Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit's New Year's Ball Drop Moving to Beacon Park

I dunno... I think there is something to be said for the more dramatic setting on Detroit's historic gathering point amid the skyscrapers. This is like taking NYC's drop out of Times Square. Thoughts?

“The Drop” — formally known as DTE Energy’s Motor City NYE Presented by Quicken Loans — is moving from Campus Martius to Beacon Park located at Grand River and Cass avenues, event producers say.

“Well I think that Beacon Park will be the home of the ‘D’ Drop because as they continue to build more and more downtown in that heart of the area right there, it’s just going to make it smaller and smaller area to do things,” said Matt Flynn, executive producer of “The Drop."

Full Article

hmm.. I wonder how much it costs this year?

I guess if the promoters want to make more money, there you go.. So good luck to all who participate.

I thought it was a free event. sponsored by DTE, Why wouldn't they want it in the park they just built.

Nero Guest

Here is the contact information for The D Drop for those who are as appalled as Nero.

Phone: 313.355.0413
    Email: info@motorcitynye.com

Campus Martius Park, Cadillac Square, and the Lafayette Garden Park are bigger than New York's Time Square. Is not the drop at the termination point of several main roads that people could watch from? Is not the whole point to have a ball drop in a place with an urban feel. Why are they moving it to ethereal plane of parking lots?

Nero is confused by this misguided folly. Nero attended every year since year one. Now Nero's tradition is broken. Now Nero will not attend. Is this what happens when Nero believes in those who parade renaissance?

"OH GREAT SPIRIT OF MIKE ILITCH, HOW YOU HAUNT THESE STREETS. IN LIFE YOU MADE RICHES FROM THE CAESAR'S NAME. IN DEATH YOU ENCOURAGE FOLLY THROUGH THE PARKING LOTS YOU ACQUIRED. WOE! WOE! WOE TO THEE WHO SUPPORT THESE PARKING LOTS!"

Nero buys three dozen tickets to the Motor City D Drop every year. Nero justifies this over other parties by promoting the atmosphere of a big city drop. Nero wins every year.

Nero will not win this year. This year, Nero will not be celebrating New Year's Eve in Detroit.

Edit: The move probably has something to do with the shops staying open until February.
    Last edited by Nero; December-25-17 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Contact info added

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    Here is the contact information for The D Drop for those who are as appalled as Nero.

Phone: 313.355.0413
    Email: info@motorcitynye.com

Campus Martius Park, Cadillac Square, and the Lafayette Garden Park are bigger than New York's Time Square. Is not the drop at the termination point of several main roads that people could watch from? Is not the whole point to have a ball drop in a place with an urban feel. Why are they moving it to ethereal plane of parking lots?

Nero is confused by this misguided folly. Nero attended every year since year one. Now Nero's tradition is broken. Now Nero will not attend. Is this what happens when Nero believes in those who parade renaissance?

"OH GREAT SPIRIT OF MIKE ILITCH, HOW YOU HAUNT THESE STREETS. IN LIFE YOU MADE RICHES FROM THE CAESAR'S NAME. IN DEATH YOU ENCOURAGE FOLLY THROUGH THE PARKING LOTS YOU ACQUIRED. WOE! WOE! WOE TO THEE WHO SUPPORT THESE PARKING LOTS!"

Nero buys three dozen tickets to the Motor City D Drop every year. Nero justifies this over other parties by promoting the atmosphere of a big city drop. Nero wins every year.

Nero will not win this year. This year, Nero will not be celebrating New Year's Eve in Detroit.

Edit: The move probably has something to do with the shops staying open until February.
    Nero really liked Jimmy from Seinfeld.

Nero decided he was his role model.

ABetterDetroit is getting upset!
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; December-25-17 at 07:28 PM.

Nero Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Nero really liked Jimmy from Seinfeld.

Nero decided he was his role model.

ABetterDetroit is getting upset!
    Vellem nescire literas.

^^^ I wish I were too [[literate that is)......

Doesn't DTE essentially bankroll the event? If so it's not surprising that they're moving it to their own facility, both for costs and branding. And it is believable that they could fit a lot more people in an around Beacon Park than Campus Martius.

If only there were a large plaza downtown that was designed for large public events, and which is underutilized in the winter...

