Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Free Press Article on Delray

"Fran lives in Detroit’s Delray neighborhood, on a short, dead-end street along the banks of the Rouge River. Her front yard is a wide, weedy field where a whole block of houses and stores once stood. Her backyard is Zug Island, whose blackened, steel mill smokestacks tower behind her home, belching smoke and fire at all hours, infusing the air with the smell of chemicals."

https://www.freep.com/story/news/col...gan/676597001/

Excellent article!

A great story by John Carlisle, reminiscent of the work he once did for his DetroitBlog, on the people of what has long been one of the most fascinating parts of our city, as well as one of the oddest, and more recently one of the saddest.

My maternal grandmother came to Delray from Canada in 1919 as a young lady, after being hired by the local Bell telephone exchange as an operator. She always had a soft spot for the neighborhood, and stayed in touch for many many years with the Hungarian family she had boarded with. They would send over a poppy seed cake, some freshly made yogurt, and dark sweet red wine a couple of times a year.

That was pretty much the best article I've read in Freep/Detnews in years. Actual investigative journalism, no newswire crap or mindless local cheerleading.

Also, holy crap, do people live different lives in this region. Almost unfathomable.

I'll second what's said above. Riveting piece. I couldn't believe how long it was, based on the source.

fascinating read. i always wonder how all these down and out folks always have enough cash for cigarettes. if they smoke 1 pack/day @$7 = $2600/annual. average disability check is $1171 = $14,052/annual. hypothetically 18.5% income is on cigs WTF

What a great read...this is prize-winning journalism. Classic Carlisle!

Give that reporter a raise! And pair it with a budget to produce more work like this.

And to help make that possible, pay for a subscription!

This article provides an incentive.

The diminished state of Detroit's newspapers is depressing. But occasionally they publish something that inspires hope.
    Last edited by bust; December-11-17 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    The diminished state of Detroit's newspapers is depressing. But occasionally they publish something that inspires hope.
    Because that's all the budget allows for.

John did another very good long form Free Press piece back in September, which was a heartbreaking look at the Salvation Army food truck that cruises some of Detroit's poorest neighborhoods. He also did some stellar work on the U.P. over the past year or so. And I have kept around a few of his old DetroitBlog pieces that I found deeply human and moving in a way that I rarely find most journalism to be.

This is journalism. This is fantastic journalism. Subscribe to your local paper today.

Great article for sure but what did everyone think of the future of Delray?

Seems like the City has had the right idea for a long time on removing the residential living down there but has had major issues sticking to the plan.

Reselling the foreclosures? Moving people from one side to the other? I thought the goal was to move them out not spend the money shuffling them around the neighborhood.

The pictures and video with this article were from this summer. I've been thinking about the guy who said his furnace died. I think he also had a roof leak. I hope he found a better place before winter hit. I was also wondering if the city even plows the streets down there?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Great article for sure but what did everyone think of the future of Delray?

Seems like the City has had the right idea for a long time on removing the residential living down there but has had major issues sticking to the plan.

Reselling the foreclosures? Moving people from one side to the other? I thought the goal was to move them out not spend the money shuffling them around the neighborhood.
    Delray is but a ghost town of the past. Gone are the days of eating Sunday dinner at Al's Lounge while watching Fisher Body plant workers slam down Shot's and Beer in their greasy Blue coveralls, disappearing in a haze of cigarette smoke while telling tall stories that would make my mother blush if she heard them. Eating Chicken Paprikas or Beef Goulash while listening to the sound of Hunky fiddle music play. Or when finished, driving down to the river to watch the freighters roll by with their cargo bound for the Rouge River plant's hungry furnaces. Or ships carrying "Made in Detroit" goods outbound for some worldly destination all the while holding our noses as we passed Zug Island with it's green water canals that we knew was bad for our health.
    What remains is the broken promise of a future already passed.

A link to Delray's story; http://www.old-delray.com/Delray_Ghost_Town.htm