Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Hold on! Italian grammar experts needed!!!!

Regular header seen on "DetroitYES"......right? But it begs a question: "Is not 'Cannoli' already plural"? Why is the 'S' added? How can you not forget the immortal line in "The Godfather"......."Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."

Hey, Happy Holidays to all you DetroitYES'ers from this old copper now in Las Vegas!

I found this in a Wikipedium:
    The Italian singular is cannolo [[in the Sicilian language cannolu), meaning "little tube" but in English, cannoli is usually used as a singular, and cannolo is rare.

Originated from my grandparents [[both sides) region of Sicily. Never, ever did I hear them use the singular term. It was always cannoli. Most likely because there was always trays, upon trays of them made ever year.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Originated from my grandparents [[both sides) region of Sicily. Never, ever did I hear them use the singular term. It was always cannoli. Most likely because there was always trays, upon trays of them made ever year.
    And like a good potato chip, you can only eat one?

It should be noted that Italian has much, much looser grammatical rules than any other major Western language. Spellings and colloquialisms vary tremendously town to town, region to region. In other words: don't stress the Italian. It's all molto bene.

I too descend from the place of cannoli origin. "Cannolis" is a mistake made sometimes in English, never in Italian. As to the singular form let's look to latin grammar. It follows that the singular form of cannoli is cannolus. Likewise, next time you want only one, ask for a paninus.
    Last edited by bust; December-26-17 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    And like a good potato chip, you can only eat one?
    hah! That's why i like the small ones. This justifies eating two.

The best cannolus is stuffed to order with ricotta so fresh, and barely sweet:

Name:  dy_cannoli.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  16.3 KB

This humble bar [[the Sicilian definition of the term) also serves a great paninus:

Name:  dy_panini.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  29.3 KB

Combine these with a macchiato [[the Italian definition of the term): what an incredible breakfast!
    Last edited by bust; December-26-17 at 07:00 PM.