But I agree, it's probably because DTE wanted to put it in their own park. I appreciate DTE sponsoring the event and I appreciate DTE building the park, but I do think an event like that belongs in Campus Martius or Hart Plaza or some other civicly symbolic place.

I said the same thing. Where the rink and the tree is seems the best spot. But I get wanting to show off your new place.

Nero Guest

Hart Plaza is too risky because there is nothing to block the cold winds coming in from the river. The weather is an enigma that cannot be relied upon.

Now, if the ball were to drop on top of a grand building, like the glass DTE Building, or even the Leland, or especially the GAR Building, Nero might feel differently. A ball drop on the turrets of the GAR Building dazzle's Nero's imagination. That would restore the urban "feel" that otherwise would not be present in Beacon Park. Maybe Beacon Park is okay if they were to do it like that.

The event organizers in Detroit are aiming too low. SHOOT FOR THE MOON DETROITERS! For you will atleast land amongst the stars.

DTE could make all this happen. DTE could make Beacon Park, Detroit's Times Square. Nero does not know if DTE is up for the task.
    Last edited by Nero; December-26-17 at 08:44 PM. Reason: grammar

Do you speak in third person in your day to day life?

Nero Guest

Default The Age of Jabba

Nero went through ALL of the archives before posting. Nero was delighted by the delectable philosophical readings and scripture. Nero is a spirit of whom has MANY contributions to share with the people of Detroit. Nero needs filters to weed out the unworthy and the ignorant. If you can not see beyond the veil, then you are never going to win the prize. Learn to control yourself and your words. Life is a dance. As is this forum. As is the cities of Michigan.

Nero is dancing up a plan to become a tenant in one of Gilbert the Great's grand new towers! Nero believes it is called The Hudson???

Nero is planning on living in The Hudson. This is Nero's dream, dream, dream. Nero needs a place to hang his fiddle while in Detroit. Rest assured that history usually does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme. Have you read the archives? Hail back to the Age of Jabba. And can you dig it? If this makes no sense to you then you are outside of our Detroit art and cultural sphere.

Nero makes Nero's contributions, does no harm, does not post excessively, and then Nero goes away. If you do not like Nero, you can skip over Nero's posts. The problem has been solved!

And remember, Nero means you no harm! Nero does not write for the masses. Nero writes for the creatives, the imagineers, the resilient, and the open minded. The tangibles will live on through these scriptures. This site needs more tangible people.

As for the ball drop, Nero believes that the ball should be dropped high atop the new Hudson Tower once it is completed.

Cheers!

Qualis artifex pereo
    Last edited by Nero; December-27-17 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Added Picture

Jimmy is dancing up a plan.

Jimmy is worthy and intelligent.

Jimmy is creative.

Shit, sorry you are pretty funny. I keep picturing the look on Sienfelds face when Jimmy talks...

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    Hart Plaza is too risky because there is nothing to block the cold winds coming in from the river. The weather is an enigma that cannot be relied upon.

Now, if the ball were to drop on top of a grand building, like the glass DTE Building, or even the Leland, or especially the GAR Building, Nero might feel differently. A ball drop on the turrets of the GAR Building dazzle's Nero's imagination. That would restore the urban "feel" that otherwise would not be present in Beacon Park. Maybe Beacon Park is okay if they were to do it like that.

The event organizers in Detroit are aiming too low. SHOOT FOR THE MOON DETROITERS! For you will atleast land amongst the stars.

DTE could make all this happen. DTE could make Beacon Park, Detroit's Times Square. Nero does not know if DTE is up for the task.
    Detroit had a Time Square. It is where the Ross Parks Transit Center located

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    hmm.. I wonder how much it costs this year?

I guess if the promoters want to make more money, there you go.. So good luck to all who participate.

Yeah, I think they dropped the ball on this one.

Nero Guest

Nero didn't attend. How do we see it online?

This should have been simulcast!

Nero, Nero, Nero!

Maybe that is why Nero is here; to make sure you don't !@#$ up the festivities?
    Last edited by Nero; December-31-17 at 11:20 PM.

Nero Guest

Name:  636503458256615295-DFP-ball-drop-9-sw-2.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  11.6 KB

Soon this needs to be moved atop The Hudson.