Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bill Bonds' Daughter Kristine is Running for Congress

Bill Bonds' Daughter Kristine is Running for Congress As A Republican

Anchor Bill Bonds, one of the most memorable TV figures in the Detroit TV market over the decades, passed away in December 2014 at age 82. Now, his daughter Kristine Bond of West Bloomfield is using her dad's popular name in hopes of boosting her chances of winning an election.

Bond this week announced her candidacy for Congress as Republican for the 14th Congressional district for 2018, and has launched a website that lauds the recent tax reform legislation signed into law by President Donald Trump. Democrat Brenda Lawrence, the former Southfield mayor, currently holds the seat.
    The writing across the top half of the campaign website says: "LIke father, like daughter," and includes separate photos of Kristina and dad, side-by-side.
    The website also includes the statements:
    Michigan voters were just given A LOT of money back via our historic tax cut. Plus- we are now off the hook for being forced to buy Obamacare. YAY!!!
    Why then do we have a Rep in Congress who VOTED AGAINST BOTH? I will keep our prosperity agenda rolling with a Republican rubber stamp!
    Why not BONDS - Why not NOW?
    Bonds was beloved by many viewers. But his daughter's stance on the issues may not win all those folks over.
    Her husband, Greg Swan, CEO of Detroit Digital Advertising in downtown Detroit, posted this on Facebook on Thursday:
    It’s happening. Kristine Bonds is officially running for Congress. We announced 10 minutes ago and booked a TV interview for next week 5 minutes ago. Can she win? Is her fresh perspective newness, her famous dad’s name and her personal distain for higher taxes enough?
    Bonds did not immediately respond to an email from Deadline Detroit seeking comment.
    The 14th Congressional District stretches from eastern Detroit to Farmington Hills, then north to Pontiac.
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/19016/bill_bonds_daughter_kristine_is_running_for_congre ss_as_a_republican?utm_source=feedburner&utm_mediu m=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DeadlineDetroit+%28Dea dline+Detroit%29
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kristine Bond associated with State 911 administration
    Association of Public Safety Communications Officials [[APCO)

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...S_608529_7.pdf

Sounds like a right wing hack.

That's the first time ever I've seen someone refer to themselves as a "rubber stamp" as if it were a good thing.

It's commonly used as a pejorative describing someone who is redundant, unnecessary, and without any original ideas.

So, in disbelief, I checked her website and sure enough, she's running as a rubber stamp.

Wouldn't an actual rubber stamp perform the same job at a lower cost?

"Why not BONDS - Why not NOW?"

Ya' just told us Sugah! For 'Rump = against good sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That's the first time ever I've seen someone refer to themselves as a "rubber stamp" as if it were a good thing.

It's commonly used as a pejorative describing someone who is redundant, unnecessary, and without any original ideas.

So, in disbelief, I checked her website and sure enough, she's running as a rubber stamp.

How about running as a rubber band instead? "If elected, I'll keep things together..." The other connotation of rubber stamp is being repetitive without giving it much thought.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-30-17 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Could be a great campaign .... for the other side.

Attachment 34833

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Could be a great campaign .... for the other side.

Attachment 34833
    Someone's going to steal your graphic. That's really too funny and effective not to use in a real campaign.

New version if anybody wants to pass it on to the Incumbent.

Attachment 34834

What are her qualifications other than she's "Bill Bonds' daughter?" Her website doesn't say, but it sure does play up the fact that Bill Bonds was her dad. In fact that's pretty much all her website does is play on the local celebrity of her father.

She's the white woman Republican version of Joel Loving. "Vote for me because my dad was locally-famous! I share 50% of the DNA of someone you've heard of, elect me!"

Perhaps her husband has a magic trick up his sleeve.
    Her husband, Greg Swan, is CEO of Detroit Digital Advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Perhaps her husband has a magic trick up his sleeve.
    Her husband, Greg Swan, is CEO of Detroit Digital Advertising.
    If he agreed with her calling herself a”rubber stamp” I don’t think I’d want him working on my advertising.

The Republicans can put anybody up, competent or not, in the 14th, but they won't win. That's a specifically gerrymandered district to gather up a large chunk of Democrats, from Pontiac to Melvindale, into a single district.

Her LinkedIn page wasn't very detailed. She claims to have studied at Lansing Community College and Baker College [[no degrees listed for either) and that she's currently studying business at Northwood University. Her job experience seems to consist of having been a "legal assistant" for 24 years.

Not to besmirch her modest resume, but there's nothing in there that makes her stand out in any way from 90% of the other working stiffs in Michigan, none of whom are asking to be put in a position where they want to write our laws.

For someone with a very modest resume - how does she fund campaign ?
    https://www.mylife.com/kristine-bond/e64000339290
    Last edited by O3H; January-02-18 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    For someone with a very modest resume - how does she fund campaign ?
    https://www.mylife.com/kristine-bond/e64000339290
    Her campaign at the moment consists of a rather sparse website. Cost of a domain name on GoDaddy, probably like $10 for a year.

Anyways, I imagine she probably inherited a good chunk of money when Bill Bonds died and her husband is CEO of a Detroit-area digital advertising company, so they probably have some money to burn on political adventurism.

But still, even if she threw a million bucks at this campaign, all she really has to sell herself on is "I'm Bill Bonds' daughter" and "I love Donald Trump." I don't think that latter part is really a big selling point these days.

I have a tendency to lean towards females running for office, if IMHO the run is a tossup, the female would likely get my vote.

That said, knowing she is Bond's daughter, AND using that to curry favor, it certainly wouldn't curry my favor. In my world, she'd be better off running as Swan.

Aside from anything else, does anybody really think invoking THAT name is a positive? As I recall, he was kind of a buffoon and not overly respected or admired.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Aside from anything else, does anybody really think invoking THAT name is a positive? As I recall, he was kind of a buffoon and not overly respected or admired.
    Not to mention the fact that the name "Bill Bonds" probably carries no weight with anyone under the age of 40.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Not to mention the fact that the name "Bill Bonds" probably carries no weight with anyone under the age of 40.
    When it comes to elections, it's the old people that always vote that matter most. That's why Jim Fouts enjoys HUGE victories at every election in Warren.

You do have a point though that for younger voters, how ever much we count, that this name doesn't mean too much to us. I'm 34 and my memory of Bill Bonds is that he was controversial, I think a drunk, and involved with local Detroit television news.

I really hope people stop electing people based off of celebrity. We've elected some REALLY dumb people because of this. From Charles Pugh locally to Donald Trump in the White House, celebrity politicians bite us in the ass.

I can already tell that I wouldn't vote for Ms. Bonds if I were to live in her district.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    When it comes to elections, it's the old people that always vote that matter most. That's why Jim Fouts enjoys HUGE victories at every election in Warren.
    Do old people around here even care about Bill Bonds? Was he that beloved a figure? Like you said, he's kind of remembered for being an alcoholic news man who did some Gardner White commercials later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Do old people around here even care about Bill Bonds? Was he that beloved a figure? Like you said, he's kind of remembered for being an alcoholic news man who did some Gardner White commercials later in life.

Bonds was a big fish in a small pond. Successful in Detroit, he attempted brief stints at KABC Los Angeles & WABC New York, but they both showed him the door. Since he couldn't cut it in the majors, he retreated back to his hometown.

His outspoken "My opinion should be revered . .I'm an expert on all things Detroit---because I'm a lifelong Detroiter" schtick either appealed or repelled. It was partially motivated & emboldened by local jingoism . . . . but mostly because of the reality that no other TV market liked or wanted him.
    Last edited by Onthe405; January-03-18 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Bonds was a big fish in a small pond. After brief stints at KABC Los Angeles & WABC New York, they both showed him the door. Since he couldn't cut it in the majors, he retreated back to Detroit--the origin of his initial success.

His outspoken "My opinion should be revered . .because I'm a lifelong Detroiter" schtick was partially motivated & emboldened by local jingoism . . but mostly because of the reality that no other TV market liked or wanted him.
    There are maybe 3 or 4 million reasons to dislike Bill Bonds, but not hitting the national stage ain't one of them.

It sounds like you are just too-cool-for-school; or someone who wants to come off as so sophisticated that that you only bathe in Vichy water.

You can hate him for being a drunk, a failed catholic, a toupee wearer, a terrible bore, a bully, having girlfriends, not having girlfriends, being school friends with Mike Ilitch, going into the aluminum siding business with ilitch, hatching iffy business deals at Toms Tavern ...

Pick one of those, at least you won't come off as an effete elite.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    There are maybe 3 or 4 million reasons to dislike Bill Bonds, but not hitting the national stage ain't one of them.

It sounds like you are just too-cool-for-school; or someone who wants to come off as so sophisticated that that you only bathe in Vichy water.

You can hate him for being a drunk, a failed catholic, a toupee wearer, a terrible bore, a bully, having girlfriends, not having girlfriends, being school friends with Mike Ilitch, going into the aluminum siding business with ilitch, hatching iffy business deals at Toms Tavern ...

Pick one of those, at least you won't come off as an effete elite.
    LMAO!! I must admit, I had to look it up:
    http://torontosun.com/2016/11/06/how...1-408bd6f1dcb9