Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Barnes and Noble Closing

Barns and Noble will that is on Mack and Morross will be closing in January. The store was slated to close in February but it appear that the owner want them out now. I wonder if there is another location in that area that Barnes and Noble could open? The manager had said that the store was doing good business in that location. It is still in Detroit but bordering Grosse Pointe. I would love to see it on the Eastside of Detroit just across from Grosse Pointe. There is already one on the Wayne State campus but keep college hours and not open on Sundays.

The chain is downsizing [[thank you Amazon!) but as the last big bookseller they may be able to hang on with about half their current stores in the long run. They opened a few concept stores with expensive cafes attached this year. I wouldn't hold out hope for this store re-opening.

I could see them reopening in the Pointes, or adjascent to them... there's a large well-to-do market in the area. Books is one of those things that [[unless you are looking for a specific book) people like to browse and see what's inside. You can't get that with Amazon. I've been to that Pointe Plaza store dozens of times. The sell a lot more things now than just books.

I do wonder why St. John [[owner of Pointe Plaza) wanted them out of there? There have been a lot of stores in that strip that closed in the past, and been closed for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I do wonder why St. John [[owner of Pointe Plaza) wanted them out of there? There have been a lot of stores in that strip that closed in the past, and been closed for some time.
    Because St. John needs more space for offices. They'll probably revamp the entire plaza into office space.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Because St. John needs more space for offices. They'll probably revamp the entire plaza into office space.
    St. John Hospital: Big Booo!

Barnes & Noble is by far the best reason to go to Pointe Plaza.

Glad they're looking to re-open in some other location nearby.

I miss the Borders that used to exist in the Village too.
    Last edited by bust; December-27-17 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    St. John Hospital: Big Booo!

Barnes & Noble is by far the best reason to go to Pointe Plaza.

Glad they're looking to re-open will open somewhere nearby
    I miss the Borders that used to exist in the Village too.
    Where did you hear that Barnes and Noble is planning to open somewhere nearby

I could see them reopening in the Pointes, or adjascent to them... there's a large well-to-do market in the area. Books is one of those things that [[unless you are looking for a specific book) people like to browse and see what's inside. You can't get that with Amazon. I've been to that Pointe Plaza store dozens of times. The sell a lot more things now than just books.

They got a better deal from Better Health Market. The store will be moving from their current location on Mack to the former B&N space.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    They got a better deal from Better Health Market. The store will be moving from their current location on Mack to the former B&N space.
    With a GNC, a Rite-Aid, and now the Better Health Market... the plaza sounds a bit top heavy in the health market... but then it is a medical center next door. I wonder if the GNC will be a casualty of this move. I personally no longer see a reason to make a special trip down to this plaza. I do hope that B&N find a new GP location.

what is Better Health Market?

Ugh... GNC would never be missed imo. Too bad about B and N as it speaks to the continued demise of brick and mortar book stores.

I wonder if the GNC will be a casualty of this move.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-28-17 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Where did you hear that Barnes and Noble is planning to open somewhere nearby
    Sorry, here's the source. But the operative word is "looking" not "planning" at this point.

Grosse Pointe Woods Barnes & Noble to close
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ose/808098001/

I wonder what building on the Detroit side of Mack near Morross that could house Barnes and Noble. Is there a former dealership or dealership repair facility that is on Mack that could be converted into a bookstore? It has to be in an area where it will be supported so anyplace bordering Grosse Pointe, St Clair Shores, Harper Woods or inside Harper Woods would be great locations. I would not suggest Easpointe/Detroit border for that would be a high risk area

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Ugh... GNC would never be missed imo. Too bad about B and N as it speaks to the continued demise of brick and mortar book stores.
    Have worked at a few health stores.

Can confirm-GNC does suck.

is the store still open for now? are there good sales?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I wonder what building on the Detroit side of Mack near Morross that could house Barnes and Noble. Is there a former dealership or dealership repair facility that is on Mack that could be converted into a bookstore? It has to be in an area where it will be supported so anyplace bordering Grosse Pointe, St Clair Shores, Harper Woods or inside Harper Woods would be great locations. I would not suggest Easpointe/Detroit border for that would be a high risk area
    The former dealership that is now Village Hardware would work. That hardware store needs to be put out of its misery.

Right! I often hear stories of someone dropping a benjamin large of money @ GNC on a bunch of vitamins etc. Take them for a few weeks, nothing happens and then their done with the concept of health, vitamins, nutrients etc.

I always think sustainable cost. It takes months of commitment to see results and I have to be able to go the long haul. Not just a big spend, waste of time!

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Have worked at a few health stores.

Can confirm-GNC does suck.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-21-18 at 07:36 PM.