason the commercial sucks--it's not the ALW version?

LodgeDodger Guest

Whew, that's a relief. I was worried a pair of ticket would show up. Then I'd be obligated to go. If it were sucky, I'd be snagging annoyed looks all night from betterhalf.

I don't know about the large stage version, but I saw it at the Fox and it was incredible! Enjoy, it's my all time favorite show.

I would really love to see it...but alas the funds are not there for hubby and I to go. I have never seen Phantom. I sure do love the music!

I've been thinking about the original question that Tarkus posed about "large" versus "smaller" stage version of Phantom...

... and I may be wrong here but... wasn't the large stage version the one that was for the venues that had Phantom for a year [[or years) at the same theatre? This would include a London [[West End) theatre, a New York City Broadway theatre, and Toronto's Pantages Theatre. Weren't these custom built stage sets for those theatres?

As for the smaller stage theatre production... weren't those only for the [[weeks at a location) "road show" productions, where the sets could be transported from site to site via moving vans?

If that is the case then the Phantom that was shown at the Masonic [[many years ago) and at the Fox [[later), and now at the Detroit Opera House... would all be the same stage show using the same trucked in stage props?

Or were there actually produced larger road show stage sets for theatres with larger stages?

I kinda doubt this... but have no facts to back me up.

In either case, the music would be the same....

The Phantom at the Detroit Opera House is the real deal. It's the Andrew Lloyd Webber version. NOT the traveling version that was at the Fox a number of years ago. This particular version last appeared at Masonic Temple in 2005. Outside the opera house today I saw about 2 dozen semis coming and going. They're going to have the infamous half-ton chandelier, too. It's not the typical "bus-and-truck" show. It's taking about 50 local stagehands to build the show and almost 2 weeks to put it all together. Should be amazing!

Thanks Radiants0ul... like I said I wasn't sure.... sounds awesome if it's the larger stage production that what was seen at Masonic many years ago.

What better place to show Phantom than in a real "world class" opera house!

It's just too bad that the Detroit Opera House... which also has the largest organ grilles in Detroit [[on either side of the stage), no longer has an organ to play some of the suitable music.... [[hint... hint... DTOS & MOT!).

There are basically two versions of the show, the "built in" version and the "truck and bus" touring version. London, New York and Toronto had the "Built in" version, everything else was the truck and bus version. Mrs. Packman and I saw it at Wharton Center when she was a student at Michigan State in '96 [[before she became Mrs. Packman), the truck and bus version was really quite good. I would like to have seen it in Toronto or New York to see the difference. The staging was quite impressive, the mark of ALW musicals--where the audience leaves the theatre humming the set.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks Radiants0ul... like I said I wasn't sure.... sounds awesome if it's the larger stage production that what was seen at Masonic many years ago.

What better place to show Phantom than in a real "world class" opera house!

It's just too bad that the Detroit Opera House... which also has the largest organ grilles in Detroit [[on either side of the stage), no longer has an organ to play some of the suitable music.... [[hint... hint... DTOS & MOT!).
    Gistok, point well taken, but traveling shows don't want to use anything they don't own or travel with, they want complete 100% repeatability in every venue, which a MIDI programmed and sequenced synthesizer gives them. Ersatz, but dead repeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Gistok, point well taken, but traveling shows don't want to use anything they don't own or travel with, they want complete 100% repeatability in every venue, which a MIDI programmed and sequenced synthesizer gives them. Ersatz, but dead repeatable.
    56packman... I missed you at the Fox during the theatre tours... it was just too hot that day [[the Filmore was not air conditioned).... so I went home afterwards.

But I did get to have lunch with Karen DiChiera... and mentioned that DTOS was looking for a new home for the Fisher organ. She sounded receptive, and wanted me to EMAIL her and David with more details. But since I'm not a member of DTOS, I had none.

Is DTOS still looking to move the Fisher organ from the Senate? A move to the DOH would be a match made in heaven [[and keep the organ within the city)... especially since the unique 4/34 Fisher Organ can play similar to a church organ.

One of the drawbacks to a move to DOH would be the location of the organ console would be an impediment to the orchestra pit. Couldn't the organ console be put into a fixed position up in the balcony, such as the slave console at the Fox?

And although the organ grilles at the DOH are large enough... is there enough space in the [[former) organ chambers that used to house the Publix 1 Wurlitzer?

56packman... EMAIL me....
    Last edited by Gistok; August-27-09 at 02:57 PM.

All the talk peaked my curiosity so I looked it up. It does appear the traveling version ALW version is the same one I saw at the Fox back around 1992. If you go to the link for facts, it will give some information regarding the stage and the props that are used.

Anyone have discounted tickets for this? Maybe student tickets? My girlfriend really wants to go.

-Tahleel

lilpup Guest

Gistok, chambers can really be built anywhere they'll fit. My mom's old church got the Rose Terrace organ [[one of the largest in the state) and just built everything to fit. Two chambers were in the front of the sanctuary and two more behind the balcony.

The church sold the building and moved elsewhere a number of years ago. I have no idea what the church they sold to has done with the organ. My mom sure missed playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Gistok, chambers can really be built anywhere they'll fit. My mom's old church got the Rose Terrace organ [[one of the largest in the state) and just built everything to fit. Two chambers were in the front of the sanctuary and two more behind the balcony.

The church sold the building and moved elsewhere a number of years ago. I have no idea what the church they sold to has done with the organ. My mom sure missed playing it.
    Yes, I just had a private conversation with 56packman, and you are correct. Ironically the old organ in the theatre [[a Publix 1 Wurlitzer in what was then called the Broadway Capitol Theatre) was not the largest organ in Detroit, but it had the best sound. This is due to good acoustics and the positioning of the organ grilles, which are massive. The same organ was also built into the State [[Fillmore) Theatre, but the sound was poor, because it didn't have the superior acoustics and grilles that the Capitol did.

Ironically because several of the Fisher brothers were accomplished church organists, they commissioned a unique organ for the old Fisher Theatre that had the technical attributes of a church organ, as well as a theatre organ.

Me and my girlfriend saw this last night. It was a full house. I saw the Phantom in New York back in the last 90s/early 2000s. One thing that bothered me was the employees of the DOH allowed people to come in during the show. It ruined parts of it for people like us who bothered to come earlier, as they kept getting in our way. Good show overall, I would definitely recommend it.

-Tahleel

and Toronto's Pantages Theatre. Weren't these custom built stage sets for those theatres?
    yes the Pantages Theatre was purpose built for PoO...

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    yes the Pantages Theatre was purpose built for PoO...
    Almost Ltdave... the Pantages Theatre was "gloriously restored" for PoO... those old [[and incessant) Toronto commercials are still ringing in my brain...

For those who can't make to to DOH for the play, maybe an alternative would be to go see the silent film tomorrow [[Sunday 9/13 at 4pm) at the Detroit Film Theatre. Live music provided by the Alloy Orchestra.

Haven't been to the DFT in a few years--hopefully the seats are more comfy.