Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Illitches announce another new development, behind Eddystone

Temple street behind the Eddystone hotel, parking in the back, residential/office/retail mixed use on the street front

http://www.dailydetroit.com/2017/12/...ily+Detroit%29

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post

Temple street behind the Eddystone hotel, parking in the back, residential/office/retail mixed use on the street front

I have no doubt the garage portion will get built on time. However, don't hold your breath on the residential/office portion getting completed soon.

Would love to be proven wrong, but could totally see a "plaza" space reserved for this future development where the residential/office space is "planned". I think mixed used development was also "planned" for the frontage of the new garage just built on the northwest corner of Comerica Park. Still waiting for that portion of the development to get completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I have no doubt the garage portion will get built on time. However, don't hold your breath on the residential/office portion getting completed soon.

Would love to be proven wrong, but could totally see a "plaza" space reserved for this future development where the residential/office space is "planned". I think mixed used development was also "planned" for the frontage of the new garage just built on the northwest corner of Comerica Park. Still waiting for that portion of the development to get completed.
    That is incorrect since the time of the development it has been clear that there was no plans for a retail component or otherwise. The parking garage next to the arena however does have the unfinished shell of a mixed use apartment building already built. Plans were to resume work on that building in early 2018. The building is called "One 11 West"

As someone who has visited LCA on a night that there was a Tigers' game plus events at the Fox and Fillmore, I can say that an aesthetically pleasing parking garage is welcome. [[I like the new garage by Comerica).

And as a number of posters indicated in the past, that location is ideal for a parking garage. I think one quote was that it 'screams' for a parking garage.

I have an Olympia parking map [[because I bought tickets online to a LCA event) and I can tell folks that 700+ parking spaces take up a lot of land if it is surface parking.
    Last edited by emu steve; December-14-17 at 05:55 PM.

Things are starting to move at LCA [[office space) and immediate area.

As announced last week, more than 200 Red Wings, Olympia, etc. employees moved into their LCA offices. Nearly 100 Google employees are next. According to the article below, that will completely fill office space in LCA buildings.

Later in 2018 will be WSU school of business.

http://www.districtdetroit.com/news/...-caesars-arena
    Last edited by emu steve; December-14-17 at 05:27 AM.

Nero Guest

Another grand skyscraper index project perhaps?

The District Detroit is going to be parking garages, far as the eye can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    The District Detroit is going to be parking garages, far as the eye can see.
    Not a bad thing, when one thinks out of the box or like a freshman taking intro econ.

Comerica was built. Ford Field was built. LCA has been completed.

So we now need to determine the X number of parking spaces based on these venues. The only question is what it is the best way to provide them, whatever the number is.

Say 5 parking garages with much fewer surface lots?

Maybe 3 parking garages with more surface lots?

Presumably every time a parking garage [[say 700+ spaces) is built that reduces the need for that number of surface parking spaces.

At that point, surface parking lot spaces should be reduced in price or cease to exist and be re-purposed.

The best way to see surface parking lots go away is to have them replaced by a better parking modality [[underground, garage, etc.) or heaven forbid, public transportation. [[e.g., does anyone in NYC drive to Madison Square Garden or Yankee Stadium? [both are on subway lines]).
    Last edited by emu steve; December-14-17 at 03:23 PM.

Two other thoughts:

1). With the school of business and new housing nearby [[e.g., Eddystone, Alhambra, Hotel American, etc), more parking is needed.

2). A parking garage on Temple would be ideal for drivers wishing to head west on Temple toward the Lodge [[for example) or head north on Cass or Woodward. Hopefully those drivers would not mingle with drivers from other garages which are close to say the Fisher or those who wish to head south.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Two other thoughts:

1). With the school of business and new housing nearby [[e.g., Eddystone, Alhambra, Hotel American, etc), more parking is needed.

2). A parking garage on Temple would be ideal for drivers wishing to head west on Temple toward the Lodge [[for example) or head north on Cass or Woodward. Hopefully those drivers would not mingle with drivers from other garages which are close to say the Fisher or those who wish to head south.

I don’t have a problem with this garage being built in the proposed location. I actually am totally okay with Olympia’s overall proposal as shown in the rendering. What I am waiting for though is a bait-and-switch where only the garage gets built and the accompanying residential/office portion gets “put on [[indefinite) hold”.

We learned a long time ago that if you build garages, that it is important to have street level uses on the ground floor as part of the project. “Wrapping” other development around the garage, as Olympia is proposing is even better. So again, I support this project. I just am skeptical as to whether or not the non-garage portion will actually get built.

Agree with your points, Atticus, and I have seen a lot of sports venues, parking garages, multi-family housing, etc. and they seem to be much, much more intelligently designed and purposed today than in the past.

I have a friend who lives near the Nationals' ball park in D.C. About 1/2 mile away is a multi-family apartment building, with a ground level Whole Foods, and two levels of parking for Whole Foods plus parking for the residents. It is nearly completed.

http://www.jdland.com/dc/800nj.cfm
    Last edited by emu steve; December-14-17 at 05:09 PM.

