Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Pistons Experience at LCA

Went to my first Pistons game last night at LCA and was amazed at the sensory overload. How have other people's experiences been seeing the Pistons there?

Music is played during the entire game, screens are everywhere flashing something, t-shirts are flying and there are 50 different dancers ready to put on a little mini-performance at any break. I can't remember 2 seconds of just basketball, hearing the players shoes on the hardtop or just a pause of anything.

A couple even got engaged in the row behind us with the help of 5 Pistons workers and half my party didn't even see it with the distracting circus going on. Am I getting old? Is this the regular NBA experience? Anyone else want to better see the sport?

Pretty much speaks for all pro sports except baseball. So far, anyway. I am old. They can take all the hoo-ha and cram it, IMHO.

Kinda felt that way at the Wings game. Sensory overload nowadays at every turn. It’s too much for the human body!

Games at The Palace were no different. Music every moment of the game has been the norm in the NBA for at least 20 years.

I actually find the Pistons experience at LCA better than the Wings experience right now. It may be because they are much more competitive right now though. I'm a hockey guy first and always, so getting me to admit I enjoy basketball, especially the NBA variety is shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    I can't remember 2 seconds of just basketball, hearing the players shoes on the hardtop or just a pause of anything.
    Another reason why I love Indy Car racing. There's nothing that can possible distract you from the cars on the track. The racing action is everything.

Living in the Toronto area, about 10-15 yrs. ago I would go to 1-2 Raptor games per year. The constant contests and announcements ON TOP of the dance music was insane so I stopped going. The avg. age of fans in Toronto appears to be in their 20's and they seem to love it. I noticed a few years ago it was gradually getting to be the same at Pistons games. I figured part of it was to compensate for a bad product on the court. I have no idea how anybody could have season tickets and sit down to that 2 nights a week after a day at the office. You can count me in the getting old group but I know as a serious fan I've always hated it. You can't talk to the person next to you. It's worse than being at a loud bar.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Living in the Toronto area, about 10-15 yrs. ago I would go to 1-2 Raptor games per year. The constant contests and announcements ON TOP of the dance music was insane so I stopped going. The avg. age of fans in Toronto appears to be in their 20's and they seem to love it. I noticed a few years ago it was gradually getting to be the same at Pistons games. I figured part of it was to compensate for a bad product on the court. I have no idea how anybody could have season tickets and sit down to that 2 nights a week after a day at the office. You can count me in the getting old group but I know as a serious fan I've always hated it. You can't talk to the person next to you. It's worse than being at a loud bar.
    I am a purist too. Went to the college basketball doubleheader and thoroughly enjoyed both games. There was definitely plenty of distractions pregame and during the countless time outs, but I loved that during game play I could actually enjoy basketball. Call me old, but I guess that is part of why I love college basketball but just can’t get into the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Pretty much speaks for all pro sports except baseball. So far, anyway. I am old. They can take all the hoo-ha and cram it, IMHO.
    I agree without hesitation....... enough of the crap!....I'm there to see the game!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Games at The Palace were no different. Music every moment of the game has been the norm in the NBA for at least 20 years.

I actually find the Pistons experience at LCA better than the Wings experience right now. It may be because they are much more competitive right now though. I'm a hockey guy first and always, so getting me to admit I enjoy basketball, especially the NBA variety is shocking.
    I'm just the opposite. I'd rather watch College and Pro Basketball and Football than Hockey. Never saw the interest.

I grew up on college hockey, basketball, and football in East Lansing. The commercialized NHL and NBA are relatively new to me. But I see them for what they are. I certainly prefer the purity of the college games, but the talent level of the professional athletes overpowers the side shows of the professional sports for me.

I guess everyone sees things differently.

I went to the Pistons game this past Saturday against the San Antonio Spurs. I was amazed at the playing of music and sound effects during the actual playing of the game. I always thought these things only took place during timeouts and other breaks in the action. If I was a player, I would be seriously bothered by the music playing and sound effects during the game. Just because they make millions as an athelete, NBA players shouldn't have to put up with this. I wonder what the players' union has to say about the distractions? If it's be going on for years like someone said earlier on this thread, then I guess the union and players are ok with this. I know I wouldn't.

The Knicks tried a "throwback night" with no music and the players didn't like it.

The Knicks didn't play music for an entire half of a game, and the players hated it

I think there is a middle ground to be found here, but I would be careful wishing for complete silence.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    The Knicks tried a "throwback night" with no music and the players didn't like it.

The Knicks didn't play music for an entire half of a game, and the players hated it

I think there is a middle ground to be found here, but I would be careful wishing for complete silence.
    Not the first time I've heard Draymond Green go on a tirade about being disrespected. What an idiot. Also, the video clip is shown during a timeout.
    The answer, as you say, is a happy medium. Play the music loud during some timeouts, a little less so during others. When the game is on, play some rhythmic music when the ball is being brought up the court or your team is on defense, but generally have the music off so you can hear the play.

They had no music during the whole first half and multiple players from both teams complained it messed up their rhythm.

I wish they would use the organ during Pistons games at the LCA. Atlanta has Sir Foster, who not only plays the classic sports organ songs, but also the latest hip-hop/pop music. People absolutely love him there. It's a shame we have that cool organ up there collecting dust during Pistons games. Get an organist who knows some Drake and Cardi B songs and people will love it, and reduce the need to pipe in the same 10 songs while play is going on. Best of both worlds. Even my dad can enjoy the organ version of Bodak Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    They had no music during the whole first half and multiple players from both teams complained it messed up their rhythm.

I wish they would use the organ during Pistons games at the LCA. Atlanta has Sir Foster, who not only plays the classic sports organ songs, but also the latest hip-hop/pop music. People absolutely love him there. It's a shame we have that cool organ up there collecting dust during Pistons games. Get an organist who knows some Drake and Cardi B songs and people will love it, and reduce the need to pipe in the same 10 songs while play is going on. Best of both worlds. Even my dad can enjoy the organ version of Bodak Yellow.
    That's a good idea. They'd have to be complimentary to Mason.

I haven't been to a game yet but every time I turn on the TV and see a game being played there, especially a Wings game, it seems like the place is exceptionally bright. Is it that way in person? Seems like you're watching a game inside of an Operating Room.

Yes, LCA is very bright for Hockey games. It's very nice. The new lighting is much nicer than the old outdated lighting at the Joe.

The new center ice TV screen is also very bright with an exceptionally clear picture. The cameras and TVs are much higher resolution than what's broadcast. [[Hopefully they'll start broadcasting in 4k or higher resolutions.)

The music played during the games is not loud. I didn't find it distracting. I like the arena quite a lot but the upper deck is really steep and high up. I sat in the front row and felt pretty far from the action. These tickets were not cheap either. No wonder the place looks half empty many nights- it's pretty expensive even in the "cheap" seats.

Hah! Since I don't much care for sports then maybe I'd like all the hoopla!

I did like the outdoors feel of baseball the few times I went to a game [[original Tigers stadium and C. Park).

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

what's the minimum for parking in one of the nearby lots? How many does Olympia control?