Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New 2017 Images on Google Maps

Just scrolling on Google Maps to see something and noticed they updated some downtown to 2017!

-1417 Woodward makeover [[Bonobos)
    -Book Building makeover
    -Capitol Park shops
    -Shinola Hotel work underway
    -QLine

Not all of downtown is 2017 yet, those are the changes I have noticed as of now.

If you click "Street View" you can see it progress from 2008
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  84.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    If you click "Street View" you can see it progress from 2008
    That's cool. You can do the same thing to see the demise and rebirth of the Capital Park Building here.

When will they update aerial though? LCA hasn't even broken ground on their maps from overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    When will they update aerial though? LCA hasn't even broken ground on their maps from overhead.
    You're referring to the 3D aerials, which were indeed taken before LCA even broke ground. Switch to 2D aerials and a nearly-complete LCA becomes visible.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    You're referring to the 3D aerials, which were indeed taken before LCA even broke ground. Switch to 2D aerials and a nearly-complete LCA becomes visible.
    So on my mobile Google Maps app you are correct. But the desktop version still has the neighborhood still pretty much intact.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    So on my mobile Google Maps app you are correct. But the desktop version still has the neighborhood still pretty much intact.
    I concur that.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    That's cool. You can do the same thing to see the demise and rebirth of the Capital Park Building here.
    very nice. so what's to become of the 1133 Griswold portion of the building [[red granite façade)?
    street view

page 88 shows 'Bill Hahn' as the owner
    http://www.investdetroit.com/sites/d...t_Strategy.pdf
    Last edited by hybridy; December-19-17 at 12:13 PM.

Wow, I wonder how much is still there under the red granite. This is the Albert Kahn-designed 1133 Griswold - the former United Savings Bank building from Virtual Motor City. p69rrh51 posted an in-depth history here.

That granite, what a shame. Imagine every building that way.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Wow, I wonder how much is still there under the red granite. This is the Albert Kahn-designed 1133 Griswold - the former United Savings Bank building from Virtual Motor City. p69rrh51 posted an in-depth history here.

Thanks for the picture! I had asked in a couple threads if anyone had a pic of what this building used to look like! Pro tip, if you stand right under the wooden slats on either side of the marble you can see the original windows and facia. The extreme angle doesn't lend itself to many details though unfortunately.