When Comerica was being built, I recall Mike Ilitch saying that he wouldn't have much of his own parking around the stadium because he wanted people to walk around more and investigate downtown. To his credit, that is ecactly what happened,, and what I think contributed a bit to the further growth downtown we see today.
    People need to get out of their cars and ser the city at a walkers pace. It brings a connection that doesn't exist from a car.

Quote Originally Posted by waz View Post
    When Comerica was being built, I recall Mike Ilitch saying that he wouldn't have much of his own parking around the stadium because he wanted people to walk around more and investigate downtown. To his credit, that is ecactly what happened,, and what I think contributed a bit to the further growth downtown we see today.
    People need to get out of their cars and ser the city at a walkers pace. It brings a connection that doesn't exist from a car.
    So they park in surface lots that are a blight to the urban fabric of Downtown? Yeah, really great.

Quote Originally Posted by waz View Post
    As I'm sure most know, I don't live in S.E. MI, but I saw shots of downtown Detroit during the Lions' game last night.

I do hope that folks who came downtown for the [[college) basketball game or Lions game, were able to walk or take QLine downtown.

The camera shots on television were very, very nice.

And as they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words."

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post

I've checked the orientation of this development with the orientation of the Eddystone in the rendering using Google Earth. The shops and apartments would face Park Avenue, not Temple.

I just hope they don't build ground floor retail spaces into all these garages simply to meet the requirement. We all know that many of these spaces will indeed be dead zones near the arena with little need for retail. It would be much better to build a couple of levels of office space on the ground floor.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I just hope they don't build ground floor retail spaces into all these garages simply to meet the requirement. We all know that many of these spaces will indeed be dead zones near the arena with little need for retail. It would be much better to build a couple of levels of office space on the ground floor.
    I hope they do these things smartly.

Last time I checked folks who might live in that area, might need a dry cleaners, hair salon, a CVS, dentists, etc. etc.

This is Dunn Loring subway station in NoVa. They have built up all around it with 'smart development', a Harris Teeter, urgent care, hair salon, cleaners, places to eat, etc. etc. [[there are many others businesses not listed on the map). They had the subway station and bus bays and parking garage. Next they built apartments and corresponding 'smart consumer development'. Folks who live there can go all week without using a car.

The idea is a mini-city which has the basics eliminating a lot of unnecessary trips elsewhere.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Du...!4d-77.2283088
    Last edited by emu steve; December-17-17 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Pharmacy, convienienf store, mini hardware, ship/copy store would do well here. This area is about to be hit with 1000's of new residents over the next couple of years so the market is pretty ripe for the picking.

I'm also anticipating the rumored Target on Woodward to tie things up nicely.

Any updates on this, or the Eddystone redevelopment itself? It is already halfway through April, and I have not heard a peep about the Eddystone project or other "developments" around the arena, including the new residential proposed in between the LCA plaza and the main LCA garage.

Any updates on this, or the Eddystone redevelopment itself? It is already halfway through April, and I have not heard a peep about the Eddystone project or other "developments" around the arena, including the new residential proposed in between the LCA plaza and the main LCA garage.
    The parking that will support the Eddystone after its rehab is currently under construction adjacent to the building. I have seen quite a few hard hats in and around the Eddystone lately. I would imagine that project will be picking up steam this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    The parking that will support the Eddystone after its rehab is currently under construction adjacent to the building. I have seen quite a few hard hats in and around the Eddystone lately. I would imagine that project will be picking up steam this summer.
    Thank you for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    So, indeed, it seems that the project managers are using project management software, namely, the timeline for one project [[Eddystone) is dependent on the timeline for another project, the garage.

What we don't know, at least I have no idea, is whether the city has specific requirement for parking for the Eddystone such as one dedicated parking space per housing unit.

Even if the city didn't I would find it hard to believe anyone would want to live next to LCA and not have access to dedicated parking.

"Honey, I had to pay $40 to park the SUV in the LCA garage. Ugh!!!"

The city does have parking rules, and even if they didn't, the banks usually require a lot of parking as well.

imo the city should entirely ditch parking requirements and leave it up to the owners/investors to decide how much parking their projects need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The city does have parking rules, and even if they didn't, the banks usually require a lot of parking as well.

imo the city should entirely ditch parking requirements and leave it up to the owners/investors to decide how much parking their projects need.
    I'm not familiar with these issues in a city like Detroit and apartments but am familiar with them in suburban PUD [[e.g., town house developments). Where I live the requirement was 1.5 parking space per house but the developer provided 2.0 spaces per house.

I'd guess some of these parking spaces will be reserved for the WSU building patrons also.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-20-18 at 01:32 PM.

In this particular area, I don't have a problem with building parking/garages to accommodate the surrounding uses [[I know some will disagree with me on this.) If you build the ramp, and wrap it with residential/commercial uses all the better.

Just with Olympia, I am always very skeptical that anything but parking will get built. It is almost as if..., you can take them on their word and then some about any new parking announcements. But for any residential or other developments proposed by Olympia, super skipper's rule applies until the place opens.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast