Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Foxtown Grille To Close - With a Parting Shot at Chris Ilitch

I always figured they got a sweetheart deal on rent which benefitted both parties because Ilitch needed a fine dining rest. adjacent the Fox. When the Fox was quiet the rest. was dead or didn't bother to open. Now that the arena is open Chris Ilitch obviously figures he can do better.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ose/944771001/

That is the way it is going to be,it is business,nobody cares about loyalty or what happened yesterday it is a new dollar tomorrow.

I still do not get the whole 20 years in the same location renting,buildings were cheap the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I always figured they got a sweetheart deal on rent which benefitted both parties because Ilitch needed a fine dining rest. adjacent the Fox. When the Fox was quiet the rest. was dead or didn't bother to open. Now that the arena is open Chris Ilitch obviously figures he can do better.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ose/944771001/
    Right.

It makes total sense to assume everything in the story is a lie and the reality is actually 180 degrees to the opposite because after all Chris Ilitch is a bonafide member of the lucky sperm club plus Detroit Tigers royalty where the 401don is completely impartial.

They couldn't possibly be difficult landlords when their specialty is vacant property.

The rest of their non existent tenants never complain about backed up sewage, they are just happy to have boards on the windows.

hmm... what will be the replacement business?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    When the Fox was quiet the rest. was dead or didn't bother to open.
    True. Arriving on several Tuesdays around 8:15 PM over the past several years, despite being advertised as being open till 9:00 PM, they had either already closed or were in the process of closing. Nice restaurant when they bothered to open.

That space has been too big and too inconsistently busy to be a success for years now. Restaurants like that need to maintain the food & staff, let alone pay utilities & rent, for the "big event" nights, but they are not a daily occurrence. Now, though, with more and more stuff happening in close proximity in every direction, and the increased foot traffic, that space is a prime location. But, in order for that to work out for a new operator, it needs to be a little more mainstream and casual than Da Edouardo at least appeared [[I never ate there, so I can't say if it was those things or not). I also think it should be open breakfast, lunch and dinner. That's what I'd do with it. Note: message me here, Chris Ilitch, if you are still seeking an operator... I suspect, though, that they already know what is going into the space.

^ you can always flip them a email.

In these cases you never hear the whole story or the numbers aspect.

Concidering the way buildings were stripped in the past,it may have been prudent to put people in buildings triple net,in which the tenants pay taxes,maintenance etc. and just charge them $100 a month rent and when you are able to market value,they either pay the increases or move on.

It works for both parties building is occupied and maintained by a tenant that has a chance to get started with little funds.

A month to month lease screams that you are only going to be here until the market rate increases then it is either pay the rate or move on.
    Last edited by Richard; December-13-17 at 09:41 AM.

Hours were based on the owners whim...mediocre food quality and somewhat indifferent service...overpriced for the overall experience. Not feeling their pain.

How did the liquor store land the corner spot over there too? Is this the same joint that used to be down Woodward a bit?