Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lustron Steel Homes

Has anyone ever seen or been in one of these? Not sure if I like them or not.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/12/2...-park-for-sale

There are some Luston steel homes in Madison WI. Search for "Luston steel homes Madison WI" on Google images. One sold for $242,000 recently. " ---- St., Madison, WI is a single family home that contains 1,217 sq ft and was built in 1951. It contains 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. This home last sold for $242,000 in May 2017." -Zillow

That isn't expensive in Madison. Last year's taxes on it were $4,043 based on a $179,000 assessment.

I recall seeing a thread on this subject here [[or in the previous incarnation of DetroitYES!) some time ago. It might be worth a search attempt.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-27-17 at 07:55 PM.

Interesting comments in the Wiki about the demise or the company and the comparisons to Tucker. Basically postulating that it was a political hatchet job instigated by traditional home builders.

There are other versions of the concept though, even in my own mind, never having heard of this company before. My plan was to someday build a house using more in the way of commercial construction with steel studs and rafters/trusses. Pictures of these seem to show wood rafters and trusses.

Metal roofs on homes are common here and the manufacturers make panels for vertical use. Most normal uses for those are for commercial and agricultural buildings. Though most common panels are formed from flat sheet rolls in common ribbed styles and cut to length on demand, there are some stamped steel architectural panels that look like stone or brick and roof panels that look like tiles or shingles.

The articles mention steel/aluminum framed windows and doors which was my plan also.

They also mention durability, low maintenance and resistant to weather. Those were my goals. I wanted something that for the most part would eliminate most risks from wind and fire and was nearly maintenance-free.

Never was able to make it happen though.

There's an almost completely intact lustron on Ashland street east off of Jefferson. It backs to the canal and is a fine example Lustronious living.

Yes, I have been inside and it is quite small, has almost no closet space, no air conditioning, no basement.

It is all steel. Enameled steel. Including the windows and doors. No vestibule. I don't know if I can fully imagine how cold it is today in that home. It is 4° Fahrenheit with a pretty brisk wind and that thing is sitting on a concrete slab a hundred yards from the wind tunnel that is the Detroit river.

I was inside another one in Urbana Ohio but it had been heavily modified by some trailer-park engineer with a chainsaw, some vice grips and a big roll of duct tape.

There are a few Lustrons up it Oak Park and maybe Madison Heights... if memory serves.

There is a guy who runs a mid-century modern antique store up in Sylan Lake called Studio 50's. He is a type of expert on Lustron homes and the story; I think his dad was the accountant for the place.

1. I should have read the supplied link so as to not duplicate information.
    2. Studio 50's is/was in Keego Harbor not Sylvan Lake
    3. Studio 50's is closed, permanently.

I was probably remembering the Sears Homes In Detroit thread. "Lustron" was found in a few other threads too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I was probably remembering the Sears Homes In Detroit thread. "Lustron" was found in a few other threads too.
    Yes. I found that one and there was mention of the Lustron homes in that thread. There is a google image of the one on Ashland.

Hmm, kinda cool. I wonder what those walls feel like to the touch in the winter? Cold? I've spent time in a log home and during the fall/ winter and IMO those logs radiated cold/ cool to the touch no matter what temp of the thermostat.

Also, are there options for facing the interior walls in the steel homes at this level to remove the steel section lines?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-31-17 at 12:52 PM.

Brrrr G! That house has got to be cold! Add a floor to ceiling sliding door and it's over. Sleep in sleeping bag. My heat bill would be sky high trying to heat that house in that location. Forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Yes, I have been inside and it is quite small, has almost no closet space, no air conditioning, no basement.

It is all steel. Enameled steel. Including the windows and doors. No vestibule. I don't know if I can fully imagine how cold it is today in that home. It is 4° Fahrenheit with a pretty brisk wind and that thing is sitting on a concrete slab a hundred yards from the wind tunnel that is the Detroit river.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Brrrr G! That house has got to be cold! Add a floor to ceiling sliding door and it's over. Sleep in sleeping bag. My heat bill would be sky high trying to heat that house in that location. Forget it.

I think you'd look good in enameled steel, Zacha341.

Awe shucks, HT you always say the sweetest things ----!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-30-17 at 09:32 AM.

Interior steel walls wouldn't be cool.

Errrr, wait a minute .....

In July, whip up a batch of cookie dough, and just let it sit on the kitchen table. You'll have cookies in about an hour.

^^^ Or conversely right now an ice cube tray fulla' water on the counter for instant ice cubes!

So if it needs repair do you hire a carpenter or a body shop?

I wonder how they would hold up in a salt air environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So if it needs repair do you hire a carpenter or a body shop?

I wonder how they would hold up in a salt air environment.

I think I saw one in a used car lot next to a scrapyard. There was a fuzzy handwritten poster on it that said: 500$: it's a steal. Couldn't make out whether the second vowel was an e or an a.

I definitely would not want steel interior walls and ceilings. I do too much tinkering and renovations. Drywall mud or plaster are OK, not into Bondo work

Outer walls, roof and frame would be fine as noted above but there would have to be a lot of insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hmm, kinda cool. I wonder what those walls feel like to the touch in the winter? Cold? I've spent time in a log home and during the fall/ winter and IMO those logs radiated cold/ cool to the touch no matter what temp of the thermostat.

Also, are there options for facing the interior walls in the steel homes at this level to remove the steel section lines?
    Not a good idea to see if your tongue would stick to the wall either in winter....

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Not a good idea to see if your tongue would stick to the wall either in winter....

What if someone double-dog dares you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeJXYhdfR6Q
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-02-18 at 08:55 AM.

Imagine if the scrappers found out you lived in a metal house,come home one day and there would be a pile of shingles and some furniture left.

The metal diners were pretty cool,there is still one in operation in the city I live in,horrible part of town but some really good food with a two hour wait Sunday mornings.

That's cool,It sounds like it was sold to somebody that will respect and preserve it,which is a good thing.