Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default NYT expose on rampant culture of sexual harassment at Ford plants

Story focuses on two plants in Chicago, but I can't imagine it's any different for the ones here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...arassment.html

Just some really skin-crawling awful stuff in there.

“The union has got an impossible job,”
    The union has a simple job. Protect their workers. Doesn't matter from whom the threat is coming from. Looks like it's failing.

Maybe it's time to allow workers to choose another union? The UAW is looking pretty lame-duck right now.

This isn't really a new thing. It's been happening forever.

It's nice that it's getting attention though.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Right. This started happening in the late 60's and early 70's when women were being hired in at plants, and i agree there is no place for it.

Getting a little tired of this shit. Ladies, if you're done wrong, kick 'em in the nuts and get over it.

Harassment in general is and always has been rampant in the factory. The down and outs brought their high school mentality along. small people talk about people. Why is this news?

I spent my summers and holiday breaks working in a factory [[shipping and assembly) and on all shifts, $13/hr for an 18 yr old - 15 years back was too good to pass up. Sure as hell motivated me to get through college though.

You expected to get shit and expected to dish shit.
    Last edited by hybridy; December-22-17 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Getting a little tired of this shit. Ladies, if you're done wrong, kick 'em in the nuts and get over it.
    Uhhhh. That’s pretty much the whole fucking point Ray.

A kick in the balls is not always a option when how you make a living is on the line.

What would have happened to your career if you gave the Mayor or the Chief of Police a good hard kick in the nuts?
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; December-22-17 at 09:13 PM.

Yes, 'plant' life is deep on so many levels. Have friends and family who worked in the big three plants, which have varied total sub-culture-social clusters you can get into or not, but the drama is all about you.

The women I've known who worked long term in that setting especially in the 90's were very formidable, to keep bull crap up off them.

At the extreme ends of some plant life, ala extra-marital romantic shannigans, I've heard the terms "plant wife" and "plant husband" applied ---- !

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Last edited by Zacha341; December-23-17 at 08:02 PM.

Best fix yet!!

If you're getting tired of this shit, then maybe direct your messaging at men and tell them to stop harassing women instead of telling women to get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    If you're getting tired of this shit, then maybe direct your messaging at men and tell them to stop harassing women instead of telling women to get over it.
    Women want equality so stand up for yourselves! Survival of the fittest. Nature’s oldest rule. This latest crap is ridiculous in the aspect most of these accusations happened years ago. If it bothered you so bad you should have said something then. Now it’s bandwagon mentality.
    I see this as the lefts latest ploy for votes...

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Women want equality so stand up for yourselves! Survival of the fittest. Nature’s oldest rule. This latest crap is ridiculous in the aspect most of these accusations happened years ago. If it bothered you so bad you should have said something then. Now it’s bandwagon mentality.
    I see this as the lefts latest ploy for votes...
    Oh good another guy who has no idea what power dynamics are. So when women are only making 79 cents on the dollar to men where does their leverage come from? Or is that their fault as well?

And yes, it is a ploy from the left, which is why this all started with conservative women at Fox News.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Oh good another guy who has no idea what power dynamics are. So when women are only making 79 cents on the dollar to men where does their leverage come from? Or is that their fault as well?

And yes, it is a ploy from the left, which is why this all started with conservative women at Fox News.
    If conservatives want to write off 51% of the voting population, then let them. Worked out so well for them in Alabama, after all.

Men like One Shot are the ones who are doing the harassing, so of course they'll victim-blame. I wonder how many women One Shot has harassed and assaulted over the years???